319How much do we owe?

    Nov 1, 2010
      The Simple Life

      It's very simple. Our country is in trouble. Can you be trillions of dollars in debt and not be in trouble? How did we get here? Tonight our national debt, according to the USdebtclock.org, our country, that's you and me, and our neighbors, our grandparents, and our coworkers, is $13,663 Trillion. That is each citizen from 1 second old, to drawing his/her last breath owes $43,489. There are 310 million people in our country right now. Each taxpayer share of our government debt is $124,001. Children couldn't pay, of course, neither do those who sneak into our country illegally.
      And, do you know how much a trillion dollars is?

      A million dollars in $100 dollar bills fills a brown paper grocery sack. A Billion dollars is a pallet of filled grocery sacks of $100 bills. A trillion dollars is a 1000 billion. That means a warehouse full of pallets of $100 dollar bills!

      Cut taxes? I hope not! Cut taxes to businesses? Not a good idea. We should be taking donations to bail ourselves out! The men who fought and died to do start our country would be pretty upset with us. You don't even want to know the national consumer debt! That is the debt that we owe for buying our toys on credit. But we don't want to pay for any of this. Sound like a spoiled child who wants a new pony, but doesn't have a clue as to the cost for feed, hay, board, equipment, Vet bills or time?

      No, we're not spoiled! Simple - our spending has to be cut. That means we have to start spending less than we take in. And we have to start paying off what we owe, which certainly seems impossible. But when you owe more than you make, you have to cut back. The borrower is the slave of the lender, whether it seems that way yet, or not.
      Since 2007 our national debt has increased 4.13 Billions dollars per DAY. Yes, that figure is correct, even though it seems almost impossible!

      In about 1983, we owed our first trillion dollars. Our debt has grown pretty steadily ever since. The biggest jumps have happened since the year 2000.

      We just want what we want when we want it, and we don't care how we get it. And we're not willing to take a look at the long run.
      By the time you read this, we will have had an election. Hopefully we have told our government that we need to make some changes. No matter who is in charge, we must make big cuts. Cut the frills. We all have to help. We can no longer sit back and let everyone take care of us. No cheating on unemployment. Or taxes. No more pork barrel spending because there is no pork barrel anymore- its empty! Get back to basics. We have to pay to play. Simplify.
      There is no alternative.

      In the Garden: It got coooollllld last night. It got down to 23 degrees at our house. If you have any plants or bulbs left to plant, time to get them in. Mulch around the base of small trees, to protect them from winter cold. Also use tree wrap to keep rodents from chewing on the bark of young trees when they get hungry this winter. If you haven't already, you might want to get the garden tilled. Drain and put the hose away, get all the shovels in the shed. Coating them with used motor oil will help keep them from rusting. If you can remove any weeds from perennial beds, you will be ahead in the spring.

      Pumpkin Cake
      1 pkg. Yellow cake mix
      ¾ c sugar
      ½ c oil
      1/2 (29 oz.) can pumpkin
      ¼ c water
      1 t cinnamon
      1 t ginger
      ½ t cloves
      3 eggs

      Mix completely with ½ c chopped nuts. Frost with cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. Nice moist cake!

      Don't forget to VOTE tomorrow!