Higher quality 3D ships from Shapeways?

  • epengr
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
      Hi All,

      I was looking at shapeways.com, a professional 3D printing company with much better hardware than I have, and I'm almost tempted to upload my models to them and create an online store so they could be bought as high quality prints. I may even clean up and add detail to some models before I do. IF there was any interest.

      I think things like sunk markers this way may peak some interest - they'd probably be ~$7 each, as would most ships of the line.

      http://www.shapeways.com/model/461104/sunk_galley.html?key=f824877c8a3dab03e2368a1c483a991e

      Something like the Ork Hulk would end up being $20.

      That Ogre tyrant ship that I've printed one copy of would be ~$13.

      Does this appeal to anyone?

      -David
    • Cotterill.tristan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2012
        Its funny you mention this as i am atm in the middle of completing an empire fleet to sell on shapeways

        So i will definately say the market is there

        Sent from Samsung Galaxy on O2

        I was looking at shapeways.com, a professional 3D printing company with much better hardware than I have, and I'm almost tempted to upload my models to them and create an online store so they could be bought as high quality prints. I may even clean up and add detail to some models before I do. IF there was any interest.

        I think things like sunk markers this way may peak some interest - they'd probably be ~$7 each, as would most ships of the line.

        http://www.shapeways.com/model/461104/sunk_galley.html?key=f824877c8a3dab03e2368a1c483a991e

        Something like the Ork Hulk would end up being $20.

        That Ogre tyrant ship that I've printed one copy of would be ~$13.

        Does this appeal to anyone?

        -David

        TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!
        A million packs of birth control pills recalled
        Pfizer announces an error that could put women at risk of unintended pregnancy.
        Privacy Policy

      • Chadling
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2012
          You could consider reducing the scale of your ships.

          I produce various spaceship miniatures through shapeways. Various tricks
          can be used to make your pieces cheaper such as making it hollow or
          reproducing yourself solid parts of large shapes that use often ( like the
          hull of a ship that all your designs are based off of ). I've experimented
          with GI Joe guns, using shapeways to produce details like hull plating and
          engines which are glued over the GI Joe gun after its been cut down to not
          look like a gun.

          On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM, epengr <david.muir@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I was looking at shapeways.com, a professional 3D printing company with
          > much better hardware than I have, and I'm almost tempted to upload my
          > models to them and create an online store so they could be bought as high
          > quality prints. I may even clean up and add detail to some models before I
          > do. IF there was any interest.
          >
          > I think things like sunk markers this way may peak some interest - they'd
          > probably be ~$7 each, as would most ships of the line.
          >

          > http://www.shapeways.com/model/461104/sunk_galley.html?key=f824877c8a3dab03e2368a1c483a991e
          >
          > Something like the Ork Hulk would end up being $20.
          >
          > That Ogre tyrant ship that I've printed one copy of would be ~$13.
          >
          > Does this appeal to anyone?
          >
          > -David

        • epengr
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2012
            Well.... Here's some motivation for you - competition!

            Since I spent half of last year making models for ALL the MoW ships for my printer, I'm a bit ahead of you - maybe.

            http://www.shapeways.com/shops/epengr

            but since mine were designed for a low resolution printer, you may beat me with detail...

            -David

            --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "Cotterill.tristan" <cotterill.tristan@...> wrote:

            > Its funny you mention this as i am atm in the middle of completing an empire fleet to sell on shapeways
            >
            > So i will definately say the market is there
            >

            > Sent from Samsung Galaxy on O2

          • Marell Le Fou
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2012
              The idea might be interesting, but i still need to paint all the stuff you send me few month ago. I'm very late at that but it would allow me to have a better idea of what is possible and what could be enhanced.
              I'm not sure i would pay 20 $ for a sunk marker, anyway. I would need at least two of each battleship type and three or four for the SOL.
              Marell

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 7, 2012
                No Worries. I certainly understand how life can get in the way of gaming J

                I’ve uploaded one sunk marker, and I think it came out to ~$7. The largest ship I’ve uploaded (the ork hulk) is $16 (although the Black Ark should be amusing when I do upload it). The pricing is a flat base plus price per volume, so I can make it cheaper by creating sets of sunken markers so you only pay that flat base price once. I’ll work on getting some sets together and uploaded. They will still be more expensive than I’d sell them to you for – but I suspect you’d be happier with them.

                -David