June(/July) Topic?

  • manowarplayer
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3, 2012
      Ahoy There Mateys!

      My apologies for not changing this month's topic yet - I'm on a borrowed computer and short on time! I shall set this right tomorrow so are there any suggestions for a new topic for June/July?

      Things have been slow this year, but we tend to go through phases and I'm sure that we will see more activity again soon - a cool topic for a month or two could be just the catalyst to set things in motion.

      Do people prefer having a topic go for more than one month at a time? Is it time to start up the Fleet discussions again? Any other ideas floating about out there?

      Let me know I will update tomorrow night June 4th - PST time.

      manowarplayer
    • Holger
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 4, 2012
        Hi!

        manowarplayer wrote:

        > (...)I shall set this right tomorrow so are there any suggestions for
        > a new topic for June/July?
        >
        > Things have been slow this year, but we tend to go through phases and
        > I'm sure that we will see more activity again soon - a cool topic for
        > a month or two could be just the catalyst to set things in motion.
        >
        > Do people prefer having a topic go for more than one month at a time?
        > Is it time to start up the Fleet discussions again? Any other ideas
        > floating about out there?
        >
        > Let me know I will update tomorrow night June 4th - PST time.

        I had hoped that the magic theme would maybe initiate some discussions,
        esp. as the different magic systems in Man o War and extensions are not
        in phase with each other / are unbalanced.
        But then I myself neither did get around to write something, as there
        are a lot too many "to-dos" right now on my list.

        As someone asked for Araby, maybe something about the minor fleets?
        We should have a pirate month i september, when it is
        talk-like-a-pirate-day :)
        As other theme maybe scenarios both for 2 players, but even for
        3/4/conventions ?
        I had however an impression that fleet monthes generated most
        discussion, although this impression might be incorrect.

        /Holger

      • manowarplayer
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 4, 2012
          I'm taking Holger's suggestion for a month to focus on special scenarios. I will look through my many convention games and post what I still have records of.

          If you've created a special scenario or campaign for Man O War, please contribute this month!

          Scott

          --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, Holger <holger.daniels@...> wrote:

          > Hi!
          >
          > manowarplayer wrote:
          > >
          > > (...)I shall set this right tomorrow so are there any suggestions for
          > > a new topic for June/July?
          > >
          > > Things have been slow this year, but we tend to go through phases and
          > > I'm sure that we will see more activity again soon - a cool topic for
          > > a month or two could be just the catalyst to set things in motion.
          > >
          > > Do people prefer having a topic go for more than one month at a time?
          > > Is it time to start up the Fleet discussions again? Any other ideas
          > > floating about out there?
          > >
          > > Let me know I will update tomorrow night June 4th - PST time.
          > >
          > I had hoped that the magic theme would maybe initiate some discussions,
          > esp. as the different magic systems in Man o War and extensions are not
          > in phase with each other / are unbalanced.
          > But then I myself neither did get around to write something, as there
          > are a lot too many "to-dos" right now on my list.
          >
          > As someone asked for Araby, maybe something about the minor fleets?
          > We should have a pirate month i september, when it is
          > talk-like-a-pirate-day :)
          > As other theme maybe scenarios both for 2 players, but even for
          > 3/4/conventions ?
          > I had however an impression that fleet monthes generated most
          > discussion, although this impression might be incorrect.
          >
          > /Holger

        • Marell Le Fou
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 4, 2012
            I'm currently quiet busy with a vast project on the french forum to regroup abslutely all the MOW extentions and write a sort of MOW 1.5.
            So i'm not really available to start new discussions, but i will gladly participate to an existing one.
            I just lacks imagination for new subjects, i have the head full of points of rules.
            By the way : We had a big discussion about "one or two dragon blades" on the Dragon Ship, and "When moving back with oars, do you go straight backward or can you use the rotating template ?"
            Marell

            ________________________________
            De : Holger <holger.daniels@...>
            À : theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com
            Envoyé le : Mardi 5 juin 2012 7h49
            Objet : Re: [The Sea Of Claws] June(/July) Topic?

            Hi!

          • holger.daniels@telia.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 5, 2012
              Hi!
              We always allow use of the turning template. Especially with oars there is no hinder to use only oars on one side of the ship - backwards curve motion.
              /holger
              marell wrote:

              By the way : We had a big discussion (..) and "When moving back with oars, do you go straight backward or can you use the rotating template ?"

              .

            • manowarplayer
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 5, 2012
                Marell,

                We've had the same discussion!

                In the "real world", ships with oars moving backwards are still able to turn the rudder and change direction and that's what we decided made the most sense. We also allow Paddle Wheeled ships to do the same.

                It seems like the best solution and was one of those things we felt made the most sense and probably would have been included in the rules had it come up in playtesting.

                If you wanted to limit it in some way, you could always say that the turn has to be at the end of all backward movement (so if you are moving backwards 3" you must first move 1" straight back and then make a full 2" backward turn).

                Paddle wheeled ships would not have to suffer this penalty.

                Scott

                --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "holger.daniels@..." <holger.daniels@...> wrote:

                > Hi!
                > We always allow use of the turning template. Especially with oars there is no hinder to use only oars on one side of the ship - backwards curve motion.
                > /holger
                > marell wrote:
                >

                > By the way : We had a big discussion (..) and "When moving back with oars, do you go straight backward or can you use the rotating template ?"
                >

                > .

              • manowarplayer
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 5, 2012
                  As far as the number of Dragon Blades on the Dragonship, there probable would be two blades (one on the bow of each hull), but there still is only one attack at a time made regardless of how many ships the Dragonship comes in contact with.

                  If it happens to touch two ships at once, you just pick one and resolve the attack. If it sinks that ship, continue with the an attack on the 2nd ship.

                  Scott

                  --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, Marell Le Fou <marell_le_fou@...> wrote:

                  > I'm currently quiet busy with a vast project on the french forum to regroup abslutely all the MOW extentions and write a sort of MOW 1.5.
                  > So i'm not really available to start new discussions, but i will gladly participate to an existing one.
                  > I just lacks imagination for new subjects, i have the head full of points of rules.
                  > By the way : We had a big discussion about "one or two dragon blades" on the Dragon Ship, and "When moving back with oars, do you go straight backward or can you use the rotating template ?"
                  > Marell
                  >

                  > ________________________________
                  > De : Holger <holger.daniels@...>
                  > À : theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com
                  > Envoyé le : Mardi 5 juin 2012 7h49
                  > Objet : Re: [The Sea Of Claws] June(/July) Topic?
                  >

                  > Hi!
                  >
                  > manowarplayer wrote:
                  > >
                  > > (...)I shall set this right tomorrow so are there any suggestions for
                  > > a new topic for June/July?
                  > >
                  > > Things have been slow this year, but we tend to go through phases and
                  > > I'm sure that we will see more activity again soon - a cool topic for
                  > > a month or two could be just the catalyst to set things in motion.
                  > >
                  > > Do people prefer having a topic go for more than one month at a time?
                  > > Is it time to start up the Fleet discussions again? Any other ideas
                  > > floating about out there?
                  > >
                  > > Let me know I will update tomorrow night June 4th - PST time.
                  > >
                  > I had hoped that the magic theme would maybe initiate some discussions,
                  > esp. as the different magic systems in Man o War and extensions are not
                  > in phase with each other / are unbalanced.
                  > But then I myself neither did get around to write something, as there
                  > are a lot too many "to-dos" right now on my list.
                  >
                  > As someone asked for Araby, maybe something about the minor fleets?
                  > We should have a pirate month i september, when it is
                  > talk-like-a-pirate-day :)
                  > As other theme maybe scenarios both for 2 players, but even for
                  > 3/4/conventions ?
                  > I had however an impression that fleet monthes generated most
                  > discussion, although this impression might be incorrect.
                  >
                  > /Holger

                • Holger
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 5, 2012
                    Hi!

                    The Dragonship template states clearly: Second hit destroys BOTH
                    dragonblades (Location 4 low).
                    So the ship has two.
                    As for the location fluff says: "Dragonblades are set in the twin prows
                    of Dragonships" (p48)
                    Logical way to build is one per prow.

                    /Holger

                    Marell asked:
                    >>By the way : We had a big discussion about "one or two dragon blades"
                    on the Dragon Ship,

                    Scott answered:

                    >As far as the number of Dragon Blades on the Dragonship, there
                    probable would be two blades (one on the bow of each hull), but there
                    still is only one attack at a time made >regardless of how many ships
                    the Dragonship comes in contact with.
                    >If it happens to touch two ships at once, you just pick one and
                    resolve the attack. If it sinks that ship, continue with the an attack
                    on the 2nd ship.
                  • Moses Jones
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 5, 2012
                      How about how to create an Ogre Kingdoms Man O war list.

                      On 6/5/12, Holger <holger.daniels@...> wrote:
                      > Hi!
                      >
                      > The Dragonship template states clearly: Second hit destroys BOTH
                      > dragonblades (Location 4 low).
                      > So the ship has two.
                      > As for the location fluff says: "Dragonblades are set in the twin prows
                      > of Dragonships" (p48)
                      > Logical way to build is one per prow.
                      >
                      > /Holger
                      >

                      > Marell asked:
                      > >>By the way : We had a big discussion about "one or two dragon blades"
                      > on the Dragon Ship,
                      >
                      > Scott answered:
                      >
                      > >As far as the number of Dragon Blades on the Dragonship, there
                      > probable would be two blades (one on the bow of each hull), but there
                      > still is only one attack at a time made >regardless of how many ships
                      > the Dragonship comes in contact with.
                      > >If it happens to touch two ships at once, you just pick one and
                      > resolve the attack. If it sinks that ship, continue with the an attack
                      > on the 2nd ship.

                    • Michael Stachnik
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 5, 2012
                        Hi all,
                        I like the idea of scenarios as a topic. I would like to hear about a Storm of Magic type scenario with a monster / magic heavy slant. Just an idea.
                        Michael
                        Bolingbrook Ill.

                        ________________________________
                        I'm taking Holger's suggestion for a month to focus on special scenarios. I will look through my many convention games and post what I still have records of.

                        If you've created a special scenario or campaign for Man O War, please contribute this month!

                        Scott

                        --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, Holger <holger.daniels@...> wrote:

                        > Hi!
                        >
                        > manowarplayer wrote:
                        > >
                        > > (...)I shall set this right tomorrow so are there any suggestions for
                        > > a new topic for June/July?
                        > >
                        > > Things have been slow this year, but we tend to go through phases and
                        > > I'm sure that we will see more activity again soon - a cool topic for
                        > > a month or two could be just the catalyst to set things in motion.
                        > >
                        > > Do people prefer having a topic go for more than one month at a time?
                        > > Is it time to start up the Fleet discussions again? Any other ideas
                        > > floating about out there?
                        > >
                        > > Let me know I will update tomorrow night June 4th - PST time.
                        > >
                        > I had hoped that the magic theme would maybe initiate some discussions,
                        > esp. as the different magic systems in Man o War and extensions are not
                        > in phase with each other / are unbalanced.
                        > But then I myself neither did get around to write something, as there
                        > are a lot too many "to-dos" right now on my list.
                        >
                        > As someone asked for Araby, maybe something about the minor fleets?
                        > We should have a pirate month i september, when it is
                        > talk-like-a-pirate-day :)
                        > As other theme maybe scenarios both for 2 players, but even for
                        > 3/4/conventions ?
                        > I had however an impression that fleet monthes generated most
                        > discussion, although this impression might be incorrect.
                        >
                        > /Holger

                      • Marell Le Fou
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 5, 2012
                          Let's start with a scenario with standard fleets.

                          ________________________________

                          I'm taking Holger's suggestion for a month to focus on special scenarios. I will look through my many convention games and post what I still have records of.

                          If you've created a special scenario or campaign for Man O War, please contribute this month!

                          Scott

                          --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, Holger <holger.daniels@...> wrote:

                          > Hi!
                          >
                          > manowarplayer wrote:
                          > >
                          > > (...)I shall set this right tomorrow so are there any suggestions for
                          > > a new topic for June/July?
                          > >
                          > > Things have been slow this year, but we tend to go through phases and
                          > > I'm sure that we will see more activity again soon - a cool topic for
                          > > a month or two could be just the catalyst to set things in motion.
                          > >
                          > > Do people prefer having a topic go for more than one month at a time?
                          > > Is it time to start up the Fleet discussions again? Any other ideas
                          > > floating about out there?
                          > >
                          > > Let me know I will update tomorrow night June 4th - PST time.
                          > >
                          > I had hoped that the magic theme would maybe initiate some discussions,
                          > esp. as the different magic systems in Man o War and extensions are not
                          > in phase with each other / are unbalanced.
                          > But then I myself neither did get around to write something, as there
                          > are a lot too many "to-dos" right now on my list.
                          >
                          > As someone asked for Araby, maybe something about the minor fleets?
                          > We should have a pirate month i september, when it is
                          > talk-like-a-pirate-day :)
                          > As other theme maybe scenarios both for 2 players, but even for
                          > 3/4/conventions ?
                          > I had however an impression that fleet monthes generated most
                          > discussion, although this impression might be incorrect.
                          >
                          > /Holger

                        • manowarplayer
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 5, 2012
                            Off the top of my head, I've done scenarios for the following:

                            PLAGUE! (A Nurgle invasion of Bretonnian shores)

                            RETRIBUTION ( Payback from the scenario above from the forces of good)

                            FREE FOR ALL (8 players against each other. Simultaneous damage, random turn order)

                            SINK THE COLOSSES! (Find the Orc Colosses and sink it - like the Bismark)

                            THE GATES OF BARAK VARR (A Dark Elf Fleet sneaks upriver to the mighty Dwarf Sea Fortress to try and trap the Dwarf fleet inside)

                            VOLCANO! (Several fleets converge around an active Volcano)

                            The HUNT for RED ORCTOBER (Find the Rogue Orc Sub and sink or capture it!)

                            I've also done three other scenarios that I can't think of the names for:

                            1 about the High Elf Fortress on the Cape of... Absolution (or something like that)

                            Another about the weird Magic Island featured one year in White Dwarf (Where players fought Warhammer battles and reported the results to GW to determine the story outcome. I did a naval battle in this vein)

                            Finally, there was a treasure scenario as well... I'll have to look all these up though and post some details.

                          • Marell Le Fou
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 6, 2012
                              I had proposed a "take/rescue the slaves" for chaos dwarves and an other fleet, but i proposed it on the forum and it disappeared with it :(
                              Marell

                              ________________________________
                              De : manowarplayer <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
                              À : theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com
                              Envoyé le : Mercredi 6 juin 2012 17h02
                              Objet : Re: Re : [The Sea Of Claws] June(/July) Topic?

                              Off the top of my head, I've done scenarios for the following:

                              PLAGUE! (A Nurgle invasion of Bretonnian shores)

                              RETRIBUTION ( Payback from the scenario above from the forces of good)

                              FREE FOR ALL (8 players against each other. Simultaneous damage, random turn order)

                              SINK THE COLOSSES! (Find the Orc Colosses and sink it - like the Bismark)

                              THE GATES OF BARAK VARR (A Dark Elf Fleet sneaks upriver to the mighty Dwarf Sea Fortress to try and trap the Dwarf fleet inside)

                              VOLCANO! (Several fleets converge around an active Volcano)

                              The HUNT for RED ORCTOBER (Find the Rogue Orc Sub and sink or capture it!)

                              I've also done three other scenarios that I can't think of the names for:

                              1 about the High Elf Fortress on the Cape of... Absolution (or something like that)

                              Another about the weird Magic Island featured one year in White Dwarf (Where players fought Warhammer battles and reported the results to GW to determine the story outcome. I did a naval battle in this vein)

                              Finally, there was a treasure scenario as well... I'll have to look all these up though and post some details.

                              Scott

                              --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, Marell Le Fou <marell_le_fou@...> wrote:

                              > Let's start with a scenario with standard fleets.
                              >

                              > ________________________________
                              > De : Michael Stachnik <ms_hwarang@...>
                              > À : "theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com" <theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com>
                              > Envoyé le : Mercredi 6 juin 2012 9h58
                              > Objet : Re: [The Sea Of Claws] June(/July) Topic?
                              >

                              > Hi all,
                              > I like the idea of scenarios as a topic. I would like to hear about a Storm of Magic type scenario with a monster / magic heavy slant. Just an idea.
                              > Michael
                              > Bolingbrook Ill.
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                            • Holger
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 6, 2012
                                Hi!

                                -Marell, you also have the zombie whales and the one with the Chaos gate.

                                -I have somewhere drafts for Pirate scenarios, and a few round economic
                                and military blockades, have to dig them up.

                                -Most sea wars in history were not fought for the sake of ship-clashes
                                or the war itself, but had their roots very often in trade conflicts.
                                So there is an incentive to plunder or defend strategically import
                                places (merchant ports, shore-forts, straits) or convoys.
                                I still dream of one type of freight ship for every faction.

                                -Certain fleets might need if operating really far from their own base:
                                coal in case of the Dwarf and Chaos Dwarf ships, warpstones for Skaven
                                ships. This could be done with "milkcow" supply ships (compare WW2
                                milkcow-submarines which were not attacking sub but brought fuel and
                                torpedoes to other attack-subs).
                                That would be a scenario as well. One player has to get the milk-cow
                                +small escort to the fleet, the other has to find and destroy the milk-cow.

                                -Message 10564 I drew up some ideas for Elves vs CD.

                                /Holger

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 6, 2012
                                  A freight ship model for each fleet would be a very sympathetic idea !
                                  Convoy attack or plunder Barbour are always great scenarios.

                                  Seek for Mik_cow destruction would be nice too.

                                  About plundering ports, i had proposed some ground attack ideas months ago.

                                  Marell

                                  ________________________________
                                  De : Holger <holger.daniels@...>
                                  À : theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com
                                  Envoyé le : Jeudi 7 juin 2012 7h30
                                  Objet : Re: Re : Re : [The Sea Of Claws] June(/July) Topic?

                                  Scott wrote:

                                  > Off the top of my head, I've done scenarios for the following:
                                  >
                                  > PLAGUE! (A Nurgle invasion of Bretonnian shores)
                                  >
                                  > RETRIBUTION ( Payback from the scenario above from the forces of good)
                                  >
                                  > FREE FOR ALL (8 players against each other. Simultaneous damage,
                                  > random turn order)
                                  >
                                  > SINK THE COLOSSES! (Find the Orc Colosses and sink it - like the Bismark)
                                  >
                                  > THE GATES OF BARAK VARR (A Dark Elf Fleet sneaks upriver to the mighty
                                  > Dwarf Sea Fortress to try and trap the Dwarf fleet inside)
                                  >
                                  > VOLCANO! (Several fleets converge around an active Volcano)
                                  >
                                  > The HUNT for RED ORCTOBER (Find the Rogue Orc Sub and sink or capture it!)
                                  >
                                  > I've also done three other scenarios that I can't think of the names for:
                                  >
                                  > 1 about the High Elf Fortress on the Cape of... Absolution (or
                                  > something like that)
                                  >
                                  > Another about the weird Magic Island featured one year in White Dwarf
                                  > (Where players fought Warhammer battles and reported the results to GW
                                  > to determine the story outcome. I did a naval battle in this vein)
                                  >
                                  > Finally, there was a treasure scenario as well... I'll have to look
                                  > all these up though and post some details.

                                • Andrew Clagett
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 14, 2012
                                    Well, we went over all of this previously, but I've always used 2 attacks with the Dragon Blades and never found that to make the Elf Fleet overpowered.