Re: Skaven ships

  • zak_ukm
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2007
      --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "Holger" <holger.daniels@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "zak_ukm" <zak_ukm@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > I've decided to increase my Skaven fleet and create some new
      figs.
      > > I'm currently working on a warp lightning generator (100 pt
      > > independent) - I'll post some pics / rules once I've got a bit
      further
      > > for discussion / comments.
      > >
      > > Anyone got any other ideas for skaven ships while I'm at it?
      >
      > Yes me.
      >
      > I just uploaded a (still coarse) draft for a new Skaven ship:
      > The One Rat Barrel Sub Carrier
      >
      > Files > Holger's Ships > OneRatBarrelSubCarrier_v01.pdf
      >
      > I am still tweaking at the numbers though, and I am at a loss what
      > kind of forward armament it could have, if at all.
      >
      > Originally I had an idea for Orc submarines while reading articles
      > about the very first submarines in real history, but with the Orcs
      > already having drillakillas I re-thought it in Skaven terms.
      > The template is in the works; however, I would like to hear some
      > feedback first.
      >
      > Holger

      Hi Holger,

      like the idea!
      It sounds a bit pricey considering the lack of damage it can cause
      though.

      Some initial thoughts - no limit on ammo, as it only moves an
      average of 2-3 inches and so unless the ship is right next to the
      carrier its very unlikely to ever hit home.

      As to fire arc - how about 2 barrels fromeach side (if you are
      basing the model onthe bell, then a crane at each corner with piles
      of barrels on each side and dropping them in over each side)?

      If you roll a one of 'firing', followed by a 1 or a 2 does the
      skaven ship get a save for the below hits?

      Barrel sub move - I'd be more inclined to go with d6-2, d6-3, d6-4
      for the moves - this give a max range of 9" and an average of 3-4".

      When do the barrels move? Do they move as if in a squadron with the
      carrier - ie when you move the carrier in subsequent rounds you also
      move an surviving barrels?

      With the above changes, the template possibly needs altering for
      both location 4
      High - first hit - can only release one barrel per side per turn.
      second hit - no more barrels can be released.

      Low - first hit, can only fire on one side in a turn (but can
      alternate if wished).
      second hit - no firing, all barrels destroyed.

      That looks like alot of criticism, but its not meant to be as I
      really like the idea!

      I'm looking to knock up some different hulls for skaven based onthe
      bell raft - some long (for the dunglobber), some powered (say for
      this ship), some unpowered for 'convoy'.
      I'm then hoping to cast them so that this sort of ship can then be
      made much more easily.
      I'll let you know how I get on, but as I've been diverted into
      making a nurgle rotters bloodbowl team from the new empire regiment
      and a box of zombies and alot of greenstuff, it may be a while
      before I get round to this....

      Cheers
      Zak
    • Holger
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11, 2007
        --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "zak_ukm" <zak_ukm@...> wrote:

        > --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "Holger" <holger.daniels@>
        > wrote:
        (...)
        > > I just uploaded a (still coarse) draft for a new Skaven ship:
        > > The One Rat Barrel Sub Carrier
        > >
        > > Files > Holger's Ships > OneRatBarrelSubCarrier_v01.pdf
        > >
        > > I am still tweaking at the numbers though, and I am at a loss what
        > > kind of forward armament it could have, if at all.
        >
        > Hi Holger,
        >
        > like the idea!
        > It sounds a bit pricey considering the lack of damage it can cause
        > though.

        Originally I was designing it along the lines of "should not be better
        than 2 Nautili" (2x75), and a number of admirals and I experienced the
        Nautilus is rather weak (however might also be the psychological
        effect, that admirals often try to disable them asap for fear of their
        torpedoes :) ).

        > As to fire arc - how about 2 barrels fromeach side (if you are
        > basing the model onthe bell, then a crane at each corner with piles
        > of barrels on each side and dropping them in over each side)?
        That is an excellent idea, saves the pain of inventing another front
        armament.

        > If you roll a one of 'firing', followed by a 1 or a 2 does the
        > skaven ship get a save for the below hits?
        Yes, forgot, now changed that.

        > Barrel sub move - I'd be more inclined to go with d6-2, d6-3, d6-4
        > for the moves - this give a max range of 9" and an average of 3-4".
        Implemented.

        > When do the barrels move? Do they move as if in a squadron with the
        > carrier - ie when you move the carrier in subsequent rounds you also
        > move an surviving barrels?
        Right now in the magic phase, like the iceberg(s), remaining torpedoes
        and Bloat victims.

        > Some initial thoughts - no limit on ammo, as it only moves an
        > average of 2-3 inches and so unless the ship is right next to the
        > carrier its very unlikely to ever hit home.
        >
        > With the above changes, the template possibly needs altering for
        > both location 4
        > High - first hit - can only release one barrel per side per turn.
        > second hit - no more barrels can be released.
        >
        > Low - first hit, can only fire on one side in a turn (but can
        > alternate if wished).
        > second hit - no firing, all barrels destroyed.
        What do you think what max. amount of barrels could be "fired" in one
        round?
        If it would be more than 2, the table would be even more
        swamped with models, Skaven are already a hassle concerning
        book-keeping (even with a dry-erase-short-book-keeping sheet).

        > That looks like alot of criticism, but its not meant to be as I
        > really like the idea!
        I absolutely appreciate this friendly criticism, I wanted to have some
        input on it, as I myself had been not that happy with it.
        Number of battle honours? Right now at 6 (as almost all Men o'war),
        but I think maybe 5 or maybe even 4 would be more appropiate, it is a
        lot less powerful than the Doombell.

        > I'm looking to knock up some different hulls for skaven based onthe
        > bell raft - some long (for the dunglobber), some powered (say for
        > this ship), some unpowered for 'convoy'.
        > I'm then hoping to cast them so that this sort of ship can then be
        > made much more easily.
        > I'll let you know how I get on, but as I've been diverted into
        > making a nurgle rotters bloodbowl team from the new empire regiment
        > and a box of zombies and alot of greenstuff, it may be a while
        > before I get round to this....
        Sounds fun, but count me in for some hulls, when they are ready
        (unless I have not knocked up some myself, however with my number of
        unfinished projects not that likely :) ).

        Holger
      • zak_ukm
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 15, 2007
          --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "Holger" <holger.daniels@...> wrote:

          > --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "zak_ukm" <zak_ukm@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "Holger" <holger.daniels@>
          > > wrote:
          > (...)
          > > > I just uploaded a (still coarse) draft for a new Skaven ship:
          > > > The One Rat Barrel Sub Carrier
          > > >
          > > > Files > Holger's Ships > OneRatBarrelSubCarrier_v01.pdf
          > Holger,

          I've done a quick sketch of what I was thinking about -
          Have a look in the skaven fleets photos section:

          Zak