Re: [The REAL PETA] Bottled Water - An environmental problem.

  • kothakota_13
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2007
      it is the same here, the chemicals used to preserve the so-called
      mineral bottled water are not so healthy.
      prudence

      --- In therealpeta@yahoogroups.com, BEN MILLER <benhmiller@...> wrote:

      > Just seen a news report on this. I use a filtering system in my
      house. City water taste pretty bad after they treat it. Also in
      Califonia they have water stations at almost all supermarkets and in
      some strip malls. Cost is 25 cents a gallon using your own container.
      Reusing gallon gatorade or simalar containers is also a good idea.
      They also said they are making a plastic bottle that breaks down in
      land fills.
      > Ben
      > Ca
      >

      > "[InfoNature.Org] - E-News" <subscritions@...> wrote:
      > GreenTips June 2007
      >
      > Bottled Water - An environmental problem
      >
      > Watch video:
      > http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?
      rn=49750&cl=3289922&ch=61492&src=news

      > Help protect the environment - Boycott bottled water
      >
      > Is Bottled Water Better?
      > June 2007
      > Read this issue of Greentips online
      >
      > Bottled water manufacturers' marketing campaigns capitalize on
      isolated instances of contaminated public drinking water supplies by
      encouraging the perception that their products are purer and safer
      than tap water. But the reality is that tap water is actually held to
      more stringent quality standards than bottled water, and some brands
      of bottled water are just tap water in disguise. What's more, our
      increasing consumption of bottled water-more than 22 gallons per U.S.
      citizen in 2004 according to the Earth Policy Institute-fuels an
      unsustainable industry that takes a heavy toll on the environment.

      > Environmental Impact
      >
      > Fossil fuel consumption. Approximately 1.5 million gallons of oil-
      enough to run 100,000 cars for a whole year-are used to make plastic
      water bottles, while transporting these bottles burns thousands more
      gallons of oil. In addition, the burning of oil and other fossil
      fuels (which are also used to generate the energy that powers the
      manufacturing process) emits global warming pollution into the
      atmosphere.

      > Water consumption. The growth in bottled water production has
      increased water extraction in areas near bottling plants, leading to
      water shortages that affect nearby consumers and farmers. In addition
      to the millions of gallons of water used in the plastic-making
      process, two gallons of water are wasted in the purification process
      for every gallon that goes into the bottles.

      > Waste. Only about 10 percent of water bottles are recycled, leaving
      the rest in landfills where it takes thousands of years for the
      plastic to decompose.

      > The Simple (and Cheaper) Solution
      >
      > The next time you feel thirsty, forgo the bottle and turn to the
      tap. You'll not only lower your environmental impact but also save
      money-bottled water can cost up to 10,000 times more per gallon than
      tap water. And because the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's
      standards for tap water are more stringent than the Food and Drug
      Administration's standards for bottled water, you'll be drinking
      water that is just as safe as, or safer than, bottled.

      > If, however, you don't like the taste of your tap water or are
      unsure of its quality, you can buy a filter pitcher or install an
      inexpensive faucet filter to remove trace chemicals and bacteria. If
      you will be away from home, fill a reusable bottle from your tap and
      refill it along the way; travel bottles with built-in filters are
      also available. Finally, limit your bottled water purchases for those
      times when you're traveling in countries where water quality is
      questionable.

      > Related Links
      >
      > EPA-Ground Water and Drinking Water
      >
      > Earth Policy Institute-Bottled Water: Pouring Resources Down the
      Drain

      > CommonDreams.org
      >
      > Want to have a bigger impact on environmental issues? Add your
      voice to more than 170,000 online activists.

      > Help us develop practical solutions to environmental problems by
      joining UCS or making a donation today.

      > Subscribe to this free monthly newsletter or read past issues in
      the Greentips section of the UCS website.

      > Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this. Tell-a-
      friend!

      > If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for the
      Union of Concerned Scientists.