Re: Hoof and mouth disease...

  • vegancharm
    Message 1 of 6527 , Apr 6 2:08 PM
      Hi,<br><br>I don't know if people have mentioned
      this already on this list. But HMD only has a fatality
      rate of 3-5 % according to an <br>interview I heard
      with the Guardian newpaper on NPR. Most people,
      including an increasing amount of europeans & <br>even my
      parents! Are bothered by the the idea of killing a million
      plus animals simply becuase they are economically
      of the oldest "agricluture" disease around.
      Pratically biblical. <br>Animal welfare people beleive that
      if anything good comes out if this horrible
      experience its the public awareness that <br>factory farming
      does cause unnesseary harm on animals. Some would even
      dare to say that at least the healthy animals
      and are well on the road to recovery by the time they
      eventually <br>go to slaughter) will have the luxury of a
      quicker death, minus the stress of miles of
      transportation. Any
      Message 6527 of 6527 , Mar 23, 2002
        Ok, I'm sorry ... I just don't see what it is that this HSUS person
        said that is so stupid. The only part of your posting that deals with
        what she said is:

        "Sandy Rowland of HSUS said that best in show trophies, plaques or
        ribbons can be evidence of dog fighting, and that police should be on
        the lookout for dogs with scars, treadmills, springpoles, medications
        and medical equipment, and books or magazines dealing with dog
        fighting,"

        Evidently, in this person's experience, these things have been found in
        connection with people and dogs involved in dog fighting. It seems to
        me that she is trying to help police bust dog-fighting rings, which, in
        my book, is admirable.

        Do you have any idea what her background is or how much experience she
        has at busting dog-fighting rings? I would be glad to contact her
        personally, and find out. I think it would be nice if you found out
        exactly what qualifications and experience a person has before you call
        them an "idiot."

        You mentioned that you do rescue. Do you have also have experience in
        busting dog-fighting rings? And, if so, what have you found to be
        indications that a person is involved in dog fighting?

        The HSUS employs over 100 people, many of whom have advanced educations
        and years of experience working with and for the cause of animals. For
        you to make sweeping statements regarding their intelligence levels is
        ridiculous.