Undead fleets : Interesting Warmaster elements

  • Marell Le Fou
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
      Hello group,

      I'am actually looking for bitz from here and there to build and ameliorate some undead ships. I need a big ship for my khemri fleet.

      I have noted some bitz from the Warmaster range can (again) be used easily and could be a very nice addition to a ship.

      The ballistas :

      http://data7.blog.de/media/983/6203983_811aaf3a01_l.jpeg

      They are sold by pack of two and could help ornate the front of a ship, or even the main structure of a ship. They are approx 4cm long.

      Catapults :

      http://data7.blog.de/media/976/6203976_8f29629c9b_l.jpeg

      I don't remember if there is only one or two in a pack. The structure could easily be used to ornate a big ship like the one i'm working on.

      The characters :

      http://data7.blog.de/media/329/6019329_bdb5065b9f_l.jpeg

      May be used to ornate a ship with a statue or something huge.

      Marell

    • holger.daniels@telia.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
        Hi!
        Thanks for pointing to them.

        The Ballistas are a very nice base for skullrammers, same pictures as message #12194, this time the ships in the foreground.
        If I remember correctly than it was Scott who also has skullrammers based on these ballista, with the arms still sticking out horizontally, whereas I sawed them off and stacked them over the skull and horns.

        I found them in packs of three(!) second-hand sold on a convention.
        The ballista's crew (2 sprues with 4 different skeletons on each if I remember right) is very usable too. I used part of the crew for my Necropolis.

        The catapults would be nice for a big ship.
        Alternatively Undead/khemri themed shorefort.

        /Holger

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
          Hi!

          Two more things which are useful for Undead conversions:
          (Both I have i my bit box, so I know their real dimensions)

          The Mighty Empire Necropolis:
          http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/File:Necropolis.jpg
          Over the year I have seen quite some examples of these used as bow or central sections for Undead Floating Necropolis ships.
          It is big, so depending on what you plan it might need some trimming down/shortening.

          What I however never have seen used is the Mighty Empire temple:
          http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/File:Temple.jpg
          It has the right size to be incorporated along a big ship's hull. It would be too wide to have it oriented perpendicular to the hull's axis.

          /Holger

        • Marell Le Fou
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2012
            Here are some new Warmaster elements. I went in my warmaster drawers and took everythink that looked usable for MOW. I don't have the whole warmaster units available of course !

            Here are the two elements we where discussing but with clearer picts.

            The ballista :
            http://data7.blog.de/media/913/6226913_6b49752a28_l.jpeg
            http://data7.blog.de/media/914/6226914_fab5af6a59_l.jpeg

            The catapult side (there are left and one right) :
            http://data7.blog.de/media/919/6226919_ce6311a822_l.jpeg

            Here is the main arm of the said catapult :
            http://data7.blog.de/media/924/6226924_7d79419536_l.jpeg

            I'm sure it could be used for something interesting... Don't see it yet. Maybe just keep the main form and the skull and remove the rock pack under it to make a sort of big spar... Or even an orcish big hammer with a skull ?

            Two other interesting things i think : the center part of chariots. The long part between the two horses, from undead and chaos armies :

            http://data7.blog.de/media/917/6226917_60f8893a5c_l.jpeg
            http://data7.blog.de/media/910/6226910_71524e9f05_l.jpeg

            They could be used for a front weapon. A ram or something else. They are approx 2cm only each. So useable for MOW with very little work needed. Especially the chaos one. Strong and deadly appearance... Could be interesting for people who don't want to pay a high price for Slaanesh Hellramers for example.

            The other part of the chariots is great too.Approx 1 cm.

            http://data7.blog.de/media/912/6226912_7c886439d1_l.jpeg
            http://data7.blog.de/media/918/6226918_83f9b2ee8a_l.jpeg

            (chaos and khemry ones)

            I wondered how use it and finally i thought it could fit perfectly for a little ship back castle ! So if you have a main hulk and you don't know what to put on it to make a nice looking ship, don't hesitate to buy this blister. They are sold by three (!) and easily found on ebay.

            The main part of an orc chariot... Approx 2,5 cm.
            http://data7.blog.de/media/909/6226909_5c8e818bb7_l.jpeg

            Remember this great diorama of Barak Varr for a french Games Day few years ago ?
            http://data7.blog.de/media/909/6226909_5c8e818bb7_l.jpeg
            http://www.rumeur2jeux.fr/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/BARAK-VAR-16.jpg

            Remove the wheels, add two floaters at the middle axe crossing the main one (and they are even going down !) and you have a great gobelin/orcish ship with an impressive spar and a wooden main deck.

            There is an other version of chariot, the gobelin one :

            http://data7.blog.de/media/908/6226908_1399bcf8d0_l.jpeg

            Following the same idea, you can easily build a strange deadly ship with two strange blade on each side. Approx 2,5 cm.

            I have to make a necropolis for my undead fleet (still painting it). I tryed to put in place the two parts of the undead catapult. Here is a quick result.
            http://data7.blog.de/media/925/6226925_6da7b1c8da_l.jpeg

            I would like to add a pyramid in the middle. And two obelisk in the front. Probably with the undead statue sitting on a throne i had shown last day, in the center of the ship.
            Will try to find a pyramid and those obelisks.

            If someone have an idea where to find a little pyramid ?

            I will try to rewrite all that and put it on the blog.

            Marell

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2012
              I have them both. They are still available at GW if i remember well, but you have to enter "campaign markers" or something like that in the research. "campain" should suffice to find them.

              OK here is the link :)

              http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1140150

              There are a great number of nice figs for MOW. Really. I have them all and i think it was worth the price. The temple you mentioned is not here but with a little patience, you can have it via ebay.

              Marell

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 9, 2012
                Hi!
                Marell wrote:
                >If someone have an idea where to find a little pyramid ?

                On the Dreadfleet model of the "Curse of Zandri" is one. Size approx
                1x1cm base.
                (actually one of my children managed to get just that part to disappear
                without any trace, probably by now it has been eaten by the vacuum
                cleaner :/ - now I have to substitute, probably by making an own pyramid).

                /Holger
              • Marell Le Fou
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 9, 2012
                  Hai, Holger, children will be soon old enough to retaliate your fleets !
                  I would like a bigger pyramid, and i think i will have to make it entirely... We will see. Thanks for the idea.

                  Marell

                  ________________________________
                  De : Holger <holger.daniels@...>
                  À : theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com
                  Envoyé le : Samedi 10 mars 2012 7h21

                  Hi!
                  Marell wrote:
                  >If someone have an idea where to find a little pyramid ?

                  On the Dreadfleet model of the "Curse of Zandri" is one. Size approx
                  1x1cm base.
                  (actually one of my children managed to get just that part to disappear
                  without any trace, probably by now it has been eaten by the vacuum
                  cleaner :/ - now I have to substitute, probably by making an own pyramid).

                  /Holger

                • plasma_hecto
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 10, 2012
                    once I made and historical camp for my egyptian army with a pyramid and an obelisk out of souvenirs.