Re: Re : [The Sea Of Claws] Magic rules

  • Mark Schlein
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
      Thank you Marell, I have just about everything I need now combining the
      information from the sites too.

      Now I want more ships!!! 3 Pirate galleys and a few Galleons is just not
      enough!!

      I have started scratch building a few - will post some shots when done to see
      what you think.

      ________________________________
      De: Mark Schlein <schlein_mark@...>
      Objet: [The Sea Of Claws] Magic rules
      À: theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mercredi 27 octobre 2010, 1h39

      Hello All,

      I am new to Man o War having recently found some ships in a second hand game of
      Mighty Empires! I am keen to play having always been interested in naval gaming.
      I have a few of the various rule summaries that have been posted around the
      place, however none have any details about Magic. I am keen to play the game
      with my sons and while I understand that this game is almost impossible to get,
      could someone help me piece together a ruleset?

    • wag4803055
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2010
        Have you visited greenforesttradingco.com? Their Fantasy Fleets range includes Human and Pirate fleets that are perfect for MOW.
        Many members here own these ships.

        BG

        --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, Mark Schlein <schlein_mark@...> wrote:

        > Thank you Marell, I have just about everything I need now combining the
        > information from the sites too.
        >
        > Now I want more ships!!! 3 Pirate galleys and a few Galleons is just not
        > enough!!
        >
        > I have started scratch building a few - will post some shots when done to see
        > what you think.
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Holger Daniels
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2010
          Hi!

          Bill, for fairness sake you might mention that you are one of the owners
          of Green Forest trading.

          Some more proxies:
          -Langton does 1/1200 ships for ancient, American Civil War, Baltic,
          Napoleonic, Anglo-Dutch, Renaissance, and American Great Lakes eras.
          They also do lots of 1/1200 terrain items. They are beautifully sculpted
          and cast, and their prices reflect that.

          -Navwar does 1/1200 ships for the ancient, Renaissance, Dutch Wars,
          Napoleonic, and ACW eras. Many of them work as Empire and Bretonnian
          ships, and the ACW Ironclads make good Dwarf ships.

          -Outpost does some great little 1/1200 Medieval Cogs. Perfect for Empire
          and Bretonnian ships, and they make good merchants, too.

          -Valiant http://www.veltd.net/index.htm , inclusive viking longboats,
          most of their ships sold in 3-4packs, sea snake

          -GHQ napeleonic ships, a bit too small for MoW though

          -Hobby Products, "Empire" line, beautiful ships for Fantasy fleets. A
          bit smaller than MoW ships but still compatible. I like their Elf ships
          actually better than the MoW ones.
          Had Empire, Elf, Dwarf, Goblin ships, unfortunately OOP as company laid
          off, and therefore difficult to get.

          -Robert (olishem) here on the list sold some years ago nice resin Undead
          ships, but I am not sure if he still does.

          /Holger
        • customrobbo
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2010
            The Fantasy Fleets ships ARE awesome though!

            Or, you can convert/ 'scratch build' your own ships from other parts (like my "Chaos Dwarf converted ship" picture in the Photos section).
            :)

            --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, Holger Daniels <holger.daniels@...> wrote:

            > Hi!
            >
            > Bill, for fairness sake you might mention that you are one of the owners
            > of Green Forest trading.
            >
            > Some more proxies:
            > -Langton does 1/1200 ships for ancient, American Civil War, Baltic,
            > Napoleonic, Anglo-Dutch, Renaissance, and American Great Lakes eras.
            > They also do lots of 1/1200 terrain items. They are beautifully sculpted
            > and cast, and their prices reflect that.
            >
            > -Navwar does 1/1200 ships for the ancient, Renaissance, Dutch Wars,
            > Napoleonic, and ACW eras. Many of them work as Empire and Bretonnian
            > ships, and the ACW Ironclads make good Dwarf ships.
            >
            > -Outpost does some great little 1/1200 Medieval Cogs. Perfect for Empire
            > and Bretonnian ships, and they make good merchants, too.
            >
            > -Valiant http://www.veltd.net/index.htm , inclusive viking longboats,
            > most of their ships sold in 3-4packs, sea snake
            >
            > -GHQ napeleonic ships, a bit too small for MoW though
            >
            > -Hobby Products, "Empire" line, beautiful ships for Fantasy fleets. A
            > bit smaller than MoW ships but still compatible. I like their Elf ships
            > actually better than the MoW ones.
            > Had Empire, Elf, Dwarf, Goblin ships, unfortunately OOP as company laid
            > off, and therefore difficult to get.
            >
            > -Robert (olishem) here on the list sold some years ago nice resin Undead
            > ships, but I am not sure if he still does.
            >
            > /Holger

          • Mark Schlein
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2010
              Thank you all for your suggestions, I have started on a few scratchies and will post once done.

              I certainly liked the look of the Uncharted Seas 'Dragon Lords' as Elves rather than the twin hulled designs in the original MoW. The sails look more 'elfy'

              --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, "customrobbo" <customrobbo@...> wrote:

              > The Fantasy Fleets ships ARE awesome though!
              >
              > Or, you can convert/ 'scratch build' your own ships from other parts (like my "Chaos Dwarf converted ship" picture in the Photos section).
              > :)
              >

              > --- In theseaofclaws@yahoogroups.com, Holger Daniels <holger.daniels@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi!
              > >
              > > Bill, for fairness sake you might mention that you are one of the owners
              > > of Green Forest trading.
              > >
              > > Some more proxies:
              > > -Langton does 1/1200 ships for ancient, American Civil War, Baltic,
              > > Napoleonic, Anglo-Dutch, Renaissance, and American Great Lakes eras.
              > > They also do lots of 1/1200 terrain items. They are beautifully sculpted
              > > and cast, and their prices reflect that.
              > >
              > > -Navwar does 1/1200 ships for the ancient, Renaissance, Dutch Wars,
              > > Napoleonic, and ACW eras. Many of them work as Empire and Bretonnian
              > > ships, and the ACW Ironclads make good Dwarf ships.
              > >
              > > -Outpost does some great little 1/1200 Medieval Cogs. Perfect for Empire
              > > and Bretonnian ships, and they make good merchants, too.
              > >
              > > -Valiant http://www.veltd.net/index.htm , inclusive viking longboats,
              > > most of their ships sold in 3-4packs, sea snake
              > >
              > > -GHQ napeleonic ships, a bit too small for MoW though
              > >
              > > -Hobby Products, "Empire" line, beautiful ships for Fantasy fleets. A
              > > bit smaller than MoW ships but still compatible. I like their Elf ships
              > > actually better than the MoW ones.
              > > Had Empire, Elf, Dwarf, Goblin ships, unfortunately OOP as company laid
              > > off, and therefore difficult to get.
              > >
              > > -Robert (olishem) here on the list sold some years ago nice resin Undead
              > > ships, but I am not sure if he still does.
              > >
              > > /Holger

            • Bruce
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
                Funny, I think they are the worst things Spartan did :-) I note they seem to be ditching the 'wing' sail with their latest release too.

                The Thaniris Elves are a goodish match for MoW High Elves IMO. Their Frigates are a good size for MoW too, though the rest of the range gets big quick. The sails off these also look good on Eagle and Dragon ships and it's probably cheaper than hunting down proper masts!

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 7, 2010
                  Ok, each to their own I suppose. I thought it fitted with the whole Elf thing of being 'at one with nature' and their association with Dragons seemed to fit too as their sails did resemble the whole dragon wing thing.