RE: [The Sea Of Claws] Re: System 17 Site

  • Tony Mansfield
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
      One of the issues you face with trying to download images from the web
      is that the image you receive is generally in jpg or jpeg format. This
      is a common format for web based pics as it is a relatively small file
      compared to other options.

      The problem is that you get a loss of sharpness with the small size of
      the file and it is extremely difficult to print a really sharp picture
      unless you have access to both some good imaging software and a quality
      printer.

      To get better quality images you really need files in tif or tiff format
      but thee are much larger and, frankly, most websites can't spare or
      afford both the storage capacity and the bandwidth you need to manage
      files of this size.

      For example, a full colour page in White Dwarf, at 150 res, maximum
      colour range in tiff format runs at least 6MB. The same page in jpg
      format, same res, 256 colour range would run at less then 300 kb. Big
      difference.

      If your email server can handle larger files (say in excess of 3MB),
      come back to me off forum and I'll email you a high res scan in tif
      format.

      Regards

      Tony