Just ideas with no real purpose.

  • dennis_foos
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4, 2006
      If I were to invent or re-invent MOW, I would shrink the templates
      down to card size and either laminate them or supply card sleeves.
      Then you could mark damage, crew, etc with a dry erase pen. That would
      save space and not require one tenth the amount of markers. It worked
      well for Battletech for all those years. I would rather use cards than
      some sort of "clicky" bases. I hate those things, I think they take
      away from the asthetics of painted figures. It's like taking a nicely
      painted figure and mounting it on a dog turd. Oh, I have found how to
      get more life out of mast sprues. Most ships dont require the entire
      length of the mast. Once it's cut, what's left may be long enough for
      another ship but there is no crows nest. I looked through my bits box
      and found several things that will work. The end of the Dark Elf
      trumpeter's horn, clipped off and trimmed works nicely glued to the
      top of the mast. you can't tell the difference when painted. Also I
      found the business end of several hammers from Empire troops are the
      right size and shape. I have lots extra and should be able to use lots
      of my left over mast lengths. For the penant pole on top, I have a
      bunch of little penant poles from the old epic game (square base set)
      They are a little thinner but work well.
      Look in your bits box and with a little immagination I'm sure you can
      come up with some cool ideas.
    • maureenrw
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2006
        --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "dennis_foos" <dfoos@...> wrote:

        > If I were to invent or re-invent MOW, I would shrink the templates
        > down to card size and either laminate them or supply card sleeves.
        > Then you could mark damage, crew, etc with a dry erase pen.

        I did that right away when the game first came out. I didn't do
        cards, but a full sheet of paper that included diagrams of several
        ship types to show the hit locations, and then columns to mark the
        damage for for several ships or squadrons of each type. Also squeezed
        in notes on movement and any special rules. Slid the whole thing into
        sheet protectors and use dry erase markers. Whole fleets fit on a
        single sheet, except the dwarf fleet takes two.

        Unfortunately I can't open those files any more to share them. I did
        them up in an ancient version of Quark which deliberately
        self-destructed after 10 years so I can't use the program or pen the
        files any more. The rat bastards. I have my original print outs all
        in a 3 ring binder and they're still working great.

        Cheers,
        Maureen
      • Dave Latz
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2006
          I have a number of different versions of Quark XPress available. If
          you want to forward the files to me I can see if I can open them and,
          if I can get them open, I'll save them as pdf's and post them to the
          files section.

          Dave

          >--- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "dennis_foos" <dfoos@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> If I were to invent or re-invent MOW, I would shrink the templates
          >> down to card size and either laminate them or supply card sleeves.
          >> Then you could mark damage, crew, etc with a dry erase pen.
          >
          >I did that right away when the game first came out. I didn't do
          >cards, but a full sheet of paper that included diagrams of several
          >ship types to show the hit locations, and then columns to mark the
          >damage for for several ships or squadrons of each type. Also squeezed
          >in notes on movement and any special rules. Slid the whole thing into
          >sheet protectors and use dry erase markers. Whole fleets fit on a
          >single sheet, except the dwarf fleet takes two.
          >
          >Unfortunately I can't open those files any more to share them. I did
          >them up in an ancient version of Quark which deliberately
          >self-destructed after 10 years so I can't use the program or pen the
          >files any more. The rat bastards. I have my original print outs all
          >in a 3 ring binder and they're still working great.
          >
          >Cheers,
          >Maureen

        • Holger
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 8, 2006
            Hi all!
            "dennis_foos" wrote:

            > If I were to invent or re-invent MOW, I would shrink the templates
            > down to card size and either laminate them or supply card sleeves.
            > Then you could mark damage, crew, etc with a dry erase pen.

            I just uploaded versions for Skavens I did a while ago:
            files>smaller templates>SkavenSheet_Deathburner.pdf
            resp. SkavenSheet_WarpRaider.pdf

            I arranged a smaller version of the original template in the upper left,
            for reference purposes, all the squads are then just listed with places
            left free for
            a squadron designator/name (how to recognize which the resp. squad).
            Damaged sections can be crossed out in the boxes, waterline hits in the
            WL boxes, remaining " move can be written in, respectively
            moves/fires/burners can be crossed out once no longer functional/applicable.

            I have similar onces for the Dark Elves (there I also corrected the
            wrong "no effect" in the waterline boxes of the BlackArk to the right,
            but normally missing "-1 move"!), however, as the file space of the
            group once again is almost gone, I will upload these only if there is
            interest.

            Holger