Water Gurus?

  • rzufelt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2004
      Hi all, new to the list here, so hope I don't re-ask questions.

      Been thinking about trying to breed some tetras, and have some issues
      with my water.

      I have good RO water if I want it, but not sure what all one has to
      add to give it some buffer capabilities, trace minerals, etc.

      My tap water is really hard.

      Didn't test my tap water directly, and the RO is of very good quality.

      If I mix the RO:tap water 1:1 my

      DS meter = 168ppm
      TH testkit = 170ppm (dH 9.9)
      CH testdit = 100ppm (dH 5.8)
      pH = 7.4

      Then I mixed RO:tap 2:1

      DS meter = 101ppm
      TH testkit = 100 ppm (dH 5.8)
      CH testkit = Not taken
      pH = 7.4

      Obviously, the more I dilute my tap water with RO, the less Disolved
      Solids (hardness), but the pH didn't change at all. I would like to
      have soft water with a pH around 6, but with some pH buffering
      capabilities.

      Any suggestions as to additives for the RO, OR, better yet, good
      info on mixing tap with RO for desired results?

      Thanks,

      Rhett