ORANGUTAN SMUGGLING SCANDAL -Update 31 March

  • Michelle Desilets
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2006
      Dear Friends of the Orangutan,

      Thank you once again for all your ongoing support. I imagine at times it may seem like we are getting nowhere; trust me, you are making a difference.
      Last week, CITES was forced for the first time to make a public statement on their web site acknowledging all the correspondence they have received so far. There remain many questions over CITES' handling of this orang-utan scandal, which so far they failed to answer. If CITES had a clear conscience and nothing to hide, why would they not provide answers? The situation is sufficiently serious for 40 international conservation organisations to support this campaign, along with Sir David Attenborough and Dr Richard Leakey.

      Please do keep e-mailing Secretary General Mr. Willem Wijnstekers and simply ask him this time, "What is CITES trying to conceal regarding these orangutans, and are you concerned at the effect this is having on the reputation of CITES?" cites@...

      You have an opportunity today to persuade a UN organisation to be more transparent, and in doing so, you will be helping not just these orangutans, but all illegally-traded wildlife - a racket second only in size to the international drugs trade. You can make a difference.

      THAILAND. We really need a big and urgent push this weekend with emails to the Minister. Timing is everything on this, so please will you write today and ask the Minister, "Will you please authorise the immediate return of the illegally trade orangutans to Indonesia, where there is a rehabilitation centre waiting to receive them?"

      Mr.Yongyut Tiyapairat
      Minister of Natural Resources
      and Environment thaicabnet@... and copy your email to the Permanent Secretary cict@...

      More next week on Malaysia, Cambodia and Saudi Arabia.

      Besides these emails, a great deal of work is going on around the world and behind the scenes, most of which I am unable to share publicly.... I do hope you will understand.

      Thank you once again for your concern and support. It is appreciated.

      Yours sincerely,

      Michelle Desilets
      Director
      BOS UK
      www.savetheorangutan.org.uk
      www.savetheorangutan.info
      "Primates Helping Primates"

      Please sign our petition to rescue over 100 smuggled orangutans in Thailand:
      http://www.thePetitionSite.com/takeaction/822035733