308Simple Egg bake for Spring!

    Mar 15, 2010

      I love watching Spring commence! The fields are getting bare patches. The deer are meandering back to the woods later in the morning. The birds are returning. And the best part? The sun is shining – making for a really wonderful spring. Ever remember such a sunny February-March? I can't. Friends who went South are complaining about the cold, while here at home, we have been enjoying the atypical warmth. And it was still a nice winter! There was snow for seasonal winter sports, but the roads stayed clear and dry. That's what I like. Safe driving conditions.
      Yesterday we missed out on some rain that was forecast, and it went south. We could really use a good rain, but it will be at least a few days. But the Maple Syrup sap is running! I predict a bumper crop of syrup this year. Maybe you can take the kids and visit a syrup operation. You might have a few trees you can tap yourself for a hobby. Even if you only make a gallon or two, it is a learning experience for the kids.
      Its also time to start getting your seeds started. Won't be long till we can start planting again. Just don't start too early with your seeds. Holding them too long in case of cool weather, and they just get leggy. I'd rather plant them out a little small than way overgrown.
      Start planning what you want to plant, and where. You can get a lot of garden prep done long before planting time. As soon as the frost is gone, and the ground dried up a little there is a lot you can do to get the garden ready. Turning in some compost early is a great way to get the garden ready to go. Two years ago we had a neighbor dump some composted pig manure on our garden. It had always grown well, but that year our crops doubled, and they are still doing better.
      Take one of your spring vacation days and pack a lunch. See how many free things you and the kids can do. Hike, picnic, walk on the beach, - visit a farm.
      Maple syrup and now Steelhead season, soon it will be Trout season! That leads to mushrooms, fiddleheads, and then, one of my favorites, strawberry season!
      There are so many things to do in Northern Michigan, we never have to leave the state. If you go camping, you will never run out of fun things to do and great places to see.
      Pack light. Take only what you really need for camping and try to get along without all the extras. The more you pack, the more you have to take care of and juggle around when you get there. Just don't forget your pillow from home. Your favorite pillow can make or break your camping trip.
      Whatever you do this spring – and there are so many options – you can't help having fun in the great outdoors of Northern Michigan.

      Simple Egg Casserole
      A nice easy breakfast you can have on the go, if you make ahead.

      4 slices bread torn in 9 x 13 pan
      brown sausage or use ham cubed and sprinkled over bread. Sprinkle 1 c cheese, such as Co-Jack or cheddar.

      Mix 6 eggs, and 2 c milk, salt, dry mustard, and pepper. Pour over all. Bake 350` for 30 minutes. I like to add onion and crumbled cooked bacon, too. Green pepper is good, too.

      Keeping it simple,
      Sheryl