Torque and Pulley Ratio

  • Mike H
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2013
      I am starting out with a 20 tooth timing pulley going to a 120 tooth timing pulley and then adding another stage giving me a ratio of 36:1 total if I have this correct. What happens with the torque if I started out with 40 in-oz. would I end up with 1440 in-0z? I know it would not be 100 percent efficent.

      Mike Hoblinski
    • Dean Schrickel
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2013
        Torque time speed in radians/second is power. Yes you would increase your torque at the expense of speed. Yes there would be mechanical losses too.

        Dean Schrickel,P.E.

        To: theroboticsclub@yahoogroups.com
        From: hobergenix@...
        Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 07:03:42 +0000
        Subject: [The Robotics Club] Torque and Pulley Ratio

        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2013
          Hi Dean

          Am I correct if I have say a 6 to 1 reduction and constant speed and torque would I see the torque increase 6 times. If say I have 40 in-Oz to start would I see 240 in-oz on the output shaft.

          Mike Hoblinski

          --- In theroboticsclub@yahoogroups.com, Dean Schrickel <englewood1@...> wrote:

          > Torque time speed in radians/second is power. Yes you would increase your torque at the expense of speed. Yes there would be mechanical losses too.
          >
          > Dean Schrickel,P.E.
          >
          > To: theroboticsclub@yahoogroups.com
          > From: hobergenix@...
          > Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 07:03:42 +0000
          > Subject: [The Robotics Club] Torque and Pulley Ratio

          > I am starting out with a 20 tooth timing pulley going to a 120 tooth timing pulley and then adding another stage giving me a ratio of 36:1 total if I have this correct. What happens with the torque if I started out with 40 in-oz. would I end up with 1440 in-0z? I know it would not be 100 percent efficent.
          >

          > Mike Hoblinski

        • Dean Schrickel
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2013
            Minus loses, but yes you are correct.