controlling motors

  • adventrman99@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 26, 2012
      Hi everyone, I'm new to all of this. I come to it from an odd direction. I have been given an invacare tdx wheel chair which I have striped down to the chasis and motors. It had 3 linear actuators on it for paraplegics. It was given to me because they could get it to do nothing. I very carefully disassembled it and found points of corosion no one would find without total disassembly. I charged the batteries, put the power inverter back on and plugged the joystick controller into the inverter and it lit up and and it says there is a short in the controller. The controllers are nearly $200 to replace. and frankly I don't need all the fancy capabilities of the controller, I just wonder if there is some other type of joy stick that might work. All i need is to be able to turn it on and make it go. Or find someone to fix the controller, which I have tried with no success. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Al
    • JustinR
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 27, 2012
        Hi Al,

        Are you looking to turn this into a robot or something to ride on? The reason why I ask is I can think of different approaches based on what you are looking todo.

        The motors are 24 volt, correct? It has 2 22NF 12 batteries, right? Those are heavy duty. If you must replace the controller I would suggest you take a look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2oVG7eC2HM It shows the building and testing a of JayCar motor controller: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5502 Just under $40 (you'd need two) that would be the most affordable option I could suggest.

        Given that you were able to clean the unit up and get it to at least come on and tell you what it detects is wrong can you further clean the connectors and check them for shorts? I've fixed similar problems and everytime I thought I got all the dirt and corrosion I was proven wrong when I reconnected everything.

        Also for a replacement control have you checked Ebay? I took a quick look and spoted several from the manufacture for $99.00..but those may not be the same model as yours. You'd want to check the model and part number on the controller unit.

        -Justin R.

        --- In theroboticsclub@yahoogroups.com, adventrman99@... wrote:

        > Hi everyone, I'm new to all of this. I come to it from an odd direction. I have been given an invacare tdx wheel chair which I have striped down to the chasis and motors. It had 3 linear actuators on it for paraplegics. It was given to me because they could get it to do nothing. I very carefully disassembled it and found points of corosion no one would find without total disassembly. I charged the batteries, put the power inverter back on and plugged the joystick controller into the inverter and it lit up and and it says there is a short in the controller. The controllers are nearly $200 to replace. and frankly I don't need all the fancy capabilities of the controller, I just wonder if there is some other type of joy stick that might work. All i need is to be able to turn it on and make it go. Or find someone to fix the controller, which I have tried with no success. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Al

      • Dean Schrickel
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 28, 2012
          If it has an inverter then the motors must be AC. AC motors are simpler to construct. Check the input voltage to the motors and verify this.

          Dean Schrickel,P.E.

          To: theroboticsclub@yahoogroups.com
          From: adventrman99@...
          Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 20:03:41 +0000
          Subject: [The Robotics Club] controlling motors

[...]

        • William
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 29, 2012
            Well first of all there is no inverter on a power wheelchair.
            What Al is talking about is the control box, it consist of a microcontroller and the motor driver.
            Power wheelchair has 2 - 12 volt batteries hooked in series for a 24 volt system.
            William Oliver