Android

  • sulla1234
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2002
      Well while I am waiting on UPS to bring my ER1 I started working on
      another project I am going to use the great software cababilities to
      control, an android. Well at least the head. The Mini SSC will
      control the servos so the head can move. And of course it will have
      the camera, mic etc in the head. You can the fiberglass mask that I
      have already painted and aged in the folder (Albums | Photo Albums
      > All Patricks Robots) in the photos section. Now I just need to
      build the aluminum skeleton for it.

      Albums | Photo Albums > All Patricks Robots
    • dave_l_p
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 4, 2002
        Looks pretty good Patrick.. What did you use to begin the shape of
        the head? What kind of steps did you go through to mold the
        fiberglass? Or was this a mask you already had from something?

        --- In theroboticsclub@y..., "sulla1234" <webmaster@t...> wrote:
        > Well while I am waiting on UPS to bring my ER1 I started working on
        > another project I am going to use the great software cababilities
        > control, an android. Well at least the head. The Mini SSC will
        > control the servos so the head can move. And of course it will have
        > the camera, mic etc in the head. You can the fiberglass mask that I
        > have already painted and aged in the folder (Albums | Photo Albums
        > > All Patricks Robots) in the photos section. Now I just need to
        > build the aluminum skeleton for it.
        >

        > Albums | Photo Albums > All Patricks Robots
      • Bob Mottram
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 4, 2002
          Good Job! I wish I could do something like that, but I'd add more
          moving parts to the face. Roger Moore eyebrows and a jaw.

          - Bob

          --- In theroboticsclub@y..., dave_l_p <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Looks pretty good Patrick.. What did you use to begin the shape of
          > the head? What kind of steps did you go through to mold the
          > fiberglass? Or was this a mask you already had from something?
          >
          > --- In theroboticsclub@y..., "sulla1234" <webmaster@t...> wrote:
          > > Well while I am waiting on UPS to bring my ER1 I started working
          on
          > > another project I am going to use the great software
          cababilities
          > > control, an android. Well at least the head. The Mini SSC will
          > > control the servos so the head can move. And of course it will
          have
          > > the camera, mic etc in the head. You can the fiberglass mask
          that I
          > > have already painted and aged in the folder (Albums | Photo
          Albums
          > > > All Patricks Robots) in the photos section. Now I just need to
          > > build the aluminum skeleton for it.
          > >

          > > Albums | Photo Albums > All Patricks Robots
        • harrywlewis
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 4, 2002
            Patrick,

            I don't believe the Mini SSC II is a "ramping" type servo controller.
            What that means on an android is the servo controller only helps your
            program while a servo is stopped. It will continue to provide refresh
            pulses to the non moving servos.

            Any movement loaded into the controller happens instantly. Usually
            that isn't what is wanted. Most of the time you want to move slowly
            (less than full servo speed) to a new position. That means you have
            to recalculate all the intermediate points and keep sending the
            updates to the moving servo(s).

            A "ramping" type servo controller will allow you to slowly get to a
            new position from where the servo is currently. Ramp speeds usually
            vary over a range from pretty slow to full speed.

            I cover a lot of this on my website (www.bluebelldesign.com) if you
            want to read more. Go to the beginner pages then to servos. (I will
            be renaming those pages soon because the information goes way beyond
            beginners.) Our Co-Processor is a "ramping" type servo controller
            plus a lot more. You'll see an example of an animatronic head
            (Herbert) on the site too. Herbert (from the N&V article) used our
            controller board which has the Co-Processor on it.

            Ours isn't the only ramping servo controller available, but, of
            course, I consider it the best. If you aren't using a Stamp it still
            shouldn't be an issue as the Co-Processor is interfaced by serial
            port and optionally 1 processor Input line.

            Harry
            Stamp Robotics to the next level
            www.bluebelldesign.com

            --- In theroboticsclub@y..., "sulla1234" <webmaster@t...> wrote:
            > Well while I am waiting on UPS to bring my ER1 I started working on
            > another project I am going to use the great software cababilities
            > control, an android. Well at least the head. The Mini SSC will
            > control the servos so the head can move. And of course it will have
            > the camera, mic etc in the head. You can the fiberglass mask that I
            > have already painted and aged in the folder (Albums | Photo Albums
            > > All Patricks Robots) in the photos section. Now I just need to
            > build the aluminum skeleton for it.
            >

            > Albums | Photo Albums > All Patricks Robots
          • dan michaels
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 4, 2002
              --- In theroboticsclub@y..., harrywlewis <no_reply@y...> wrote:

              > Ours isn't the only ramping servo controller available, but, of
              > course, I consider it the best. If you aren't using a Stamp it
              still > shouldn't be an issue as the Co-Processor is interfaced by
              serial > port and optionally 1 processor Input line.

              > Harry
              > Stamp Robotics to the next level
              > www.bluebelldesign.com

              Of course, Harry, I think my ramping servo controller is the best
              one, but ..... what are you gonna do? :)

              http://www.oricomtech.com/svo-cc.htm

              - dan michaels
              ========================
            • sulla1234
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 4, 2002
                On this one I started from a cheap plastic party mask. I made a
                backing out of plaster then coated the inside of the mask with wax.
                Then cast it in fiberglass. I plan on molding a new one in oil based
                clay and making the mold and casting it in fiberglass after I get
                done making the head for the robotic dog I am working on using the
                same process.

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 4, 2002
                  --- In theroboticsclub@y..., "Bob Mottram" <fuzzgun@b...> wrote:

                  > Good Job! I wish I could do something like that, but I'd add more
                  > moving parts to the face. Roger Moore eyebrows and a jaw.
                  >
                  > - Bob

                  This one is just something to work on while I am getting the ER-1
                  software to control my servo controller. I would like to do
                  something like Leonardo
                  http://robotic.media.mit.edu/projects/Leonardo/Leo-intro.html when I
                  get more experance.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 4, 2002
                    I will have to start doing some research on ramping controllers.
                    Really all I am doing now is using the head to figure out the code
                    to interface the ER-1 software with a servo controller. They have a
                    new SDK for Python to help expand the uses of the ER-1 software.
                    Before I go to far I will make sure I make the best choice on a
                    servo controller. Thanks for the help and advice.

                    Patrick Lawrence

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 5, 2002
                      Dan,

                      You asked "what are you gonna do?" - I'm going to recommend that
                      Patrick

                      1. Think about his end goal for the animatronic head,

                      2. Think about the control requirements for #1.

                      3. Read and understand the material on BOTH our sites regarding what
                      our Co-Processors can do and even - I hate to say this 8^) - maybe
                      even other sites too.

                      4. Decide the best match for his project.

                      5. Buy mine!!!! OK, OK, buy the one he decided in #4 as best.

                      Clearly there is more than one way to build a robotic Co-Processor.
                      Obviously we were thinking different things when coming up with the
                      features for our respective products. I can think of applications
                      where yours is better, others where mine is better, even places where
                      using both together would be a reasonable solution. The buyer needs
                      to decide for each particular project to be done which is the best
                      fit.

                      Could you put a schematic of your pcb on your site? I couldn't find
                      it and it sounds like it would be good board for my Co-Processor too.

                      --- In theroboticsclub@y..., "dan michaels" <dan@o...> wrote:
                      > --- In theroboticsclub@y..., harrywlewis <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                      > > Ours isn't the only ramping servo controller available, but, of
                      > > course, I consider it the best. If you aren't using a Stamp it
                      > still > shouldn't be an issue as the Co-Processor is interfaced by
                      > serial > port and optionally 1 processor Input line.
                      > >
                      > > Harry
                      > > Stamp Robotics to the next level
                      > > www.bluebelldesign.com
                      > >

                      > Of course, Harry, I think my ramping servo controller is the best
                      > one, but ..... what are you gonna do? :)
                      >
                      > http://www.oricomtech.com/svo-cc.htm
                      >

                      > - dan michaels
                      > ========================
                    • dan michaels
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 5, 2002
                        --- In theroboticsclub@y..., harrywlewis <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > Dan,
                        >
                        > You asked "what are you gonna do?"

                        By this, I was referring to ---> support your own product, of
                        course. ;-)
                        ================

                        > Could you put a schematic of your pcb on your site? I couldn't find
                        > it and it sounds like it would be good board for my Co-Processor
                        too.

                        > Harry
                        > Stamp Robotics to the next level
                        > www.bluebelldesign.com

                        Nuts, I can't really get a schematic in proper format for electronic
                        publication. If you look at the info on the plain SBOT28 board,
                        however, you'll see it's a very "generic" layout - nothing unusual:

                        http://www.oricomtech.com/sub2/sbot28p2.htm

                        1A v.reg with brownout RC ckt. I2C serial EEPROM on RC3/4 also
                        RC3/4/5 going to the external header. Place for normal xtal and X2
                        for real-time clock on RC0/1 if you want it. Lots of proto area for a
                        small board. 3-pin headers and some extra filtering to interface
                        servos. Most cpu pins are brought to the right side of the proto
                        area. To wire servos, you insert small series R's straight across as
                        shown here - very quick:

                        http://www.oricomtech.com/sub2/mscc20p2.htm

                        RS-232 to RC6/7. Some people will prefer a MAX232, but I have used
                        the transistor serial port for years, and never had a problem. A
                        major advantage is the transistor port has low quiescent current
                        draw, for low-power apps.

                        I designed the pcb to handle as many different apps as possible -
                        servos, dataloggers, general controllers, room for h-bridges and
                        opamps, etc. I have about 6-10 different projects I am designing with
                        the board, including more servo stuff, an LED display, sound card,
                        etc.

                        I use this card with my walking machine co-processor chip to control
                        my quadruped, Nico.

                        - dan michaels
                        ========================
                      • sulla1234
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 5, 2002
                          What about some of these other servo controllers. I would like to
                          get some informed suggestions:) The main thing I am looking for is
                          for the controller to be easy to interface with the ER-1 software
                          (and "ramping" would be nice now that you mention it). They have a
                          new Python SDK for the ER-1 to help get more control so it looks
                          like thats what I will be using. The phidgets servo controler looks
                          interesting but so do yours and most of the others:)

                          http://www.phidgets.com/
                          http://www.acscontrol.com/Pages/Products/USB/USB_Servo_Controller.htm
                          http://www.ohmark.co.nz/dsc.php
                          http://www.ferrettronics.com/
                          http://www.seetron.com/
                          http://www.havingasoftware.nl/robots/servo/servo.htm
                          http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/7156/articl4.htm
                          http://www.web-hobbies.com/servo8t.html
                          http://www.pololu.com/products/servocontroller/
                          http://sproggy.mp3car.com/servo.html
                          http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200106/16csscnt.htm
                          http://www.colinmackenzie.net/techlib%5Carticles%
                          5CServoController.html
                          http://www.controlanything.com/html/sv16.htm
                          http://www.medonis.com/asc16.html
                          http://www.lynxmotion.com/ssc12.htm
                          http://www.aquila-vision.co.uk/robotics/servo/index.html
                          http://www.pontech.com/products/sv200/index.htm
                          http://www.pontech.com/products/sv200bc/index.htm
                          http://fredm.www.media.mit.edu/people/fredm/papers/mb/
                          ftp://cher.media.mit.edu/pub/contrib/itai/

                        • Wayne Salhany
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 4, 2007
                            > All Patricks Robots) in the photos section. Now I just need to
                            > build the aluminum skeleton for it.
                            >
                            > Albums | Photo Albums > All Patricks Robots

                            Hi, I'm curious if you ever built the aluminum skeleton you mentioned
                            in your earlier message.

                            Also, is anyone else, that you know, selling aluminum skeletons?