Re: Pets.......

  • styoung1987
    Message 1 of 6527 , Feb 7, 2001
      Taxes can be a form of discrimination if directly
      aimed at one specific group.<br>You own a house or
      land.<br>You pay taxes on it for the upkeep of the roads to
      it, the city fire/police dept. to keep you safe, the
      schools to educate your children.<br><br>So, taxation of
      meat would only target those that eat meat to, in your
      suggestion, keep the conservation efforts up. So because I
      cant hunt anymore because it was outlawed, I have to
      pay more to eat meat when I was willing to support
      the conservation effort by paying taxes for hunting
      supplies and my hunting license?<br>I dont think you will
      get the American public to swallow that one. I know I
      dont.<br>I know for a fact that Vegans are a minority in the
      U.S. Just drive down your local town and count how
      many Vegan restaurants there are and compare them to
      the "meat eaters" establishments.<br><br>You stated
      that the government has acknowledged that it was wrong
      to eradicate predators across the U.S. I believe
      this is due to the "political correctness" sickness
      that is running thru the U.S. Why is it that there are
      cougars living around downtown Los Angeles, everybody
      loves them, until they chomp on some kid?<br>Then,
      everyone "wants something done" to fix the cougar
      nature take its course. Others in this club have stated
      that it would be much better to let mother nature take
      care of the populations of animals. Then isnt nature
      taking care of them by letting them over graze an
      area?<br>Which leads to starvation and the foliage being on the
      endangered species list?<br>By the way, how did a PLANT ever
      make it on the endangered species list? That one I
      dont understand. The earth has been letting plants and
      animals both die off again and again, but us arrogant
      humans think we should "save" everything.<br><br>I look
      forward to you reply. Good posts so far and a good
      debate. Dont you think? :-)
      Message 6527 of 6527 , Mar 23, 2002
        Ok, I'm sorry ... I just don't see what it is that this HSUS person
        said that is so stupid. The only part of your posting that deals with
        what she said is:

        "Sandy Rowland of HSUS said that best in show trophies, plaques or
        ribbons can be evidence of dog fighting, and that police should be on
        the lookout for dogs with scars, treadmills, springpoles, medications
        and medical equipment, and books or magazines dealing with dog
        fighting,"

        Evidently, in this person's experience, these things have been found in
        connection with people and dogs involved in dog fighting. It seems to
        me that she is trying to help police bust dog-fighting rings, which, in
        my book, is admirable.

        Do you have any idea what her background is or how much experience she
        has at busting dog-fighting rings? I would be glad to contact her
        personally, and find out. I think it would be nice if you found out
        exactly what qualifications and experience a person has before you call
        them an "idiot."

        You mentioned that you do rescue. Do you have also have experience in
        busting dog-fighting rings? And, if so, what have you found to be
        indications that a person is involved in dog fighting?

        The HSUS employs over 100 people, many of whom have advanced educations
        and years of experience working with and for the cause of animals. For
        you to make sweeping statements regarding their intelligence levels is
        ridiculous.