BIG tanks

  • rover765
    Message 1 of 78 , Jul 25, 1999
      Hey guys i just joined this club. I don'y
      currently own a reef tank but i work at a fish store that
      sells coral ans invertebrates and am looking to learn
      all i can. I have a killer six gallon (eclipse) up at
      the register with live rock, rose coral, all kinds of
      feather worms, and some kind of unidentified live coral
      that came with the rock.. I love to see the look on
      peoples face when they see this tiny salt tank. Any way
      to the main point of the post. What is the most
      efficient way to cycle a big tank?? (100 gall or more) IF
      you add fish slowly and in small amounts would that
      give the ammonia spike you need? Or would the ammonia
      level not be sufficient to establish a proper bio
      filter. I'm wondering in general not just in reference to
    • patchman72
      Message 78 of 78 , Mar 4, 2002
        I recently purchased a Kent 35 Hi-S Maxima water
        filter. It has 3 lower chambers and one on top
        (horizontal). From what I can tell, I don't think I'm using it
        properly? Line one is hooked up to the faucet. The water
        flows from there, into chamber 1 and then 2. 2 then
        goes to the horizontal chamber which has two lines
        out. One waste and the other goes to chamber 3. This
        is where my disbelief is. What is the purpose of
        this waste line? It flows at a good clip, while the
        desired product at the end just trickles? Not only do I
        feel like I'm wasting (no pun intended) water, but
        water that has just been filtered through the first 2
        chambers? I am crazy? It take all day just to fill a 5
        gallon bucket...