325Make your List!

    Dec 20, 2010

      Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, `who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.~Marianne Williamson

      Remember Christmas when we were kids? Most of us made a list, and just couldn't wait to open the presents. We would drool over the Sears toy catalog, imagining our favorite toys under the tree. A friend of mine really thought an orange, or a new pair of jeans was the most she would ever get. There wasn't much money going around in her family those days. She wouldn't even dream of having a Christmas tree, or presents under it. One year, she didn't even have a winter coat, and someone at school gave her one.

      But what if, just what if we could just imagine and it would come true. We could have anything we wanted, and it would just appear? Okay, we can't all be president, but we are president of our world!

      Two brothers, for whatever reason, didn't even graduate from high school. They bounced from job to job, and girl to girl, party to party, never staying two nights in the same place. They often bunked at their dad's home. And then, the unthinkable happened. Dad's house burned down. There was no insurance. What they thought of as their only security, was gone. One of the boys looked around at his situation, which was bleak, and didn't like what he saw. There was no light at the end of that tunnel for him. In the blink of an eye, his life changed overnight, he just didn't know it yet. The kid decided that 20 years from now, he would still be bouncing from place to place, if something didn't happen, and he knew that something was him.
      Right that day, he signed up for GED classes starting in a week. He still was homeless, but he showed up every single day. He decided he wanted to be a chef. He'd always liked to cook, but didn't know much. Every day was a struggle just to find a shower, and clean clothes. When he couldn't get a ride, he had to walk. After a few months, he had his GED. He also found a job washing dishes. He found a place to stay with a relative, who told him if he screwed up just once, he was out. He didn't screw up. He quit smoking. He got a haircut. After washing dishes for a couple months, a cook called in and he was asked to help out cooking. By the time another cook left, he had learned enough to step up. His boss found out about his dream to be a chef. A few phone calls and he found some classes the kids could enroll in that weren't too expensive. The kid was given permission to try a few new dishes from time to time, and business was picking up.
      Wherever the kid went he took a picture of the rubble of his dad's home, smoldering. He never wanted to be that desperate again. He met a girl at his cooking school, and they hit it off. Just a little hope, and they were on the road to great careers and a life together.
      Twenty years later. That boy lived his dream. He was a chef. They had a family and their own restaurant. His brother still was bouncing from place to place, looking pretty ragged.
      This year for Christmas, give yourself the gift of a dream. Dream big. Straighten your spine! Go for it. Don't let the fear of failure, or success keep you from trying! Put one foot in front of the other, make the phone call, keep the appointment. Become your dream.

      Celebrating Christmas: Don't let this Christmas go by without really celebrating the reason for the season. Visit your neighbors, even if its just for a few minutes.
      Bake extra cookies to give away, or a cake mix can be baked into 3 small round cakes! With frosting and sprinkles, it makes a nice gift. Sheet cake can be cut up on small plates for gifts. Even if you miss Christmas, do an after Christmas gift to someone you want to know is special to you. Go to church, sing Christmas carols. Organize a caroling party. Jesus really is the reason for the season, and doing something for others is the best way to remember his birthday, since he did everything for us!

      Easy Christmas Dessert:
      Bake ahead a rich chocolate cake mix, into a sheet, preferably with pudding. Cover or freeze `til Christmas. Make or buy hot fudge sauce, cool whip and cherries and several kinds of ice cream. Everyone makes their own dessert on Christmas day! All you did was bake a cake!

      For a crowd: Think pot-luck and buffet. Everyone brings one simple dish to pass and a plate of cookies. Or try a sloppy joe party, or taco bar. Even steaks on the grill and baked potatoes and salad is easy, especially if dad is cool with grilling! Don't try to do it all, you will just end up crabby and tired.

      To all of you, have a very Merry Christmas!!!!

      Keeping it simple,
      Sheryl