Ph level

  • Rick Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2006
      Question for the group,
      I gave my mother a 32 gal tank that I've had for years, set it up &
      got it running. I let the tank stablize for about 6 weeks & got her
      some fish. After about 3 months she had a very nice tank, started to
      get a alge bloom, so I corrected that & everything was fine. About a
      month later one night every fish died. I checked the water & the ph
      was very very high. I purchased a treatment that should have brought
      it down to a proper level, which it did but the water turned a very
      gold/copper color,than in about three days the ph shot back up. Took
      the tank apart, cleaned all plants, gravel,ect ( with no chemicals )
      and let air dry and started the tank. Same thing, even after 6-7 weeks
      the ph would not come down. Did the same thing all over again but this
      time bought all new equipment, plants & gravel. I also took water from
      my house ( I;m on a different well )& started the tank. After 7 weeks
      everything was alright except the ph, which is still very high. Tried
      a couple of hardy fish & they lasted one day. I know my water is
      alright, I have a 70 gal tank & the fish & tank are very healthy. The
      local pet store has no answers so this week we purchased 35 gal of RO
      water and started the tank. If this does not work I don't know what
      else to try. She does not clean it with chemicals, doesnt spray room
      fresheners. The only difference is that they heat with a wood burning
      stove, I don't. I'm sorry for the long post, any help would be greatly
      appreciated. Thanks in advance.

      Rick Johnson