Re: Re : [The Sea Of Claws] Re: Ogre Fleet models

  • Holger
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 1, 2011
      Hi!

      Along my lines as well (Even if Idoubt i will ever field an Ogre fleet,
      maybe a boat as ally).
      Want immediately sprang into my mind again when the thread was started
      was a picture I have on my hard-disc (in the far too large :/ folder
      named "projects").
      It is from GW's sketches for WH online. I uploaded into the Ogre file
      folder (bateau_orc2.jpg).
      The front skull would be very fitting for the Great Maw. And the overall
      design is exactly the style Marell wrote down so nicely.

      Another of similar design is
      http://images.wikia.com/warhammeronline/images/3/35/GoblinDredgerBarge.jpg

      /Holger

      Marell wrote:

      > I don't want ogres ships with straight lines. In my mind, they have to
      > be made of this and that, assembled with what ogres can find, great
      > skulls, leather and mammoth defences...
      > You see what i mean. No straight lines. No squared angles. No mast
      > perfectly equilibrated.
      > Savage. Powerful. Enormous.

    • David Muir
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 1, 2011
        Tricky but doable with a 3D printer. Would involve a lot of multipart
        models, but that's just more fun to design.

        The problem is, I like both the Chinese junk idea and the more
        organic/chaotic hobbled together look. Tough to know which way to go.

        -David

        Marell wrote:

        > I don't want ogres ships with straight lines. In my mind, they have to
        > be made of this and that, assembled with what ogres can find, great
        > skulls, leather and mammoth defences...
        > You see what i mean. No straight lines. No squared angles. No mast
        > perfectly equilibrated.
        > Savage. Powerful. Enormous.

      • Victor Garcia
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 1, 2011
          just to complicate things: The Ogre juggernaught from Warcraft

          http://www.wowpedia.org/Juggernaught

          :-)

          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 1, 2011
            That’s Awesome! I may have to model that just for the fun of it… Using it in a GW game may be rather blasphemous, but I clearly like living life near the edge…

            For the other designs, you guy could take a pile o’ white glue and a hand full of wood chips and get pretty close with about 5 minutes worth of work… J

            -David

            Marell wrote:

            > I don't want ogres ships with straight lines. In my mind, they have to

            > be made of this and that, assembled with what ogres can find, great

            > skulls, leather and mammoth defences...

            > You see what i mean. No straight lines. No squared angles. No mast

            > perfectly equilibrated.

            > Savage. Powerful. Enormous.

          • Marell Le Fou
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 1, 2011
              The picture you uploaded in the ogre folder is close to what i imagine for ogres.
              Ogres would have more leather tents on it, etc.
              Gobelin barge is really nice in this way, too. But maybe looks a little too fragile.
              On the french warmaster forum, an ogre player has presented its sceneries. Here is the topic. Just check the pictures.
              http://www.warhammer-forum.com/index.php?showtopic=174404
              Marell

              ________________________________
              De : Holger <holger.daniels@...>
              À : theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com
              Envoyé le : Vendredi 2 Décembre 2011 2h30
              Objet : Re: Re : [The Sea Of Claws] Re: Ogre Fleet models

              Marell wrote:

              > I don't want ogres ships with straight lines. In my mind, they have to
              > be made of this and that, assembled with what ogres can find, great
              > skulls, leather and mammoth defences...
              > You see what i mean. No straight lines. No squared angles. No mast
              > perfectly equilibrated.
              > Savage. Powerful. Enormous.

            • Marell Le Fou
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 1, 2011
                Adding a Chinese looking sail on a hull made of this and that could be sufficient to represent the eastern aspect ?
                Marell

                ________________________________

                Marell wrote:

                > I don't want ogres ships with straight lines. In my mind, they have to
                > be made of this and that, assembled with what ogres can find, great
                > skulls, leather and mammoth defences...
                > You see what i mean. No straight lines. No squared angles. No mast
                > perfectly equilibrated.
                > Savage. Powerful. Enormous.

              • Marell Le Fou
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 1, 2011
                  In my mind, it's more an orc construction. Orcs are supposed to be more advanced, technologically speaking, in the warhammer world.

                  But it looks terrific ! I would have loved orc hulks looking like that.

                  Marell

                  ________________________________
                  De : Victor Garcia <red_zebra_ve@...>
                  À : theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com
                  Envoyé le : Vendredi 2 Décembre 2011 4h01

                  Marell wrote:

                  > I don't want ogres ships with straight lines. In my mind, they have to

                  > be made of this and that, assembled with what ogres can find, great

                  > skulls, leather and mammoth defences...

                  > You see what i mean. No straight lines. No squared angles. No mast

                  > perfectly equilibrated.

                  > Savage. Powerful. Enormous.

                • shaungamer88
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 1, 2011
                    I would probably avoid the Asian looking sail because there is still the option for Cathay or Nippon fleets in the Man O' War world.

                    A simple concept image has been posted by me, in the Ogre folder - Ogre ship.JPG

                    It hasn't turned out exactly like I imagine, but it is close . . . :-)
                    (The ribs wouldn't be as uniform and the curves of the hull would be more uneven).
                    ~ Shaun
                  • Marell Le Fou
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 1, 2011
                      I prefer this one !
                      I think the global shape of the hull is still very human looking. Remove the great bones and it's still a bretonnian or empire hull.
                      Marell

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 1, 2011
                        Yes! That's excellent! I like. Did you sketch that by hand? Remarkable!

                        I've uploaded a pic of a 3D model based on your sketch to the Ogre folder where
                        the sketch is. It should be printable - I may be able to test print it tonight
                        or tomorrow.

                        Comments welcome.

                        -David

                        Quoting Marell Le Fou <marell_le_fou@...>:

                        > I prefer this one !
                        > I think the global shape of the hull is still very human looking. Remove the
                        > great bones and it's still a bretonnian or empire hull.
                        > Marell
                        >

                        > ________________________________
                        > De : shaungamer88 <shaunmcse8@...>
                        > À : theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com
                        > Envoyé le : Vendredi 2 Décembre 2011 9h34
                        > Objet : Re : Re : [The Sea Of Claws] Re: Ogre Fleet models
                        >

                        > I would probably avoid the Asian looking sail because there is still the
                        > option for Cathay or Nippon fleets in the Man O' War world.
                        >
                        > A simple concept image has been posted by me, in the Ogre folder - Ogre
                        > ship.JPG
                        >
                        > It hasn't turned out exactly like I imagine, but it is close . . . :-)
                        > (The ribs wouldn't be as uniform and the curves of the hull would be more
                        > uneven).
                        > ~ Shaun

                        =====================================
                        David Muir, M.Sc.
                        Graduate Student
                        Department of Physics and Engineering Physics
                        University of Saskatchewan
                        116 Science Place
                        Saskatoon, SK S7N 5E2
                        Phone: (306) 657-3766 or (306) 966-6380
                        Fax: (306) 657-3535
                        david.muir@...
                      • shaungamer88
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 1, 2011
                          Actually, I cheated, it is not really a sketch . . . I used DOGA to create a 3D model and then rendered it with a sketch wire-frame.

                          That was an incredibly quick interpretation of my concept!
                          It will be interesting to see how those skinny cones turn out on your Printer???

                          Of course, I like it! (Who wouldn't like seeing their ideas turning in to reality!)

                          Thank you David.

                          I wonder how Bill from GFTCO will interpret the Ship designs and if he has received any other sketches in his email?

                          ~ Shaun

                          p.s. Will be offline now until Monday

                          --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, David Muir <david.muir@...> wrote:

                          > Yes! That's excellent! I like. Did you sketch that by hand? Remarkable!
                          >
                          > I've uploaded a pic of a 3D model based on your sketch to the Ogre folder where
                          > the sketch is. It should be printable - I may be able to test print it tonight
                          > or tomorrow.
                          >
                          > Comments welcome.
                          >
                          > -David
                          >

                          > Quoting Marell Le Fou <marell_le_fou@...>:
                          >
                          > > I prefer this one !
                          > > I think the global shape of the hull is still very human looking. Remove the
                          > > great bones and it's still a bretonnian or empire hull.
                          > > Marell
                          > >

                          > > ________________________________
                          > > De : shaungamer88 <shaunmcse8@...>
                          > > À : theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com
                          > > Envoyé le : Vendredi 2 Décembre 2011 9h34
                          > > Objet : Re : Re : [The Sea Of Claws] Re: Ogre Fleet models
                          > >

                          > > I would probably avoid the Asian looking sail because there is still the
                          > > option for Cathay or Nippon fleets in the Man O' War world.
                          > >
                          > > A simple concept image has been posted by me, in the Ogre folder - Ogre
                          > > ship.JPG
                          > >
                          > > It hasn't turned out exactly like I imagine, but it is close . . . :-)
                          > > (The ribs wouldn't be as uniform and the curves of the hull would be more
                          > > uneven).
                          > > ~ Shaun

                          > =====================================
                          > David Muir, M.Sc.
                          > Graduate Student
                          > Department of Physics and Engineering Physics
                          > University of Saskatchewan
                          > 116 Science Place
                          > Saskatoon, SK S7N 5E2
                          > Phone: (306) 657-3766 or (306) 966-6380
                          > Fax: (306) 657-3535
                          > david.muir@...

                        • epengr
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 1, 2011
                            Doh! You probably could have sent it to me in a format I could print it from! Although to tweak it for printing, I'd probably end up re-modelling it anyways.

                            I just finished printing it, I added the pic to the Ogre folder. Didn't turn out too bad. I've beefed up the ribs a bit, and the "teeth" at the front didn't print at all, so I had to beef them up too. Printing it at a higher resolution would probably make a big difference with this model too.

                            -David

                            --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "shaungamer88" <shaunmcse8@...> wrote:

                            > Actually, I cheated, it is not really a sketch . . . I used DOGA to create a 3D model and then rendered it with a sketch wire-frame.
                            >
                            > That was an incredibly quick interpretation of my concept!
                            > It will be interesting to see how those skinny cones turn out on your Printer???
                            >
                            > Of course, I like it! (Who wouldn't like seeing their ideas turning in to reality!)
                            >
                            > Thank you David.
                            >
                            > I wonder how Bill from GFTCO will interpret the Ship designs and if he has received any other sketches in his email?
                            >
                            > ~ Shaun
                            >
                            > p.s. Will be offline now until Monday
                            >
                            > --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, David Muir <david.muir@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Yes! That's excellent! I like. Did you sketch that by hand? Remarkable!
                            > >
                            > > I've uploaded a pic of a 3D model based on your sketch to the Ogre folder where
                            > > the sketch is. It should be printable - I may be able to test print it tonight
                            > > or tomorrow.
                            > >
                            > > Comments welcome.
                            > >
                            > > -David
                            > >

                            > > Quoting Marell Le Fou <marell_le_fou@>:
                            > >
                            > > > I prefer this one !
                            > > > I think the global shape of the hull is still very human looking. Remove the
                            > > > great bones and it's still a bretonnian or empire hull.
                            > > > Marell
                            > > >

                            > > > ________________________________
                            > > > De : shaungamer88 <shaunmcse8@>
                            > > > À : theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com
                            > > > Envoyé le : Vendredi 2 Décembre 2011 9h34
                            > > > Objet : Re : Re : [The Sea Of Claws] Re: Ogre Fleet models
                            > > >

                            > > > I would probably avoid the Asian looking sail because there is still the
                            > > > option for Cathay or Nippon fleets in the Man O' War world.
                            > > >
                            > > > A simple concept image has been posted by me, in the Ogre folder - Ogre
                            > > > ship.JPG
                            > > >
                            > > > It hasn't turned out exactly like I imagine, but it is close . . . :-)
                            > > > (The ribs wouldn't be as uniform and the curves of the hull would be more
                            > > > uneven).
                            > > > ~ Shaun

                            > > David Muir, M.Sc.
                            > > Graduate Student
                            > > Department of Physics and Engineering Physics
                            > > University of Saskatchewan
                            > > 116 Science Place
                            > > Saskatoon, SK S7N 5E2
                            > > Phone: (306) 657-3766 or (306) 966-6380
                            > > Fax: (306) 657-3535
                            > > david.muir@

                          • Marell Le Fou
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 1, 2011
                              Not so bad for a first cast.
                              What would be the difference for you to print in a better quality ?

                              Marell

                              ________________________________
                              De : epengr <david.muir@...>
                              À : theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com
                              Envoyé le : Vendredi 2 Décembre 2011 16h17

                            • shaungamer88
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 4, 2011
                                I like the printed model, it has worked out really well.
                                Seeing a photo, it looks a bit strange at the bow. Is it possible to add some smaller ribs to the front to take away the formal, uniform look?

                                I cannot tell from the photo whether the deck is flat or has detail. The deck should have tents - I know my sketch didn't really show that properly!!

                                I am impressed with how quickly you can create these ideas into a physical model.

                                ~ Shaun

                                --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "epengr" <david.muir@...> wrote:

                                > Doh! You probably could have sent it to me in a format I could
                                > print it from! Although to tweak it for printing, I'd probably
                                > end up re-modelling it anyways.
                                >
                                > I just finished printing it, I added the pic to the Ogre folder.
                                > Didn't turn out too bad. I've beefed up the ribs a bit, and
                                > the "teeth" at the front didn't print at all, so I had to beef
                                > them up too. Printing it at a higher resolution would probably
                                > make a big difference with this model too.
                                >
                                > -David
                              • Andrew Clagett
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 4, 2011
                                  Shaun is impressed. I'm utterly flabbergasted. How the hell do you create those models? What is a '3D printer'? I doubt I'll ever be in a position to purchase whatever tech allows you to 'print' a 3D model (honestly, during previous discussions on this topic I thought you were making paper prints that could be folded up into a box that had the correct view on all sides), but, details aside, its pretty damn amazing.

                                  > I like the printed model, it has worked out really well.
                                  > Seeing a photo, it looks a bit strange at the bow. Is it possible to add some smaller ribs to the front to take away the formal, uniform look?
                                  >
                                  > I cannot tell from the photo whether the deck is flat or has detail. The deck should have tents - I know my sketch didn't really show that properly!!
                                  >
                                  > I am impressed with how quickly you can create these ideas into a physical model.
                                  >
                                  > ~ Shaun
                                  >
                                  > --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "epengr" <david.muir@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Doh! You probably could have sent it to me in a format I could
                                  > > print it from! Although to tweak it for printing, I'd probably
                                  > > end up re-modelling it anyways.
                                  > >
                                  > > I just finished printing it, I added the pic to the Ogre folder.
                                  > > Didn't turn out too bad. I've beefed up the ribs a bit, and
                                  > > the "teeth" at the front didn't print at all, so I had to beef
                                  > > them up too. Printing it at a higher resolution would probably
                                  > > make a big difference with this model too.
                                  > >
                                  > > -David

                                • David Muir
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 5, 2011
                                    Thanks! J

                                    My 3D printer is a cheap little thing I built from plans available on the
                                    internet (reprap.org), that's basically a little tiny hot melt glue gun on a
                                    3D motion stage, allowing it to extrude plastic out into the shapes you
                                    want. There's a time-lapse video of it printing in the files section in
                                    the 3D printer folder.

                                    I create the models in a mechanical CAD program that I have access to
                                    through work/school. I've modelled replacements for all the original ships
                                    and I'm starting in on the Ogres now as I have time. I'm hoping there will
                                    be some interest from the group in these - I sell them really cheap.

                                    There was another user that made 3D box proxies with views from all sides
                                    quite some time ago. A couple years ago (ish?) I took his images and made a
                                    few true 3D textured paper models (that fold up into the right shape with a
                                    LOT more work.). Technology's come a long way since then ;).

                                    I just wish I had one of those $250,000 SLS commercial 3D printers. I could
                                    turn out mini's that would rival the best cast minis available. I'd need
                                    to charge $500 each for them, but it would still be awesome.

                                    -David

                                    <mailto:theseaofclaws%40yahoogroups.com> , "epengr" <david.muir@> wrote:

                                    > > Doh! You probably could have sent it to me in a format I could
                                    > > print it from! Although to tweak it for printing, I'd probably
                                    > > end up re-modelling it anyways.
                                    > >
                                    > > I just finished printing it, I added the pic to the Ogre folder.
                                    > > Didn't turn out too bad. I've beefed up the ribs a bit, and
                                    > > the "teeth" at the front didn't print at all, so I had to beef
                                    > > them up too. Printing it at a higher resolution would probably
                                    > > make a big difference with this model too.
                                    > >
                                    > > -David

                                  • bak3r1980
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 30, 2011
                                      Hi Bill,

                                      Just wondering how you are getting on with yor prototypes?

                                      Have you got anywhere with them yet?

                                      Can't wait to see what you are able to come up with to bring the Ogres to life.

                                      Paul.

                                      --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "wag4803055" <wag4803055@...> wrote:

                                      > Now that I have been a able to save my small business for another year, thanks to a pair of timely fleet orders, I will be able to begin the design process for Ogre Fleet ships.
                                      >
                                      > What I would like to have are some design ideas pertaining to the "look" of these ships. Some visuals are included in the fleet template silhouettes, but detail sketches on each ship type, including the bow and stern decoration ideas would be of great help. I am thinking of using my Reptillian Battle Canoe and Warbarge hulls as the basis for the Ogre fleet hulls, but the Gnobalar slave ship and the Great Maw may be different.
                                      >
                                      > So, if you are artistic and feel inclined please send my some of your images. A scanned sketch would be ideal and please email them to gftco03055@...
                                      >
                                      > Thanks. Maybe I can have ogre fleet ships in a few months.
                                      >
                                      > Bill
                                      > GFTCO

                                    • wag4803055
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 30, 2011
                                        Dang! I thought I'd have some time to work in them while on vacation, but with all my family home I have had little spare time. Once the new year begins, I don't start back to school until late in January, so I'll be able to start the work. I was hoping for more ideas. So far the only ones I have seen were the ships using large tree trunks as a hull.

                                        Bill

                                        --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "bak3r1980" <bak3r1980@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Bill,
                                        >
                                        > Just wondering how you are getting on with yor prototypes?
                                        >
                                        > Have you got anywhere with them yet?
                                        >
                                        > Can't wait to see what you are able to come up with to bring the Ogres to life.
                                        >
                                        > Paul.
                                        >
                                        > --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "wag4803055" <wag4803055@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Now that I have been a able to save my small business for another year, thanks to a pair of timely fleet orders, I will be able to begin the design process for Ogre Fleet ships.
                                        > >
                                        > > What I would like to have are some design ideas pertaining to the "look" of these ships. Some visuals are included in the fleet template silhouettes, but detail sketches on each ship type, including the bow and stern decoration ideas would be of great help. I am thinking of using my Reptillian Battle Canoe and Warbarge hulls as the basis for the Ogre fleet hulls, but the Gnobalar slave ship and the Great Maw may be different.
                                        > >
                                        > > So, if you are artistic and feel inclined please send my some of your images. A scanned sketch would be ideal and please email them to gftco03055@
                                        > >
                                        > > Thanks. Maybe I can have ogre fleet ships in a few months.
                                        > >
                                        > > Bill
                                        > > GFTCO

                                      • Paul Baker
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 30, 2011
                                          As I find, life always gets in the way!  I must admit, I was forming ideas in my mind for an Orge fleet, but I was just no fast enough, which is good as I didn't have very good ideas to be honest!!
                                          I had thought of ships made up of logs as well, but from re-reading he army book, they had a lot of dealing with the Chaos dwarves, so I would say they have to have steam, but i would think that they then add sheds loads to it, like bones, skins....trophies basically.  Man O War ships always seem to have a structure on the deck as well, maybe the towers at the back of the elf ships, the extra decks on the empire greatship, so i was thinking about a bigger version of the tents that the Orgres make that are seen in a few White Dwarf magazines.
                                          Hope this helps a little.
                                          Paul.