Re: Fowl Debeaking

    Message 1 of 6527 , Feb 28, 2002
      I said that the farmers would say ... "There is a
      reason for it. How else are we supposed to<br>get them
      to stop pecking at each other?"<br><br>You said ...
      "This is the truth and a best management practice
      studied and designed by vets."<br><br>Do you have any
      documentation showing that vets developed this procedure? And
      saying that vets studied and designed it isn't saying
      much. I happen to be in vet school and some of the
      things I've seen and been taught would make just about
      anyone wonder how some vets could say they have the best
      interest of the animals at
      weren't keeping them in such confined conditions, it
      wouldn't be an issue."<br><br>You said "This is either an
      outright lie or a statement by someone that has never been
      around chickens or turkeys in any
      environment."<br><br>Are you saying that it is not true that the close
      confinement is what causes the pecking? If this is the case,
      why haven't we ALWAYS had to debeak the chickens that
      we raise? It was never an issue until the
      confinement operations came about.
      Message 6527 of 6527 , Mar 23, 2002
        Ok, I'm sorry ... I just don't see what it is that this HSUS person
        said that is so stupid. The only part of your posting that deals with
        what she said is:

        "Sandy Rowland of HSUS said that best in show trophies, plaques or
        ribbons can be evidence of dog fighting, and that police should be on
        the lookout for dogs with scars, treadmills, springpoles, medications
        and medical equipment, and books or magazines dealing with dog
        fighting,"

        Evidently, in this person's experience, these things have been found in
        connection with people and dogs involved in dog fighting. It seems to
        me that she is trying to help police bust dog-fighting rings, which, in
        my book, is admirable.

        Do you have any idea what her background is or how much experience she
        has at busting dog-fighting rings? I would be glad to contact her
        personally, and find out. I think it would be nice if you found out
        exactly what qualifications and experience a person has before you call
        them an "idiot."

        You mentioned that you do rescue. Do you have also have experience in
        busting dog-fighting rings? And, if so, what have you found to be
        indications that a person is involved in dog fighting?

        The HSUS employs over 100 people, many of whom have advanced educations
        and years of experience working with and for the cause of animals. For
        you to make sweeping statements regarding their intelligence levels is
        ridiculous.