trap mutilations?

  • gangoror
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 9:50 AM
      Angrylioness please detail exactly what you have seen.Was it raccoons
      having chewed a few toes off a numbed foot under the trap jaws? Mink
      with a broken leg,what? Coyotes in snares with a "waterhead"? Now I
      do not like the waterhead,there are locks on snares to kill a coyote
      quickly or the trapper can set up for live hold which does not hurt
      the animal.Again,it comes down to trappers education,which is
      lacking.I had to deal with some idiot trapping near where I was this
      last year.If I can find out who it was I will gladly educate
      them.What I saw and heard made me very angry and such does not happen
      on MY trapline. I had a raccoon missing a paw with the other paw in
      my trap and the coon did not chew it at all ( I used a small
      trap).The other paw was freshly chewed off.I think some dolt had set
      a trap and forgot to check it and Mr coon chewed out and ran off
      only to hit my trap which was set as a blind bankside trail set.The
      other thing I saw was a coon that had been in a trap and was
      obviosly released.He too had chewed some toes off and it was almost
      fully healed.He stepped into another blind set of mine.I was trapping
      this stream as it was near this old house and the people had coons
      living under the porch and fighting with the cats they had.The cats
      were cats people had dumped off and these people had them fixed and
      vaccinated,but still left them outside perhaps becuase they were semi
      feral( beileve me no one likes spraying in the house-even fixed cats
      spray).A raccoon tore off part of the ear of one cat and these people
      decided they had enough.So when season came in I went over there and
      trapped the stream nearby which was full of coon sign.

      The last thing was hearsay.During deer gun season I stopped trapping
      and on one farm I trap, one of the deer hunters saw a fox running
      around with a trap on its paw.Some idiot ( same one probably,both
      locations are near eachother) did not stake the trap properly.They
      probably had chickens missing and got pissed,but did not properly
      learn how to place a trap due to so few trappers to ask in the first
      place ( note-trappers education needed). I did not catch that fox
      later when deer season ended and I went back and reset my traps.I did
      get a fox flipping my traps up though,but I saw it one day near my
      sets and it was walking normally.