Re: WE EVOLVED AS MEAT EATERS

  • fffffed
    Message 1 of 6527 , Jun 3, 2001
      I eat meat now, but very little. I am willing to
      hunt kill and fish for my own meat, which surprisingly
      few meat eaters will do. Squeamish? Hell, what do you
      think the chicken is. I was a vegan for many years,
      before it was popular, but largely for the reasons I
      routinely espouse: meat eating is exremely harmful to the
      environment, destroys resources and leads to a depletion of
      available food reserves for everyone. We live on a planet
      with, as far as our meager life spans are concerned,
      plenty of renewable resources. People who live in first
      world countries whine about the overpopulated third
      world, but it should be the other way around, we're
      stealing the future for 100 Indians or 20
      Brazillians.<br><br>Probably humans have always been somewhat omnivorous.
      However, remember that there are tribes of humans today
      that survive almost entirely on meat, but none that
      live almost entirely off of vegetable matter without
      much more dire health consequences.<br><br>fffffed
      Message 6527 of 6527 , Mar 23, 2002
        Ok, I'm sorry ... I just don't see what it is that this HSUS person
        said that is so stupid. The only part of your posting that deals with
        what she said is:

        "Sandy Rowland of HSUS said that best in show trophies, plaques or
        ribbons can be evidence of dog fighting, and that police should be on
        the lookout for dogs with scars, treadmills, springpoles, medications
        and medical equipment, and books or magazines dealing with dog
        fighting,"

        Evidently, in this person's experience, these things have been found in
        connection with people and dogs involved in dog fighting. It seems to
        me that she is trying to help police bust dog-fighting rings, which, in
        my book, is admirable.

        Do you have any idea what her background is or how much experience she
        has at busting dog-fighting rings? I would be glad to contact her
        personally, and find out. I think it would be nice if you found out
        exactly what qualifications and experience a person has before you call
        them an "idiot."

        You mentioned that you do rescue. Do you have also have experience in
        busting dog-fighting rings? And, if so, what have you found to be
        indications that a person is involved in dog fighting?

        The HSUS employs over 100 people, many of whom have advanced educations
        and years of experience working with and for the cause of animals. For
        you to make sweeping statements regarding their intelligence levels is
        ridiculous.