Re: [The Sea Of Claws] [Scenario] Harbour Attack

  • Marell Le Fou
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 16, 2013
      I have posted the battle report, but only in french on my blog : http://manowarfr.blog.fr/

      I have still not finished to translate the undead vs empire last battle report... I will try to translate this one soon.

      As always, any help is appreciated.

      Marell

      ________________________________
      De : Marell Le Fou <marell_le_fou@...>
      À : "theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com" <theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com>
      Envoyé le : Samedi 22 décembre 2012 9h36
      Objet : Re: [The Sea Of Claws] [Scenario] Harbour Attack

      I wanted to have an idea of how would began the game, during the first two turns.

      So i estimated the 1600 points fleet we could expect for he chaos dwarves. It's a basical fleet but more or less probable. Here it is :

      150 Admiral Thunderfire
      100 Castle
      150 Chaos sorcerer
      150 Thunderfire
      150 Great Leveller
      150 Great Leveller
      150 Hull-Destroyer
      150 Hull-Destroyer
      150 Thunder-Roller
      150 Thunder-Roller
      150 War-Pédalo (ship we made rules for last year, with only 1 crew)

      General situation :
      - We have 18 ships in total corresponding to 27 ship crew points (castle crew will probably not move during the game so i do not care of them).
      - At the beginning of the game, castle host 75% of them, so 20 crew points, 7 on docks and tehre is nobody on board of the ships.
      - We had proposed
      that the defensor can move any number of crews from docks to castle.
      - Crews are loaded at the beginning of each ship phase.
      - We assume here the defensor activate first the castle, then the doscks, during the first two turns (what he should do if he has a normal brain).
      - Attacking ships should be, with normal move, able to make their first shot at turn 2. Means maybe not all ships will be able to fire, but at least the first ones. So turn 3 every attacking ship should fire again. Turn 4, first boarding (including eventually attack on docks).

      I have modelled four case :
      - A model with crew filling little ships first and docks can host an amount of crew able
      to fill 83% of the total number of ships.
      - A model with crew filling little ships first and docks can host an amount of crew able to fill 67% of the total number of ships.
      - A model with crew filling great ships first and docks can host an amount of crew able to fill 83% of the total number of ships.
      - A model with crew filling great ships first and docks can host an amount of crew able to fill 67% of the total number of ships.

      (i wanted approx 80% and 66% but i could not obtain a round number).

      CASE 1 : Little ships are loaded first, and docks can host 83% of the total number of ships = 15 crew points per turn.

      Number of crews at turn one - turn two - turns 3 - etc / estimated turn of first departure try :
      Admiral Thunderfire 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 / 5
      Thunderfire 0 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 / 6
      Great Leveller 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 / 5
      Great Leveller 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 / 5
      Hull-Destroyer 1- 2 / 2
      Hull-Destroyer 1- 2 / 2
      Hull-Destroye 1- 2 / 2
      Hull-Destroyer 1- 2 / 2
      Hull-Destroyer 1- 2 / 2
      Hull-Destroyer 1- 2 / 2
      Thunder-Roller 1- 2 / 2
      Thunder-Roller 1- 2 / 2
      Thunder-Roller 1- 2 / 2
      Thunder-Roller 1- 2 / 2
      Thunder-Roller 1- 2 / 2
      Thunder-Roller 1- 2 / 2
      War-Pédalo 1/ 1
      War-Pédalo 1/ 1
      War-Pédalo 1/ 1

      We see at turn 2, every little ship has its crew at max, and can try to leave. With a 3+ test to leave the dock the same turn, we can estimate 9/12 will leave the docks and be fully operational at turn 2. Big ship should leave either at turn 4 with 3 crews or turn 5 with complete crew.

      CASE 2 : Little ships are loaded first, and docks can host 67% of the total number of ships = 12 crew points per turn.

      Number of crews at turn one - turn two - turns 3 - etc / estimated turn of first departure try :
      Admiral Thunderfire 0 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 / 6
      Thunderfire 0 - 0 - 1- 2 - 3 - 4 / 6
      Great Leveller 0 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 / 6
      Great Leveller 0 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 / 6
      Hull-Destroyer 0- 1 - 2 / 3
      Hull-Destroyer 0- 1 - 2/ 3
      Hull-Destroye 0- 1 - 2/ 3
      Hull-Destroyer 1- 2 / 2
      Hull-Destroyer 1- 2 / 2
      Hull-Destroyer 1- 2 / 2
      Thunder-Roller 1- 2 / 2
      Thunder-Roller 1- 2 / 2
      Thunder-Roller 1- 2 / 2
      Thunder-Roller 1- 2 / 2
      Thunder-Roller 1- 2 / 2
      Thunder-Roller 1- 2 / 2
      War-Pédalo 1/ 1
      War-Pédalo 1/ 1
      War-Pédalo 1/ 1
      We see at turn 2, the two third of the little ship have their crew at max, and can try to
      leave. With a 3+ test to leave the dock the same turn, we can estimate 6/9 will leave the docks and be fully operational at turn 2. Big ship should leave either at turn 5 with 3 crews or turn 6 with complete crew.

      CASE 3 : Big ships are loaded first, and docks can host 83% of the total number of ships = 15 crew points per turn.

      Number of crews at turn one - turn two - turns 3 - etc / estimated turn of first departure try :
      Admiral Thunderfire 1 - 2 - 3- 4 / 4
      Thunderfire 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 / 4
      Great Leveller 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 / 4
      Great Leveller 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 / 4
      Hull-Destroyer 1- 2 / 2
      Hull-Destroyer 1- 2 / 2
      Hull-Destroye 1- 2 / 2
      Hull-Destroyer 1- 2 / 2
      Hull-Destroyer 1- 2 / 2
      Hull-Destroyer 0- 1 - 2 / 3
      Thunder-Roller 1- 2 / 2
      Thunder-Roller 1- 2 / 2
      Thunder-Roller 1- 2 / 2
      Thunder-Roller 0- 1 - 2 / 3
      Thunder-Roller 0- 1 - 2 / 3
      Thunder-Roller 0- 0 - 2 / 3
      War-Pédalo 1/ 1
      War-Pédalo 1/ 1
      War-Pédalo 1/ 1

      This repartition seem a good medium way, as little ships go at first turn (war pedalo), second turn (2 complete units and eventually a third with a straggler ship), and big at third (with partial crew) or fourth. It should be a good idea to attempt to leave the dock at turn 3 for big ships. Either they are able to do this and they sail with a partial crew, or they wait the next turn but leave with a complete one.

      Note it's not sure to send ships one or two units per one or two units is a good idea. It may be more interesting to wait one more turn and send the whole ships altogether.

      CASE 4 : Big ships are loaded first, and docks can host 67% of the total number of ships = 12 crew points per turn.

      Number of crews at turn one - turn two - turns 3 - etc / estimated turn of first departure try :
      Admiral Thunderfire 1 - 2 - 3- 4 / 4
      Thunderfire 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 / 4
      Great Leveller 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 / 4
      Great Leveller 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 / 4
      Hull-Destroyer 1- 2 / 2
      Hull-Destroyer 1- 2 / 2
      Hull-Destroye 1- 2 / 2
      Hull-Destroyer 0- 1 - 2 / 3
      Hull-Destroyer 0- 1 - 2 / 3
      Hull-Destroyer 0- 0 - 1 - 2 / 4
      Thunder-Roller 1- 2 / 2
      Thunder-Roller 1- 2 / 2
      Thunder-Roller 0- 1 - 2 / 3
      Thunder-Roller 0- 0 - 1 - 2 / 3
      Thunder-Roller 0- 0 - 1 - 2 / 3
      Thunder-Roller 0- 0 - 0 - 2 / 3
      War-Pédalo 1/ 1
      War-Pédalo 1/ 1
      War-Pédalo 1/ 1

      Ships go at turn 3 and 4 mainly. Fleet is more concentrated but leave docks after 2 turns under ennemy shot.

      ***

      My conclusions :

      I think for a scenario where the defensive floot have one third more points, the most interesting way is to give the docks a crew capacity equal to approx 66% of the number of ships. The 85% seem to important to me. Fleet would be almost ready to fight just when the attacking ships arrive. It's too early. I want some ships to be canoned when docked.

      Marll

      ________________________________
      De : wyld.hunt <wyld.hunt@...>
      À : theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com
      Envoyé le : Vendredi 21 décembre 2012 13h04

      This all sounds great, Marell and Holger - can't wait to read how it plays out!

      Wyldhunt

    • manowarplayer
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 20, 2013
        Hi Marell,

        I just went and looked at the pictures of the Battle Report - I really like them!

        I think the Chaos Dwarf Ziggurat in the harbor is really cool looking - what is it made out of? Was it able to shoot at enemy ships if needed?

        Where did you get the nice resin Dock pieces too? I think that they are very good looking and they make a great looking harbor for the Chaos Dwarf fleet.

        Keep up the great work and I look forward to the translation too!

        Scott

        --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, Marell Le Fou wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Ships go at turn 3 and 4 mainly. Fleet is more concentrated but leave docks after 2 turns under ennemy shot.
        >
        > ***
        >
        > My conclusions :
        >
        > I think for a scenario where the defensive floot have one third more points, the most interesting way is to give the docks a crew capacity equal to approx 66% of the number of ships. The 85% seem to important to me. Fleet would be almost ready to fight just when the attacking ships arrive. It's too early. I want some ships to be canoned when docked.
        >
        > Marll
        >
        > ________________________________
        > De : wyld.hunt
        > À : theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com
        > Envoyé le : Vendredi 21 décembre 2012 13h04
        > Objet : Re: [The Sea Of Claws] [Scenario] Harbour Attack
        >

        > This all sounds great, Marell and Holger - can't wait to read how it plays out!

      • Marell Le Fou
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 20, 2013
          Happy you like it. Your battle report clearly inspired me and liked the idea of a terrestrial attack. Without any trerrestrial effect, for now, except the fortress, but we could add canons from ground, etc.

          The giant volcano is still in construction an for for being completed, but i wanted the Chaos Dwarves to be the defenders, so i used it is this state. The complete building of it and the ziggurt you can see here (in french) :

          http://www.warhammer-forum.com/index.php?showtopic=171322&view=findpost&p=1956804&hl=volcan&fromsearch=1

          The Ziggurat itself was without weapon for this game. Only the tower was considered active. Just for a question of distance and range of shooting.

          The port element you can see better here :

          http://manowarfr.blog.fr/2011/03/03/decors-et-bestioles-de-chez-spartan-games-10747264/

          They are from Spartan Games and should still be available i think. They should be great once painted. There are stone docks and wood ones. Those are wooden ones, but i really like the two models.

          If you want me to post this article on the international blog in english, just ask. I will translate it after the Battle Report.

          Marell

          ________________________________
          De : manowarplayer <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
          À : theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com
          Envoyé le : Lundi 21 janvier 2013 11h45
          Objet : [The Sea Of Claws] Re: [Scenario] Harbour Attack

> [...]

          > Ships go at turn 3 and 4 mainly. Fleet is more concentrated but leave docks after 2 turns under ennemy shot.
          >
          > ***
          >
          > My conclusions :
          >
          > I think for a scenario where the defensive floot have one third more points, the most interesting way is to give the docks a crew capacity equal to approx 66% of the number of ships. The 85% seem to important to me. Fleet would be almost ready to fight just when the attacking ships arrive. It's too early. I want some ships to be canoned when docked.
          >
          > Marll
          >
          > ________________________________
          > De : wyld.hunt
          > À : theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com
          > Envoyé le : Vendredi 21 décembre 2012 13h04
          > Objet : Re: [The Sea Of Claws] [Scenario] Harbour Attack
          >

          > This all sounds great, Marell and Holger - can't wait to read how it plays out!

        • Marell Le Fou
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 20, 2013
            By the way, i know there are rules, probably from a White Dwarf, proposing new fortresses, not only the classic castle from the rules. A mighty fortress, and a medium castle. I wanted to use those choices to let my adversary chose his size of castle, but impossible to find again those rules. Someone know if they are available somewhere ?
            Marell

            ________________________________

            De : manowarplayer no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
            À : theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com
> [...]

            > Ships go at turn 3 and 4 mainly. Fleet is more concentrated but leave docks after 2 turns under ennemy shot.
            >
            > ***
            >
            > My conclusions :
            >
            > I think for a scenario where the defensive floot have one third more points, the most interesting way is to give the docks a crew capacity equal to approx 66% of the number of ships. The 85% seem to important to me. Fleet would be almost ready to fight just when the attacking ships arrive. It's too early. I want some ships to be canoned when docked.
            >
            > Marll
            >
            > ________________________________
            > De : wyld.hunt
            > À : theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com
            > Envoyé le : Vendredi 21 décembre 2012 13h04
            > Objet : Re: [The Sea Of Claws] [Scenario] Harbour Attack
            >

            > This all sounds great, Marell and Holger - can't wait to read how it plays out!

          • manowarplayer
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 20, 2013
              I Might have those somewhere... I will look for them and if I have them, I will post them.

            • wyld.hunt
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 21, 2013
                I finally found the Shorefort additions under manowargame -> files -> WD Articles -> Shore Forts.zip. The tag says they're from WD 167.

                It all looks great, Marell!

                Wyldhunt

                --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, manowarplayer wrote:

                > I Might have those somewhere... I will look for them and if I have them, I will post them.
                >
                > Scott

              • Marell Le Fou
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 21, 2013
                  Thanks a lot !