Re: Re: Scratch built ships and monsters

  • Holger Daniels
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
      Hello all!

      >Arnopov wrote:
      > I recently rediscovered Man'O war, and tried to apply push molding
      >techniques for some ships, especially undead, to speed up things. The
      >big advantage of push molding, from a hobbyist point of view is the
      >low cost involved to start, 6 quids for some sculpey moldmaking and a
      >bit of fimo/sculpey.
      >
      >(...)
      >
      > Anyway what a wafle ...
      > Bottom line is that polymeric clay is real good for making half
      >decent ships at low cost. And it cost almost nothing to try and
      >experiment (as opposed to resin/white metal casting).

      For casts I am using right a product called Woodstone:
      Producer is creartec trend-design-gmbh Weiler/Allgäu Germany, but
      seemingly they only sell it over retailers.
      One has to use 1 part acrylic resin-fluid and 2 parts mineral powder.
      It is a really nice alternative to tin or others resins: it is
      absolutely poison-free, odourless, not hot (in my old flat I burned a
      hole into the floor with tin), and has a convient potlife of 10mins.
      Expansion 0.1%, really fine details are kept. Hardening time is
      50-90mins, but normally I leave it overnight.
      Afterwards one has something resambling wood (1650kg/m3), easy to modify.
      I have really good results with that one.

      Fimo is on the list of things I have to try, as it is a lot cheaper and
      less poisonous than e.g. green stuff.

      Btw, at long last I got around to finish painting the first squad of my
      scratch build Orc Drillakillas.
      Albums > Fleets > Orks and Gob... > Holgers Scratch Drillakillaz

      Holger