313Fun Gardeing Ideas for you and the Kids!

    Jun 14, 2010

      NEW SENIOR GREETER

      Charlie, a new retiree greeter, just couldn't seem to get to work on time. Every day he was 5, 10, 15 minutes late. But he was a good worker, really tidy, clean-shaven, sharp-minded and a real credit to the company and obviously demonstrating their "Older Person Friendly" policies. One day the boss called him into the office for a talk.
      "Charlie, I have to tell you, I like your work ethic, you do a bang
      up job, but you're being late so often is quite bothersome."
      "Yes, I know boss, and I am working on it."
      "Well good, you are a team player. That's what I like to hear.
      It's odd though you're coming in late. I know you're retired from
      the Navy. What did they say if you came in late there?"
      "They said, 'Good morning, Admiral. Can I get you some coffee, sir?'"
      Inside Out Ravioli
      1 pound Ground Beef, extra lean
      1 medium Onion -- chopped
      3 cloves Garlic -- minced
      16 ounces Tomato Sauce
      6 ounces Tomato Paste
      1 tablespoon Parsley -- dried
      1/2 teaspoon Oregano
      1/2 teaspoon Salt
      1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper -- freshly ground
      6 ounces Rigatoni -- pasta, uncooked
      10 ounces Spinach, frozen -- chopped
      1 cup Cheddar Cheese -- shredded
      1/2 cup Bread Crumbs -- soft
      2 medium Eggs -- beaten
      1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese -- grated

      Brown ground beef, garlic and onion in a large skillet. Drain any excess fat, and add tomato sauce and tomato paste, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. Cook pasta according to package directions until just softened but not quite done. Drain and rinse with cold water. Put back into pan in which it was cooked. Add cooked spinach, cheddar cheese, bread crumbs, eggs and parmesan cheese. Spread mixture in a 9 x 13-inch greased baking dish. Top with meat mixture. Sprinkle more grated parmesan cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes
      Fun Ideas for a summer garden.

      1. Create a Favorites Garden
      Ask friends and family what is their favorite flower? Mom might be Sweet William, Dad, Moss Rose. Your best friends favorite might be foxglove. Now plant your garden accordingly. The kids can help pick their favorites and now the flower garden will be everyone's, so they will all enjoy it.
      2. Grow Veggies from Veggies
      My friend and her daughter planted their first vegetable garden together, but she
      thought seeds came from a paper packet. To teach her where seeds really came from, they rescued a few seeds from her tossed salad, dried them on paper towel, and stowed them away until spring. After planting and her first seedlings poked up, she'd learned an important lesson about the circle of life. Green beans, peppers, and squash are reliable and easy to grow. Store them in paper bags in a cool, dry place.
      3. Watch A Plant Take Root
      Start seeds in see-through plastic cups, planted close to the side. That way kids can watch the roots begin to grow. This gives kids a worm's eye view, and gets them excited about gardening.
      4. Chart A Garden's Growth
      Plant sunflowers next to a tall post. Mark everyone's height on the post. The kids will love marking each week on the post for the height of one sunflower. They will be amazed at how fast they grow! By next year the marks will fade away, and you can do it again!

      5. Make Weeding Fun

      How do you get your kids to "weed" when they might not know what a weed is?
      Kids love to help. Give them one weed, and help them take turns pulliing only that type of weed. They do it like a matching game. Watch them in the beginning to make sure they get it right. Have something fun planned for a reward when you are all done.

      Anyone can have a house, but it's love that makes a home.

      Keeping it simple,
      Sheryl