Rules and Play Questions....

  • morval666
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2004
      My group finally played our first game a few weeks ago and we had a
      few questions.

      Models
      When using a base with a model
      - do you simply measure to the front/side of the base or the model
      when moving, calculating range, etc.?

      - do you put the turning template along the side of the base or the
      side of the actual ship? If the ship has oars where do you put the
      template?

      - When boarding do you simply have to touch bases. Its kinda hard
      for two ships with bases to actually touch each other since the base
      blocks them

      When using a model without a base
      - when a model has oars, a wooden figure head jutting out its front,
      or a ram…do you measure to these items or past these items to the
      actual ship when moving or calculating range, etc.?
      - If the ship has oars where do you put the template?

      Ships with oars
      - when they turn on the spot does this mean they pivot around the
      centre of the ship?

      Magic Cards
      Blood Silver: Your Fleet. This spell deflects any spell cast on
      your fleet this turn. The spell affects the enemy ship carrying the
      wizard instead.
      - once you successfully cast this spell why would the opposing
      wizard cast a spell? He knows any spell he casts would come back to
      him! I guess you could cast it after your opponent's wizard
      successfully casts a spell on you and your dispel doesn't work?

      Fog of Limbo: Any ship. The fog gives +2 to all saving throws
      against any form of attack made against the target ship. The fog
      also prevents any spellcasting from the target ship.
      - from the fluff description it sounds like this spell is meant to
      go on your enemy's wizard's ship. He won't be able to cast for this
      turn, but that ship also gets to make its saves much easier! So you
      use a magic card to stop him from casting this turn, but make his
      ship harder to destroy. Doesn't sound like that great a card.
      - I think it actually is better to play on your own wizard since
      once he has cast it he has cast all the spells he can for that turn
      anyways. It effectively gives you a +2 to your saves.
      - But I don't think that was what this card was meant for?!

      Morval
    • belindainoz2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2004
        --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "morval666" <morval@p...> wrote:
        > My group finally played our first game a few weeks ago and we had a
        > few questions.

        Hope you enjoyed it!

        > Models
        > When using a base with a model
        > - do you simply measure to the front/side of the base or the model
        > when moving, calculating range, etc.?

        Edge of model

        > - do you put the turning template along the side of the base or the
        > side of the actual ship? If the ship has oars where do you put the
        > template?

        side of miniature - unless your ships have bases (most dont)

        > - When boarding do you simply have to touch bases. Its kinda hard
        > for two ships with bases to actually touch each other since the
        base
        > blocks them

        Again there are no real bases, but if you are consistent and refer
        everything from the base then there should be no problem.

        > When using a model without a base
        > - when a model has oars, a wooden figure head jutting out its
        front,
        > or a ram…do you measure to these items or past these items to the
        > actual ship when moving or calculating range, etc.?
        > - If the ship has oars where do you put the template?

        see above

        > Ships with oars
        > - when they turn on the spot does this mean they pivot around the
        > centre of the ship?

        yes

        > Magic Cards
        > Blood Silver: Your Fleet. This spell deflects any spell cast on
        > your fleet this turn. The spell affects the enemy ship carrying
        the
        > wizard instead.
        > - once you successfully cast this spell why would the opposing
        > wizard cast a spell? He knows any spell he casts would come back
        > him! I guess you could cast it after your opponent's wizard
        > successfully casts a spell on you and your dispel doesn't work?

        Not all spells are offensive, some are not cast AT the opponent but
        the who sea scape, etc.

        > Fog of Limbo: Any ship. The fog gives +2 to all saving throws
        > against any form of attack made against the target ship. The fog
        > also prevents any spellcasting from the target ship.
        > - from the fluff description it sounds like this spell is meant to
        > go on your enemy's wizard's ship. He won't be able to cast for
        this
        > turn, but that ship also gets to make its saves much easier! So
        you
        > use a magic card to stop him from casting this turn, but make his
        > ship harder to destroy. Doesn't sound like that great a card.
        > - I think it actually is better to play on your own wizard since
        > once he has cast it he has cast all the spells he can for that turn
        > anyways. It effectively gives you a +2 to your saves.
        > - But I don't think that was what this card was meant for?!

        The beauty of MOW spells is that many of them can be used a variety
        of ways.

        Belinda