304Happy Valentines Day Weekend!!!

    Feb 11, 2010
      Note to my readers -

      I have not always gotten my column posted in any orderly fashion this past year. Since I am going back to school for my degree in Psychology, I am spending alot of time studying. And, I am having a great deal of fun! Who knew I would love algebra??? I really love all my classes, and though they are a challenge, they are so rewarding. I have great friends I have met at school.

      If you are an older student, as well, I urge you to talk to a local college, like I did. It was much easier than I thought! There is alot of great financial aide out there, some of which you do not have to pay back!

      I am not by far the oldest one going back to school. I am 50. There are many students older, and in Michigan right now, lots of people like me find it necessary to upgrade our skills! Sure there are younger students, but I am far from the minority.

      Don't wait for those around you to tell you to go back to school. They should be encouraging to your dreams, but if not, go for yourself. I was feeling a bit guilty for all my study time, but my husband is really encouraging me! He understands wanting to do my best, and I am thankful for that.

      I think often those around us are not encouraging, because they feel we might not love them when we get a degree, or we will think we are superior. But, hopefully that is not the case. We want skills to help us in our lives and careers.

      Even if I wasn't looking forward to changing careers, I still feel going back to school to be one of the best investments of my life. If I was 90 and had not went back, I would go now. You are never too old to learn!

      Here's to a brighter future for us all!
      Sheryl

      And, ps, this is what I love about Psychology. Our minds do control our happiness. We choose, for the most part, the outcomes of our lives. We can blames everything but ourselves, but when the rubber hits the road, our lives are what we make of them.

      Keeping it Simple, is my committment to getting the junk out of my life, the hatred, unforgiveness, and negativity, and just putting a smile on my face, and letting my brain and body follow. Here's to all the love and laughter a person can choose.

      The Simple Life

      Tax returns, who doesn't love `em? Of course we all know that they tell us that it is better if we don't get a large tax return. But who doesn't love a windfall? Especially in a year like this? Now here's the thing – planning ahead so as not to waste it. What will you do with yours, if you get one? Maybe you are struggling just to get by? Maybe your vehicle is on its last wheels? Maybe you have a plan to make money with your money. How? You might invest it. Or, you might pay ahead on your mortgage. Did you know that if you pay ahead on the principal, you save ALL the interest from the amount of extra payments you pay? That can be a whopping lot of money! If your interest is $300 a month and you pay ahead 6 months, you just saved $1800., making a quick profit on your return! Or maybe you know something that is for sale that you could buy and make a profit on. – But buyer beware, things are not always as they seem. Better be darn sure the item is what you think it is, and that you really can make a net profit.
      But trying to make a lasting profit out of your tax return is a great idea. Just spending it will just make it go away. What can you say you did with the money 6 months from now?
      How about starting this year to write down what you did with the money. You might want to keep it in a separate bank account, and wait it out until you decide what you really want to do with it,
      Okay, spend $100. of it. It is your money, and you deserve a splurge once in a while. But how can you really make that splurge pay off? There's the challenge.
      Maybe you let your credit card get a little out of hand? Getting caught up is a great way to save money.
      But if your all caught up, and you have some savings for emergencies, maybe you can save your tax refund for a family vacation, or (!) how about a Valentines treat for your family.
      One thing about it, you can't go wrong if you are making a memory! That just may be the best investment of all.

      For you see, each day I love you more, Today more than yesterday and less than tomorrow.~Rosemonde Gerard

      Love is a symbol of eternity. It wipes out all sense of time, destroying all memory of a beginning and all fear of an end. ~Author Unknown

      Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker. ~Author Unknown

      Valentine's Day Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
      Who doesn't like macaroni and cheese? Here's a recipe that is down home good. Comfort food for your honey, or your Valentine's day party!
      1/2 pound elbow macaroni, 3 T butter, 3 T flour, 1 T powdered mustard, 3 c milk, 1/2 c yellow onion, finely diced, 1 bay leaf , 1/2 paprika, 1 large egg, 12 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded, 1 t salt, sprinkle black pepper, 3 T butter 1 c bread crumbs or crushed cracker crumbs, if desired.
      Directions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
      In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente.
      While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for about five minutes. Make sure it's free of lumps. Stir in the milk, onion, bay leaf, and paprika. Simmer for ten minutes and remove the bay leaf.
      Temper in the egg. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
      Melt the butter in a saute pan and toss the bread crumbs to coat. Top the macaroni with the bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for five minutes before serving.
      Remember to save leftovers for fried Macaroni and Cheese.