305Simple Belly Button Reset

    Feb 15, 2010

      A Doctor I know was about to go into a meeting when his cell phone rang.
      It was his wife, she was nearly in tears. Their daughter Kelly was crying in the background. It seems that Kelly (who was 4) didn't want to get dressed, she didn't want to eat her breakfast, and the time for the school bus was getting closer. The doctor looked at his watch and saw that he only had about 3 minutes. Put Kelly on, he said. His daughter came on the phone. Sobbing. He could barely understand her. "Okay," he said, "I can't understand what you are saying," he said in a calm voice. He repeated this several times as she attempted to talk and she became calmer. He said to her, "do you know what your pointer finger is?" "Yes," she answered.

      "Okay, I need you to do something for me, point your finger straight out, okay?" "Okay," she said. She did. "Okay, now touch it to your belly button." She did. "Now press your belly button, okay?" She did, and by now she was giggling.

      "Okay," he said, "We just reset you (like a computer), so now you are going to get dressed, and eat your breakfast, and get on the bus and have a really great day, okay?" More giggles, "Okay, Dad." Now, put Mom back on, okay? We need to reset Mom. Even more giggles, "Okay, Dad." Mom comes back on and they go through the same procedure. Now Mom is giggling. "Okay," says Dad. "Now you are reset. Kelly is going to eat breakfast, get dressed, get on the bus, and you are both going to have a great day, okay?" Giggles. "Okay." "I'll call back later, okay?"

      When he called back later that afternoon, everyone was happy and the day had gone great. At times of stress, they occasionally used this as a way of lightening the situation. The "Belly – button Reset" became a famous technique at least in this family, because it worked.

      This just goes to show, that sometimes you just need to use your head and try something different. After all, the definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." If something isn't working for you, change things up.

      Sometimes a meltdown just needs a good laugh! Thanks Dr. D, for this great story!

      * * *

      Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. ~~Mother Teresa

      * * *

      Try some easy Broccoli salad to put some fiber in your day, and some vitamins in your winter day!
      Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese Salad

      1 head broccoli
      1 head cauliflower
      1 med onion
      1 c grated cheese
      1/2 lb. Crumbled bacon
      3/4c miracle whip
      3 T. wine vinegar

      chop the veggies and mix in the rest of ingredients. Refrigerate for several hours to blend flavors before serving.

      Keeping it simple,
      Sheryl