307The Simple Life - Choices

    Mar 15 8:10 AM

      "The Family Man", starring Nicolas Cage, is a movie that makes you think about what life could have been, had we made different choices. It's about the people around us, and who we are to them.
      I saw a beautiful little girl the other day. She had a dirty face, and her hair was uncombed, at least from the day before, but it was beautiful curly hair, and she had a very pretty face. She just wasn't really being taken care of the way it seemed she should. Oh, I know, everyone has a bad day, but this four year old looked pretty neglected. Who is too busy to wash a child's face, or comb their hair? Did she have breakfast that morning?
      I'll never know. I hope it was just an atypical day.
      If we have kids, or loved ones, it is our job to take the best possible care of them that we can. If we didn't have proper parenting, we can take parenting classes to learn how to be a good parent. We have to learn skills for jobs, why not parenting? We can hang out with healthy families. But being a good parent has to be something you want. It takes a lot of hard work.
      I talked to a young man. He lost his license. He had a record. He still had to live at home because where would he go? I'd say he was pretty fortunate his parents let him live at home. But that one night of drinking, and getting pulled over, what a huge price he had to pay. His friends have jobs, cars, girlfriends. Some of them are getting married and have kids of their own.
      But he is left behind because of his own careless actions.
      Someone said life is what happens to us. But isn't life what we choose? We are, for the most part, the result of our choices, good or bad. So, let them be good ones!
      We are not always educated about the evil that can happen to us. It can look good for a while. People pretend to be friends. Good people are often naïve about people who are not so good. It takes time to really get to know the true person underneath. A very important thing to find out who really loves us and run as fast as we can from those who don't. And to protect those in our charge, who are too young to care for themselves.
      When we live by the rules, the consequences are not nearly so harsh. Sure, bad things definitely happen to good people. But we don't have to make things worse.
      Do all the good you can in every way you can. Leave a legacy of love, forgiveness, generosity, and respect.
      There are so many life stories about victims. Victims of all kinds of abuse. People who were not protected by their parents. We are hurt, so we hurt others. We don't even care. But it is our job to care. To turn it around, save the next generation. It may be true that most people who do evil had evil done to them, but it doesn't make it right. There is always a choice.
      Caring about others means caring for ourselves, first.

      It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not. ~Author Unknown

      We have to learn to be our own best friends because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemies. ~Roderick Thorp

      Have a Pastie party!

      If you've been to the U.P. you've probably had a pastie. If you haven't had one, you are missing out.
      A week ago, I realized it had been a long time since we had any pasties. Rick volunteered to be the vegetable peeler/chopper. In no time we had 2 dozen pasties all baked and ready for the freezer. If you need a quick meal, or something easy to take to work, this is a great idea. And, they will last for several weeks in the freezer, for something quick.

      For the dough, I use a 4 cup homemade pie crust recipe. You can use whatever dough, ready made, etc. My recipe is 4 c flour, 1 c veg. shortening, 1 t salt, 1 c water with 1 t vinegar. Mix to the right consistency. Should be elastic, not dry or wet. Makes a ball easily. Roll into 8 balls. Roll out thin.

      For filling. Approximately 1 lb. lean hamburger, ½ pound hot sausage, 6 to 8 large potatoes, 1 small rutabaga, 1 chopped onion, several carrots peeled and sliced, or put through a food mill, 1 t salt, generous sprinkle pepper. Mix in large bowl with your hands. Put one big handful of filling, and fold dough over, sealing edges. Bake 1 hour @ 350. If you bake all at once, trade pans from top to bottom of oven half way through, to keep evenly brown. Freeze, or use in several days.

      Can you see the daffodils in your yard, yet? They are up about 3 inches!

      Keeping it simple,
      Sheryl