Re: Sabonis should start.

  • crazyfanfromidaho
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 24, 2002
      Where are you going to be??? You were out of the country when the
      big announcement came. You are leaving again!?!? Honestly, these
      cosmopolitan webmasters!!! Well, have a great trip!!! :)

      Mark Mason has already said he is brushing up on his Lithuanian. I
      hope he gets to use it for the ........

      "BLAZERS STARTING FIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

      I love hearing those intros!

      I've got lots more to say on this subject, but no time.

      --- In thesabasnetwork@y..., postleos <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > I am so angered that I will be out of the country when the Blazers
      > play their first game meaning I won't get to hear the fans go nuts
      > when he comes into the game/gets introduced!
      >
      > Whats up with that?
      >
      > STuart
      >

      > --- In thesabasnetwork@y..., crazyfanfromidaho <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > > Of course he should start!!!!
      > >
      > > How else am I going to get to hear Mark Mason introduce him in
      > > Lithuanian????
      > >
      > > You probably weren't asking me though, were you?
      > >
      > > --- In thesabasnetwork@y..., postleos <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > My huge bias aside, I think Sabonis should be a starter a la
      the
      > > 2000-
      > > > 2001 season. The man is warmed up, much better defensively and
      > > > offensively than Dale Davis. If his minutes are around 20-24 a
      > > game,
      > > > it should be something like 6 in the first quarter, 4, 4, 6...
      > > >
      > > > what do you think?
      > > >
      > > > STuart
    • crazyfanfromidaho
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 27, 2002
        OK...I'm back and I want to talk about this subject.

        As I said previously, naturally I want Sabas to start. What I wonder
        is:

        Does Sabas want to start?

        He publicly stated that one of the reasons he didn't sign with
        Unicaja Malaga was that he didn't want to have to carry the team. He
        knew if he returned to the Blazers, they would have other offensive
        (and defensive) options. He could play, but not bear the burden of
        the entire season's results on his shoulders.

        I agree that Sabonis plays the pivot better than Dale Davis. That
        said, though, I like Dale's hustle on those offensive rebounds.
        That's one area where DD outdoes Sabonis. Although I would rather
        have Sabonis play 48 MPG, I know that's not possible. I never
        cringed when DD came in for Sabas--as I sometimes did when Kemp was
        subbed in.

        Evidently Sabonis' contract guarantees him 20 MPG. So the question
        is how to divide it. Stuart, your breakdown of 6/4/4/6 seems a bit
        chopped up. It seems perhaps more likely that he would sit out
        completely one quarter and play more in the others. If he starts, I
        can see him playing 8/0/2/10 or something like that. If he comes off
        the bench, then maybe 2/10/0/8 or so. I don't know.

        I've heard that Sabonis needs to play fairly near the starts of games
        because his muscles cool down sitting on the bench and then he is
        prone to injury. Makes sense, but I am not sure exactly how much
        that will determine whether he starts or not. It would seem that
        starting would be better, but the media seems to be saying that he
        won't be starting. Who knows? Perhaps he will earn it back from DD.

        Another thing to think about is that the Blazers have a ton--not
        quite literally, but close--of centers. Surely they won't keep all
        of them. Or will they???? I am really surprised they signed Dudley
        again. Do you think he is just insurance against injury? Or is he
        trade filler? What happens with the roster will also help determine
        whether Sabonis starts or not--and how often.

        OK...I still have more to say about this, but that's it for now.

        --- In thesabasnetwork@y..., postleos <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > My huge bias aside, I think Sabonis should be a starter a la the
        2000-
        > 2001 season. The man is warmed up, much better defensively and
        > offensively than Dale Davis. If his minutes are around 20-24 a
        game,
        > it should be something like 6 in the first quarter, 4, 4, 6...
        >
        > what do you think?
        >
        > STuart
      • postleos
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 28, 2002
          He should start, it takes much longer to warm up for Sabonis than
          does anyone else... Janis, you are correct about DD grabbing the
          offensive boards, this is something I have noticed too. The 6/4/4/6
          scenario wouldn't be that bad, I was thinking that he would start the
          game, play the 6 mins or until foul trouble. Play the last 4-6 of
          the half, rest up. Play the beginning of the third and then play the
          last 6-8 mins of the game. That would be ideal, long enough to stay
          warm and make an impact. 20-24 minutes... the good old days :)

          I am so warm to the season.

          Oh I will be in Australia during the first two weeks of the NBA
          season, so I might be asking a favor of you :) if I can't find decent
          internet access prices there... :P