Empire ship

  • zak_ukm
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
      I'd forgotten it was the first today and so Empire month...

      Oh well, lets kick it off then with a quick idea I had for an
      independent ship...

      The Halfling Hot Pot Cog

      There are always a few `adventurous' Halfling types whose heart yearns
      for adventure and travel, combined with good food. A few hardy types
      who can stand the seasickness (well throwing up leaves room for even
      more food!) have even managed to take their culinary delights to sea.
      After a few hair raising (and belly emptying) experiences they
      realised that an unarmed ship was not such a good idea and so set
      about arming it in a traditional Halfling way – hence the hot pot
      became a sea going weapon of mastication.

      Independent ship
      50 points
      2 battle honours
      2 crew
      Max 1 per 1000 point fleet.

      Halfling hot pot:
      Fixed forward firing. This causes a double attack – a cauldron
      catapult, 3"-9" range, must aim high if target possesses a high
      location, can fire over any obstacle within the first 3", with a -1
      save due to the heavy iron cauldron that are utilised. This is
      followed by a hot pot soup splatter attack – if the cauldron manages
      to hit the target then make a second dice roll (regardless of whether
      the cauldron hit was saved or not). On a 5+ a crew counter is removed
      from the target ship as the crew are doused in boiling hot liquid!
      (Dwarf ships do need to be damaged before this soup can scald crew)

      Locations:
      4: Sail, 5+ save, no further move
      5; hotpot, 5+ save, hot pot destroyed
      6: hull, 4+ save.

      Movement: Sail 6"(9")
      5+ below waterline save
      2 below hits

      Modelling ideas:
      I plan to use an old plastic mighty empires ship as is, but paint a
      suitably 'halfling' sail on it... I'll post pics once I've finished.

      I've put the template inthe empire fleet folder....
    • Bill Greenwald
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
        This is a neat idea, but I was wondering if the smells of good food
        would be a big draw to the more revenous beasts of the sea. Perhaps a
        die roll which would have creatures that eat their prey as an attack
        (dark elf squadrons, Sea Dragons, Megalledon or Gargantuan) would
        chow-down on the Halfling vessel instead of an intended Empire ship.
        Purchasing a hafling ship would be a strategic choice when facing sea
        monsters or dark elves. Maybe, even Orcs would be tempted to the
        taste of Halfling flesh!

        Bill

        --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "zak_ukm" <zak_ukm@...> wrote:

        > I'd forgotten it was the first today and so Empire month...
        >
        > Oh well, lets kick it off then with a quick idea I had for an
        > independent ship...
        >
        > The Halfling Hot Pot Cog
        >
        > There are always a few `adventurous' Halfling types whose heart yearns
        > for adventure and travel, combined with good food. A few hardy types
        > who can stand the seasickness (well throwing up leaves room for even
        > more food!) have even managed to take their culinary delights to sea.
        > After a few hair raising (and belly emptying) experiences they
        > realised that an unarmed ship was not such a good idea and so set
        > about arming it in a traditional Halfling way � hence the hot pot
        > became a sea going weapon of mastication.
        >
        > Independent ship
        > 50 points
        > 2 battle honours
        > 2 crew
        > Max 1 per 1000 point fleet.
        >

        > Halfling hot pot:
        > Fixed forward firing. This causes a double attack � a cauldron
        > catapult, 3"-9" range, must aim high if target possesses a high
        > location, can fire over any obstacle within the first 3", with a -1
        > save due to the heavy iron cauldron that are utilised. This is
        > followed by a hot pot soup splatter attack � if the cauldron manages
        > to hit the target then make a second dice roll (regardless of whether
        > the cauldron hit was saved or not). On a 5+ a crew counter is removed
        > from the target ship as the crew are doused in boiling hot liquid!
        > (Dwarf ships do need to be damaged before this soup can scald crew)
        >
        > Locations:
        > 4: Sail, 5+ save, no further move
        > 5; hotpot, 5+ save, hot pot destroyed
        > 6: hull, 4+ save.
        >
        > Movement: Sail 6"(9")
        > 5+ below waterline save
        > 2 below hits
        >

        > Modelling ideas:
        > I plan to use an old plastic mighty empires ship as is, but paint a
        > suitably 'halfling' sail on it... I'll post pics once I've finished.
        >
        > I've put the template inthe empire fleet folder....

      • Jeff Moore
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
          "This is a neat idea, but I was wondering if the smells of good food
          would be a big draw to the more revenous beasts of the sea."

          Or it only affects beasts that are downwind. Could be interesting when
          the wind shifts, or if the area is becalmed (either naturally or
          magically).

          Jeff
        • zak_ukm
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 2, 2008
            Nice ideas there Jeff and Bill,

            Howabout:
            The great smell of the cooking sometimes has the adverse affect of
            causing monsters to be drawn to the cog ignoring the orders of their
            summoner / commander.

            If a Halfling hot pot is on the seas, before any sea monster or dark
            elf monster vessel moves, place the elf range ruler `downwind' from
            the Halfling hot pot ship.
            If the monster falls under the template it must make an underwater
            save / standard save or be forced to move directly towards the
            Halfling hot pot and attack it with its most ferocious attack (i.e.
            Doomreavers must frenzy, etc) and always choose location 5 (the
            hotpot) if allowed to choose.
            This effect will last until the ship is sunk – even if location 5 is
            destroyed or the cog is abandoned.

            --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Moore" <jpattern@...> wrote:

            > "This is a neat idea, but I was wondering if the smells of good food
            > would be a big draw to the more revenous beasts of the sea."
            >
            > Or it only affects beasts that are downwind. Could be interesting when
            > the wind shifts, or if the area is becalmed (either naturally or
            > magically).
            >
            > Jeff

          • Holger
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 2, 2008
              Hi!
              zak_ukm wrote:
              > Nice ideas there Jeff and Bill,
              > Howabout:
              > The great smell of the cooking sometimes has the adverse affect of
              > causing monsters to be drawn to the cog ignoring the orders of their
              > summoner / commander.
              > If a Halfling hot pot is on the seas, before any sea monster or dark
              > elf monster vessel moves, place the elf range ruler `downwind' from
              > the Halfling hot pot ship.
              > If the monster falls under the template it must make an underwater
              > save / standard save or be forced to move directly towards the
              > Halfling hot pot and attack it with its most ferocious attack (i.e.
              > Doomreavers must frenzy, etc) and always choose location 5 (the
              > hotpot) if allowed to choose.
              > This effect will last until the ship is sunk – even if location 5 is
              > destroyed or the cog is abandoned.

              If in play against Dark-elves it could acquire pretty fast a rat-tail of
              maybe several Doomreavers (save only 5-6).
              The half-pot :) cannot out-run 6" beast move, thus it is almost
              certainly doomed, however disrupting the DE squadron(s) for at least 2
              turns - would be fun to see.
              /Holger
            • Bill Greenwald
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 2, 2008
                Zak
                You have hit the nail on the head. This was exactly what I meant.
                The actual game mechanism of how it works needs to be contrived,
                however.

                I think the "down wind" approach is an excellent one. I also think
                that the odor would spread out and cover an area, down wind, like the
                smell of good cooking fills your house. Maybe, a round template area
                effect that is XD6 down wind of the cog would work. The wind shifts
                and gusts so there would be a random factor for the odor movement.
                For a squadron of Doom Reavers; would the odor draw the whole
                squadron, even if only one is in range? This would effect the Death
                Fortress dragon as well.

                Now, thinking about tactics. An Empire player may purchase one or
                more of these cogs for the very purpose of distraction.

                It would also seem appropriate that if the monster moves through the
                smell template during its move that it changes direction to follow.

                Another, thought: a succesful hit with the hot pot would cause smells
                to eminate from the target ship and therefore attract hungry monsters,
                too.

                Finally, after the hot pot has fired the cog no longer gives off it's
                delightful odor. Also, it takes a turn or two to create another
                batch. A "cooking" marker could be used to indicate the cog is giving
                off smells and can only then attract hungry beasts. This could make
                for an alternate tactic that could drive monsters nuts.

                Bill

                > Howabout:
                > The great smell of the cooking sometimes has the adverse affect of
                > causing monsters to be drawn to the cog ignoring the orders of their
                > summoner / commander.
                >
                > If a Halfling hot pot is on the seas, before any sea monster or dark
                > elf monster vessel moves, place the elf range ruler `downwind' from
                > the Halfling hot pot ship.
                > If the monster falls under the template it must make an underwater
                > save / standard save or be forced to move directly towards the
                > Halfling hot pot and attack it with its most ferocious attack (i.e.
                > Doomreavers must frenzy, etc) and always choose location 5 (the
                > hotpot) if allowed to choose.
                > This effect will last until the ship is sunk – even if location 5 is
                > destroyed or the cog is abandoned.
              • rasmuslundegaard
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 2, 2008
                  Hi

                  hehe

                  I really !really! like the ideas of the hafling hot pot - they are
                  very man o war'is in their style. About time someone other than the
                  orcs get something to laugh at.

                  If the opponent is a DE player, this hot pot ship is extremely
                  powerfull. It can disrupt all formations, draw monsters away from
                  their real target and potentially create a lot of stragglers. I think
                  this is a little too powerfull.

                  Suggestions:
                  1) The smell only affects summoned monsters. The DE monsters are not
                  affected (or rather they are affected but are trained enough to ignore
                  it, just like a policedog).

                  2) The hafling cog should be more expensive.

                  3) The stew smell should affect crews of most races in some ways. (and
                  the cog should then, probably, be more expensive)

                  I like either option 1 or 3. 1 supports a well balanced game, at the
                  price of some fun. 3 supports a fun game with more randomness, at the
                  price of "realism" and balance.

                  Regards
                  Rasmus

                  PS: oh, and by the way. I don't generally think of Man o' War as a
                  realistic wargame... I mean: steam ships fighting galleys! come on!
                  what did you say? Elves? they are perfectly natural! Nothing
                  unrealistic about neither them nor their flying dragons!
                • rasmuslundegaard
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 2, 2008
                    Hi Bill

                    --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Greenwald"
                    <wag4803055@...> wrote:

                    > Zak
                    > You have hit the nail on the head. This was exactly what I meant.
                    > The actual game mechanism of how it works needs to be contrived,
                    > however.
                    >
                    > I think the "down wind" approach is an excellent one. I also think
                    > that the odor would spread out and cover an area, down wind, like the
                    > smell of good cooking fills your house.

                    I suggest a teardrop shaped template, 6" (9"?) long and with the
                    radius at the broadest point at 3"(ish). Gives the effect of the smell
                    spreading out and still makes for easy measuring.

                    Rasmus
                  • zak_ukm
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 3, 2008
                      Yep agree that the mechanism has to be contrived...

                      Howsabout:
                      Before the Hot Pot has fired place the smell template down wind of the
                      hotpot.
                      Once the Hot Pot has fired, if it hits a ship, that ship becomes the
                      source of the smell and the template is laid accordingly until the end
                      phase.
                      If the target is missed roll scatter and artillery dice to see where
                      the hot pot lands – this location becomes the source of the smell
                      until the end phase (if it falls on another ship it does not suffer a
                      hot pot hit, but can still suffer a beast attack).

                      If any beast or dark elf monster is within this area when activated
                      they must make a standard save / below waterline save or be attracted
                      to the smell of the Hot pot and move towards the source of the smell.
                      If they reach the source they must attack it with their most ferocious
                      attack (i.e. Doomreavers must frenzy, etc) and always choose location
                      5 the hotpot or the location that was hit by the hotpot attack if
                      given the choice.
                      Once location 5 of the Hot Pot Cog is damaged the smell no longer
                      emanates.
                      Doomreavers can be puilled out of squadron coherence by this effect.

                      I've made a template:
                      its a rough cone shape - approx 1" across at the 'point' where the
                      ship will sit, 6" across at the widest end and approx 11" long.

                      I've stuck it in the empire folder for perusal....
                      easy to modify to a smaller size, but if its 6" long the source vessel
                      will almost certainly be reached by the monster, where as a bigger
                      template means the monster might not make it (I wouldnt want it to be
                      a definite result)...

                      Zak

                      --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "rasmuslundegaard"
                      <rasmuslundegaard@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Bill
                      >
                      > --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Greenwald"
                      > <wag4803055@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Zak
                      > > You have hit the nail on the head. This was exactly what I meant.
                      > > The actual game mechanism of how it works needs to be contrived,
                      > > however.
                      > >
                      > > I think the "down wind" approach is an excellent one. I also think
                      > > that the odor would spread out and cover an area, down wind, like the
                      > > smell of good cooking fills your house.
                      >
                      > I suggest a teardrop shaped template, 6" (9"?) long and with the
                      > radius at the broadest point at 3"(ish). Gives the effect of the smell
                      > spreading out and still makes for easy measuring.
                      >

                      > Rasmus

                    • Bill Greenwald
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 3, 2008
                        I LOVE the smell template! Adding an ocean blue color around the
                        clouds would complete it nicely.

                        I think the source of the smell should be permanat on a target ship
                        until eliminated by washing it overboard by die roll and assigned crew.

                        I also think that a hot pot fired load that misses should dissapate in
                        the water without any further effect. Maybe attract sharks; bad for
                        crew clinging to debris.

                        Another suggestion was to have only summoned monsters be affected.
                        Keeping in line with other game that use the hot pot or Master Chef,
                        like Blood Bowl, the effect happens on all races, even undead, who do
                        not eat. So I don't think the DE monsters training can prevent them
                        from being affected, however, a modifier of -1 to the below waterline
                        save for a summoned monster would take the DE training into account.
                        A +1 to the save of the DE monster would also work. The choice we
                        make will determine how effective the hot pot is in game terms. Since
                        the DE would be unfairly targeted by this weapon, I think the latter
                        save modifier would be fairer.

                        Perhaps rules that would allow the hot pot to affect crew of other
                        races like Rat Ogres, Kroxigors, Black Orcs, etc, whereby these
                        creatures, if on board, would take control of the vessel and steer it
                        towards the cog because of hunger. This could also affect all flyers
                        except dwarf ones.

                        I don't think the Doom Reaver Frenzy works here as the creatures
                        actions are no longer dictated by its normal training and nature,
                        especially with the "6" result of attacking and the swimming to the
                        bottom. It would seem that it would continue to attack until it had
                        gobbled up all of the good tasting morsels. In game terms having all
                        monsters react the same way to the hot pot smells would be simpler to
                        implement.

                        So, lets get a consensus on basic rules

                        1) Summoned monsters are affected when failing an below waterline
                        un-modified save, while DE monsters are affected at a failed +1
                        modified save.

                        2) Template for down range smell is permanent as long as the halflings
                        are "Cooking". The other side of this marker would say "Ingredients".

                        3) When the hot pot is fired and a hit occurs (no save possible and no
                        damage occurs) the target ship becomes the source of the smell. An
                        assigned crew can wash the smell source overboard on a roll of 5 or 6.
                        If there is more than 1 source of smell then a random die roll will
                        choose for each monster affected. A hot pot miss simply dissapates in
                        the water near by.

                        Once the hot pot is fired a new batch is prepared by placing the
                        "ingredients" marker next to the cog and then at the end of the turn
                        it is flipped over to "cooking". During this turn the cog cannot be
                        involved in a boarding action or fighting fires or any other action
                        that requires crew allocation.

                        4) Monsters affected will move directly toward the source of the smell
                        until it makes contact with the source and attacks the location where
                        the hot pot is on the halfling cog or on the location hit by the hot
                        pot catapult. When that location is destroyed (dammaged) the smell
                        dissapates and the monster is no longer affected. Its hunger sated.
                        Normal attack procedures apply as do saves. Monsters that are part of
                        a squadron that are affected will become independent as long as the
                        effect lasts and them become "stragglers" until reunited with the
                        squadron.

                      • zak_ukm
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 3, 2008
                          Hehe - like this alot.
                          Do you think the hotpot is a fire every other turn weapon then -
                          'cooking' is a 'reloading' marker a la hellhammers... that sounds fine
                          if the smell sticks to th target as that is potentially a powerful
                          disruptive effect.

                          Assigned crew can do nothing else for the turn and cannot take part in
                          boarding actions? Have to assign crew as soon as hit?

                          I'll adjust the template next week to a blue background - hadnt
                          crossed my mind when quickly knocking it up....

                          I was thinking originally of specifiying the halfling cog as an
                          unaffiliated 'ally' of all good fleets (elf, dwarf, brett and empire),
                          so even for the empire fleet it had a chance of not turning up...

                          <wag4803055@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > ship will sit, 6" across at the widest end and approx 11" long.
                          > >
                          > > I've stuck it in the empire folder for perusal....
                          > > easy to modify to a smaller size, but if its 6" long the source vessel
                          > > will almost certainly be reached by the monster, where as a bigger
                          > > template means the monster might not make it (I wouldnt want it to be
                          > > a definite result)...
                          > >
                          > > Zak
                          > >

                          > > --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "rasmuslundegaard"
                          > > <rasmuslundegaard@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hi Bill
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Greenwald"

                          > like the
                          > > >
                          > > > I suggest a teardrop shaped template, 6" (9"?) long and with the
                          > > > radius at the broadest point at 3"(ish). Gives the effect of the
                          smell
                          > > > spreading out and still makes for easy measuring.

                        • Holger
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 3, 2008
                            Hi!

                            Bill wrote:
                            >So, lets get a consensus on basic rules
                            (...)
                            >3) When the hot pot is fired and a hit occurs (no save possible and no
                            >damage occurs) the target ship becomes the source of the smell. An
                            >assigned crew can wash the smell source overboard on a roll of 5 or 6.
                            >If there is more than 1 source of smell then a random die roll will
                            >choose for each monster affected. A hot pot miss simply dissapates in
                            >the water near by.

                            2 comments:
                            a) I would NOT reduce the damage to zero!!
                            Taking away both the damage by the cauldron and the scalding leaves as
                            the ONLY purpose of the Cog the dissipation of monsters, especially if
                            it anyways fires only every second round. Then with just one monster of
                            the table it is just not effecient to spend that many points on that
                            independent, the only interesting situation would be against Dark elves.
                            I would keep at least the scalding attack, and if a few lead filled
                            skulls can do major damage in the MoW physics, then a big filled
                            cauldron should do as well.

                            b) I would also vote for dissipation in the water in the event of a
                            miss, the scatter dice would make it much too powerful.

                            *Me too likes da smell template *fetches da big eatin' knife*

                            /Holger
                          • Bill Greenwald
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 4, 2008
                              Holger
                              You make a good point. I would think that the Hot Pot would not shoot
                              the pot, too. Would your wife or mother throw out a well seasoned
                              griddle?. I don't think so, unless you broke it. If you see my
                              point, a halfling Master Chef would never catapult his best seasoned
                              cauldron into an enemy ship.

                              The Hot Pot can only be fired every other turn, but if it is not fired
                              then the source of the smell remains on board and the "Cooking" marker
                              remains also.

                              I also agree that the cog can be allied with any friendly (dwarf, elf
                              or human - Bretonnian, Norse, Empire) fleet.

                              All

                              How about a special crew; Treeman @ 50 points?

                              It can fight in boarding actions at +2.
                              It can be used as an anti-flyer weapon by throwing rocks.
                              It can double as a makeshift mast if immobile.
                              It can grapple other ships and hold them fast.

                              All four uses at double the special crew price.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 4, 2008
                                Holger, I missed this one.

                                Yes, keep the scalding attack. On a roll of 5 or 6 a random crew is
                                eliminated from the targe ship.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 4, 2008
                                  Hi

                                  Question:
                                  What happens if the hot pot hits a monster? Does it get scalding
                                  damage? Does it attack itself in a frenzy? Does it dive to avoid the
                                  pain? Does it start running as fast as possible away from other
                                  monsters? Does it just ignore it?

                                  I agree with Holger, that the Hot pot needs to keep the scalding
                                  effect against other ships. Even though I don't like to have weapons
                                  target crew. It makes the small ships very easy to decrew!
                                  (One hit from a hot pot gives a 1/3 chance of the ship being
                                  abandoned, and thus out of the fighting. That is A LOT better than
                                  hitting your enemy with 1 cannon).
                                  Maybe the scalding don't kill. Roll a dice for every crew; on a 4+ it
                                  saves (avoids the scalding) on a 1, 2 or 3 it is hit by the hot soup.
                                  Crew that are hit does not give +1 in boarding actions this turn,
                                  although they may die in the normal way.

                                  This would change the tactical use of the hot pot. It cannot sink
                                  anything, but it is a great tactical weapon to either mess up the
                                  formations of fleets with lots of monsters, be it DE (at +1 as
                                  suggested by Bill), summoned or flyers. OR it can e used at any other
                                  race, to soften up big ships by potentially halving their close combat
                                  modifier.

                                  These are just ideas! Take what can be used, ignore the rest.

                                  Regards
                                  Rasmus
                                • zak_ukm
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 9, 2008
                                    Wow, a simple idea has ended up with a logn explanation of how it works...

                                    here's my thoughts on the hot pot weapon (and I'm likely to make this
                                    the final draft...)

                                    Halfling hot pot:
                                    Fixed forward firing. This causes a special attack – a cauldron
                                    catapult, 3"-9" range, must aim high if target possesses a high
                                    location, can fire over any obstacle within the first 3", if this hits
                                    the target they are subject to a hot pot soup splatter attack – do not
                                    roll a save for the location hit, instead roll a d6 and on a 5+ a
                                    single crew counter is removed from the target ship as the crew are
                                    doused in boiling hot broth! Place a `Hot Pot broth hit' counter on
                                    the location hit.(Dwarf ships do need to be damaged before this soup
                                    can scald crew).
                                    Once hit the splattered vessel now emanates a lovely smell that is
                                    attractive to all sea monsters and dark elf monster pulled vessels!
                                    This smell remains unless cleaned off by crew.
                                    Once a ship is hit, crew can be allocated to cleaning the decks – for
                                    every crew thus engaged a +1 is added to the die roll in the end phase
                                    to dissipate the smell (crew thus engaged may not take part in
                                    boarding actions or any other crew related activity). Place crew
                                    counters on the broth hit counter. Crew can only ever be assigned to
                                    one location.

                                    End phase Smell clearance roll:
                                    • 1-5 smell continues
                                    • 6 – smell stops

                                    The hot pot broth must be cooked and `loaded' into the pot. This takes
                                    time and follows this sequence:
                                    Cog enters play with a `Broth ready' counter – it is ready to fire in
                                    its turn but it also emanates the lovely smell.
                                    This counter remains until the hot pot fires. Remove the counter on
                                    firing.
                                    On the following turn the Cog may begin to cook up the broth again –
                                    place a `Cooking' counter beside the Cog – it now begins to emanate
                                    the smell once more, but cannot fire.
                                    On the following turn on activation change the counter to `Broth
                                    ready' – the cog may fire straight away after moving, or may keep the
                                    hot pot loaded (and smelling!)

                                    • Turn n –Cog fires. Remove counter. Smell stops emanating from cog.
                                    • Turn n+1 – On cog's move cog begins cooking and smelling. Place
                                    cooking counter.
                                    • Turn n+2 – Cog begins move. Replace counter with `Broth ready'
                                    counter. Cog smells until it fires again in this or subsequent move.

                                    The great smell of the cooking sometimes has the adverse affect of
                                    causing monsters to be drawn to the vessel ignoring the orders of
                                    their summoner / commander.

                                    Before any monster or dark elf monster vessel moves, check to see if
                                    it is attracted by the hot pot smell. Any vessel which still smells,
                                    and the hot pot cog if still cooking places the smell template down
                                    wind of itself.

                                    If the beast or dark elf monster is within this area when activated
                                    they must make a standard save / below waterline save (with a +1
                                    modifier for all dark elf monsters) or be attracted to the smell of
                                    the Hot pot and move towards the source of the smell by the shortest
                                    route. If they reach the source it then attacks the location where the
                                    hot pot is on the Halfling cog or on the location hit by the hot pot
                                    catapult.
                                    When that location is destroyed (damaged) the smell dissipates and the
                                    monster is no longer affected. Its hunger sated

                                    Normal attack procedures apply as do saves. Monsters that are part of
                                    a squadron that are affected will become independent as long as the
                                    effect lasts and then become "stragglers" until reunited with the
                                    squadron.

                                    If the crew of a dark elf monster vessel are killed by the hot pot
                                    attack, then the vessel submerges and is lost. If the dark elf monster
                                    is hit and emanates the smell, it will stay on the same spot as it
                                    attempts to lick the broth of itself. In the end phase roll on the
                                    smell clearance table and add +1 for each wound the monster has to
                                    see if the smell dissipates. Crew may still fire reapers as per normal
                                    if so equipped.

                                    If a monster is hit by the hot pot, it suffers a single wound on a
                                    failed save due to scalding damage (don't roll for crew loss as there
                                    are none) and will spend the turn in the same location as it attempts

                                    <rasmuslundegaard@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi
                                    >
                                    > Question:
                                    > What happens if the hot pot hits a monster? Does it get scalding
                                    > damage? Does it attack itself in a frenzy? Does it dive to avoid the
                                    > pain? Does it start running as fast as possible away from other
                                    > monsters? Does it just ignore it?
                                    >
                                    > I agree with Holger, that the Hot pot needs to keep the scalding
                                    > effect against other ships. Even though I don't like to have weapons
                                    > target crew. It makes the small ships very easy to decrew!
                                    > (One hit from a hot pot gives a 1/3 chance of the ship being
                                    > abandoned, and thus out of the fighting. That is A LOT better than
                                    > hitting your enemy with 1 cannon).
                                    > Maybe the scalding don't kill. Roll a dice for every crew; on a 4+ it
                                    > saves (avoids the scalding) on a 1, 2 or 3 it is hit by the hot soup.
                                    > Crew that are hit does not give +1 in boarding actions this turn,
                                    > although they may die in the normal way.
                                    >
                                    > This would change the tactical use of the hot pot. It cannot sink
                                    > anything, but it is a great tactical weapon to either mess up the
                                    > formations of fleets with lots of monsters, be it DE (at +1 as
                                    > suggested by Bill), summoned or flyers. OR it can e used at any other
                                    > race, to soften up big ships by potentially halving their close combat
                                    > modifier.
                                    >
                                    > These are just ideas! Take what can be used, ignore the rest.
                                    >
                                    > Regards
                                    > Rasmus

                                  • zak_ukm
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 9, 2008
                                      updated rules, template and smell template in the empire fleet folder...

                                    • Bill Greenwald
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 9, 2008
                                        Zak
                                        This is great progress. I will carefully proof read the rules text
                                        and correct any typos I find and send you the new file or post it
                                        "corrected" for your review.

                                        I would like to see the Treeman special crew added for some additional
                                        fun. I posted the details in my last reply. See below in case you
                                        missed it.

                                        Special crew; Treeman @ 50 points

                                        It can fight in boarding actions at +2.
                                        It can be used as an anti-flyer weapon by throwing rocks.
                                        It can double as a makeshift mast if immobile.
                                        It can grapple other ships and hold them fast.

                                        All four uses at double the special crew price.

                                        I really love the monsters hit licking themselves part. This will be
                                        funny to see. We need a "Licking" counter, huh?