Re: if angrylioness's brother hunts in Louisiana

  • angrylioness
    Message 1 of 15 , May 3, 2002
      I didn't say trapping was "illegal" in my parish, I said it isn't
      allowed. Neither is most hunting [squirrel and rabbit are about
      it]. There just simply IS NOT any place to do it, except on ones own
      private property... if they are lucky enough to own a little of what
      woods we have left. This parish is extensively covered by one large
      city and several smaller, but ever growing, towns. Here in LA when
      we grow [they call it progress], we "spread out", not grow upwards,
      like NY. We also have too many rural neighborhoods outside of the
      city/town corp. limits. Hunting and trapping so near to residential,
      or even business, districts would fall under endangerment of the
      safety of others. It has nothing to do with the animals.

      Since there is no place in this parish where a trapper can trap
      WITHOUT being too close to people [and pets], were, pray tell, should
      they set their traps? I am not saying that we don't have any woods
      at all, just not enough.

      --- In therealpeta@y..., gangoror <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > You are either lying or bending things.I found out that ALL
      parishes
      > in LA allow trapping,so you are lying on that right there.You also
      > are not stating the jawspread or amount of time each dog has been
      in
      > the traps and weither the traps were all legally set. You also do
      not
      > comment on the need for trapper's education instead of just acting
      as
      > if all trapping should be banned ,cut and dry.I also believe that a
      > broken bone is rather rare from a dog or any other larger animal
      > caught in a trap. My own stupid cat went wondering and got in one
      of
      > my strong jawed fox traps and I took her to the vet-the xray- NO
      > breaks,no fractures and shes a smaller cat.She doesn't wander
      > anymore.I have caught myself by shear accident in some of my traps
      > while bedding them,it hurt,but didn't break or fracture anything.I
      > have heard other trappers tell me of a wide jawed beaver trap
      firing
      > on their hand and even with that it did not fracture or break
      > anything.Thats is redundant though as the beaver traps must be set
      > fully under water,preferably 5 inches or more.I have examined
      > countless paws now,actually skinned them out and only a few had a
      > break or fracture and was a result of the swivels jamming up.The
      > break was right where the trap jaws gripped and was in the numbing
      > zone,the animal was not in pain for more than 5-10 minutes. I am
      now
      > putting laminations on alot of my traps,this is a wider jaw surface
      > and trapper studies (BMP's and just plain individual trapline
      > experience) show that there is alot less damage to a paw.I have
      used
      > a few already and there were no breaks or fractures,not even any
      skin
      > cuts.
      >
      > --- In therealpeta@y..., angrylioness <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > Tell that to the hunters who have already paid hundreds in
      > veterinary
      > > expenses for dogs with broken bones and gashes. I am sure they
      > would
      > > beg to differ with you. Tell it to the hunters who have,
      > themselves,
      > > gotten caught. If it weren't for their boots and hunting duds,
      > they
      > > would have gotten more than just a good bruising.
      > >

      > > --- In therealpeta@y..., gangoror <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > > Those hunters are all ignorant of traps,the traps will not hurt
      > > their
      > > > dogs,
    • angrylioness
      Message 2 of 15 , May 3, 2002
        P.S. About the hunters dogs, types of traps, trappers ed.,
        legally/illegally set, etc...

        Am I there? I live in a totally different state and I don't make it
        my business to investigate the situations between the hunters and
        trappers where my brother lives. I have told you what my brother has
        told me, exactly. Where he is, hunters are FAVORED OVER trappers ALL
        the time, without exception. It is not a matter of whether it is
        legal or illegal, but rather who's side the law chooses to be on and
        they choose the hunters. The hunters may or may not be in the wrong,
        the point is they do it and they get away with it and I applaud them.

        And concerning injuries to the dogs, I am apt to believe the words
        [and vet records] of a hundred hunters over yours. IF your cat
        escaped injury after being caught in a fox trap, then she is lucky.
        But, for all I know, considering the effort you put into trying to
        prove traps are "harmless", YOU could very well be lying to me.

      • angrylioness
        Message 3 of 15 , May 3, 2002
          I have seen some of these traps. Some were too small for a human
          foot, some were large enough to snap down securely on an average
          sized mans foot, in a boot. And I suppose if the hunters had "seen"
          the traps, they and their dogs would not have gotten snagged, now
          would they?

          --- In therealpeta@y..., "fishmax2" <fishmax2@y...> wrote:
          > I have been qutie for awhile now, but this post does it lol. I have
          > hunted my whole life and a lot of it on public land where its legal
          > to trap. This is about 6 years. Now, first and foremost, I have
          never
          > seen a trap or old set while hunting in my life, except ones i
          made.
          > Second of all, you mentioned there boots? What the hell? I honest
          > god have two of the biggest traps in production with a 7 1/2 inch
          > jawspread which are legal, and step on them to set them off when i
          > pull them, they just arent BIG ENOUGH to cover your shoe/BOOT. I
          > believe you are just making this info up, have you ever seen these
          > traps anyway, or set one, or set one off on your finger? The
          average
          > coon trap wont even hurt you bad. They just sting for a few minutes
          > then your fine. Also these big ones, they pose no threat to human
          > life, yes they can possibly break a finger, but usually not even
          > that. Jeez. Thats all I am saying for now.
          >
          > Steve
          >
          > > > Tell that to the hunters who have already paid hundreds in
          > > veterinary
          > > > expenses for dogs with broken bones and gashes. I am sure they
          > > would
          > > > beg to differ with you. Tell it to the hunters who have,
          > > themselves,
          > > > gotten caught. If it weren't for their boots and hunting duds,
          > > they
          > > > would have gotten more than just a good bruising.

          > > > their
        • gangoror
          Message 4 of 15 , May 3, 2002
            As I thought you live in an urbanized area,says enough...

          • gangoror
            Message 5 of 15 , May 3, 2002
              Have you actually inspected all these vet records? Again,how many
              were large jawed or illegally set and/or not daily tended traps? And
              the way you go on,this place has traps just laying around literally
              everywhere. And what state is your brother in BTW?

            • gangoror
              Message 6 of 15 , May 3, 2002
                Boy they would have to try pretty hard to get the trap on their
                boot,or are these dwarf hunters? Maybe leprechauns going hunting?The
                traps are set horizontally and we step downward.The trap would fire
                under the boot and throw the foot out.Heck coons do this on my
                trapline with their big hind feet,the trap fires and the foot is
                thrown out.Coon tracks and an empty trap tell you who was there and
                what was going on. Coons sometimes waddle in on their hind feet to
                investigate the lure or bait.

                And any dog freshly caught in a trap can be freed just as fast and
                continue trailing,flushing or retrieving,or are these hunters using
                toy breeds? The only time I could see an injury would be a large
                coyote trap( 6 1/2 inch jaw spread max) and a beagle. But if you eat
                beef or lamb,you support coyote trapping,so I hope you don't eat
                either.Hunters also hate coyotes in general because they eat deer and
                other game.

              • nanookadenord
                Message 7 of 15 , May 3, 2002
                  So you have something against urbanized areas? I have lived in a
                  urban setting all my life, yet I hunt and fish! Please don't lump
                  all urbanites in that category as we are not all the same or think
                  the same!

                • angrylioness
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 3, 2002
                    I live in a city. But out of a family of 7, (plus our [many] kids
                    and grandkids), my dad, my sisters 5 children and 3 grandchildren
                    [not my sister, herself], and myself and my son are the ONLY ones
                    that live in a city. I am from a family of back country folks in the
                    hills and woods of north LA. And you are generalizing city folks by
                    saying "says enough". Where a person lives does not necessarily have
                    anything to do with the knowledge they possess.

                  • angrylioness
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 3, 2002
                      What part of "Am I there?" as in "I am NOT there!" did you not
                      understand. I trust my brother, implicitly, though. He doesn't tell
                      tales. It doesn't matter what state he is in, trapping IS LEGAL,
                      just in his area, hunters get their way, hands down. Live with it!
                      I will not give you any hints as to his location. People like you
                      are as bad as PeTA - deliberate troublemakers.