Trapping Conversation

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2002
      Scientific studies have shown that other animals have as much
      capacity to feel pain as humans. However, animals are more "stoic"
      about it (which means they don't show it) because in nature, the
      weak, injured animal becomes the target. Animals have learned to hide
      their illness and pain very well because they do not want to be
      lunch. This makes it very difficult for wildlife and zoo
      veterinarians to diagnose illness because wild animals are very good
      at this defense mechanism.

      Regarding the comment that you think the bobcats' paws were not
      injured very much because you were unable to see any damage ...
      that's simply ridiculous. Number one, you are not a trained
      pathologist, so you are not qualified to judge from exterior
      appearances whether there was any damage. Number two, if exterior
      appearances were all that were needed to diagnose injury, we could
      save a hell of a lot of money on radiology equipment. Next time I
      have a lame horse or dog come in to the clinic, I'll just call you to
      come over and compare it to the animal's other legs and then tell the
      owners that there is NO INJURY because it LOOKS THE SAME. I'm sure
      they'd be regular clients of mine for the rest of my life. Ha ha. Oh,
      and when you were "examining" these animals, weren't they already
      dead? Do you think that signs of injury, including tissue swelling,
      redness and heat are going to be present in an animal long dead?
      Here's a hint: they WON'T.

      And I'd also like to address your use of "sticks" in trying to
      determine whether a trap would break a bone. If you would examine a
      stick and a bone, you'll see that their substance and structure is
      COMPLETELY different. Sticks are made of CELLULOSE arranged into long
      fibers that are closely adhered to one another. Bones are made of
      MINERALIZED CARTILAGE that is arranged into a matrix and is
      constantly being remodeled by the cells within the matrix. Bone is
      much more brittle and likely to break than a stick. Therefore, your
      comparing a stick to a bone of the same size is completely ridiculous.

      You can use all of these little idiotic mechanisms to make yourself
      think that you are not hurting the animals if you want, but the
      bottom line is, YOU ARE. We have cases come in to the clinic all the
      time ... dogs and cats that have been caught in foothold traps.
      Broken bones is the norm. Infection is common. And self mutilation is
      not rare.