Nurgle

  • Sam Dale
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9, 2008
      Current project, ship number 1:

      http://photos.fiendil.co.uk/3600_mow_nurgle_deathgalley.jpg

      Rest of the fleet on the workbench:

      http://photos.fiendil.co.uk/3596_mow_nurgle_fleet.jpg

      Banetower replacement so far. This thing needs rigging to hold the balloons to
      the hull, the keel filling out to make it complete, and trailing slime
      and ganglia. I've also used magnets to hold the keel to the flight
      base, so I can swap between land and sea bases and use the thing in
      Epic as well.

      http://photos.fiendil.co.uk/3599_mow_nurgle_plaguetower.jpg

    • zak_ukm
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10, 2008
        Very nice!
        With the balloon, can you not use some wire for the rigging and that
        way get rid of the flying stand - ie the wire should be strong enough
        to also support the balls....?

        Zak

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 10, 2008
          Very nice on the Nurgle Bane Tower replacement.

          Now I have another itch;-)

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • manowarplayer
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 10, 2008
            That's a great job in the Nurgle Deathgalley Sam. The bow looks
            really interesting, it's hard to see what it is exactly from that
            angle, but if definately has a "nurgly" look to it.

            The fleet is looking good too. I can't wait to see the Nurgle
            banetower finished - it's going to look great once it finished. I
            have a thought for the "balloons" since you are going to add all the
            slime and entrails to the ship hull already - make them look like
            huge, bloated, gas-filled of intestinal flesh of some kind (like
            somone cut open some monstrous creature and ripped out some organ
            tissue and sewed it up to make an air-tight chamber).

            The rigging can have the same look to it...use the basic wire (bend
            it to look more organic like) and then add "ropey" hot glue strands
            laced up the wire and over the balloons to give it a "tendril of
            fleshy tissue" feel. Paint it all up in gross blood and guts colors
            and it would really have a nurgly look!

            Scott

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 11, 2008
              > Posted by: "Ian Darley" ikdarley@... ikdarley
              > Very nice on the Nurgle Bane Tower replacement.

              Thank you.

              > Now I have another itch;-)

              From the unleashed plagues, or from the idea? *grin*

              (I had a bit of a rummage round the Warmachine range for the first time yesterday. I've got the itch to buy yet another army...)

              hthttp://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_packup_042008
            • Sam Dale
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 11, 2008
                > Posted by: "manowarplayer" no_reply@yahoogroups.com manowarplayer
                > That's a great job in the Nurgle Deathgalley Sam.

                Thank you.

                > The bow looks
                > really interesting, it's hard to see what it is exactly from that
                > angle, but if definately has a "nurgly" look to it.

                Yeah. I need a diagonal view as well.

                The figurehead is a Nurgling head. Someone here suggested using the Nurgling with the fly head as a donor for figurehead on the Tower, and since there's only ever one in each packet, he went on the Tower. I was considering the long, drawn out process of trading for more, but thought I'd try out using the other Nurglings for other figureheads. Seems to have worked quite well.

                The ram is something I did many years ago to the squadron. It's a crude, smooth, Milliput proboscis. I think it just about works as-is, once the new figurehead and the cannons are there. A more sophisticated version would replicate the fly proboscis or the rams on the Crushers.

                > The fleet is looking good too. I can't wait to see the Nurgle
                > banetower finished - it's going to look great once it finished. I
                > have a thought for the "balloons" since you are going to add all the
                > slime and entrails to the ship hull already - make them look like
                > huge, bloated, gas-filled of intestinal flesh of some kind (like
                > somone cut open some monstrous creature and ripped out some organ
                > tissue and sewed it up to make an air-tight chamber).

                Eyeballs. Huge, massive, inflated eyeballs.

                Trailing nerves and muscles and other grimness.

                > The rigging can have the same look to it...use the basic wire (bend
                > it to look more organic like) and then add "ropey" hot glue strands
                > laced up the wire and over the balloons to give it a "tendril of
                > fleshy tissue" feel. Paint it all up in gross blood and guts colors
                > and it would really have a nurgly look!

                Good one. I was getting a bit worried about using twisted fuse wire for the rigging, as I can see paint not holding well. A "wash" of watered down pva gives a surface, and more of the stuff gives slime.

                I'm holding back on too much brightness, gore and guts, and going for a more subtle look, I think. Should give it more impact. The bulk of the fleet will be in lots of corroded metal, brown woodwork, and bone colours. I'm saving the green and grot for the slime trails and sails. And, of course, the Tower...