letters to CEO's re: palm oil and orangutans

  • Michelle Desilets
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2005
      Dear Friends of the Orangutan,

      You may have seen recent news reports about the link
      between palm oil in everyday supermarket products and
      the decline in orangutan populations.

      A consumer pamphlet has been developed by BOS UK,
      which provides photographic evidence and witness
      accounts of the horrific abuse wild orangutans suffer
      when they enter palm-oil plantations in search of
      food.

      Below, please find ready-made letters for you to print
      off, sign and send to the top five UK supermarkets.
      Additional contact details, including email addresses,
      appear below these.

      Our rescue centres are over-flowing with displaced and
      injured wild orangutans, including orphaned infants,
      from areas where their forest habitat is being
      relentlessly cleared and converted into oil-palm
      plantations. The Nyaru Menteng Orangutan
      Reintroduction Project houses more than 380 victims
      alone, with rescue teams operating on a daily basis.
      Meanwhile the centre is under immense pressure to find
      areas of forest where these orangutans can be released
      once they are healthy again. However, with the
      accelerating rate of forest clearance, these animals
      have a dwindling chance of ever being returned to the
      wild.

      The pamphlet and its accompanying website
      (www.SafePalmOil.org) demonstrate how you can make a
      difference, and help save the orangutan from
      extinction.

      “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
      committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is
      the only thing that ever has.” — Margaret Mead

      As always, thank you for your kind support,

      Michelle Desilets
      Director

      Sir Terry Leahy, Chief executive
      Tesco House
      Delamare Road
      Cheshunt
      Hertfordshire EN8 9SL

      Dear Sir Terry,

      It has recently come to my attention that, as a direct
      consequence of my actions as a consumer, the Orangutan
      is in imminent danger of becoming extinct. As a
      regular customer of yours I would like you to help me
      make informed purchase decisions and help prevent this
      wonderful species going into terminal decline.

      Palm oil is used in 1 in 10 of all consumables sold in
      British supermarkets (though it is often labelled as
      vegetable oil). Two of the main areas where it is
      produced are Borneo and Sumatra – the only two islands
      where orangutans still exist in the wild. Rainforests
      are being converted to oil palm plantations at an
      alarming rate, despite the existence of over 25
      million hectares of previously-cleared land In
      Kalimantan (Indonesian Borneo) alone. The rainforest
      targeted for new plantations is the last remaining
      habitat of species such as the Orangutan which, at the
      current rate of population decline, are likely to be
      extinct by the end of this decade. Not only is the
      Orangutan threatened by loss of habitat, but palm oil
      plantation workers are also deliberately killing
      animals when they enter plantations, as they are
      perceived to be a threat to their crops.

      Many hardwood products carry labels that show that
      they have not been sourced from fragile rainforest. In
      a similar way, I would like your company to clearly
      label products containing palm oil sourced from
      plantations that have not involved forest conversion,
      and withdraw palm oil based products that you cannot
      guarantee have come from sustainable sources. I have
      written to all the major British supermarkets and
      think that it would be very good PR for you to be the
      first to take a strong moral stance on this issue.

      I do not believe that your company is aware of the
      role that it is playing in forcing the Orangutan to
      the brink of extinction (this issue has only recently
      come to light) but for further background information
      please see:
      www.palmoil.org.uk
      www.cockroach.org.uk
      www.helenbuckland.co.uk/palm/
      Also please see below some shocking facts that I hope
      will encourage you to take immediate action.

      I look forward to receiving information on your
      company’s policy regarding palm oil. If a policy does
      not already exist, please tell me what steps you will
      be taking to ensure that I can shop in your store safe
      in the knowledge that I am not contributing to wiping
      out yet another species.

      With thanks in advance,

      Killer facts:

      According to the Indonesian Forestry Department the
      Orangutan population in 1990 was 200,000. In the year
      2000 there were only 50,000 Orangutans left. Their
      demise is directly attributable to the encroachment of
      the palm oil plantations on their habitat.

      The Bornean Orangutan Survival Foundation estimates
      that if palm oil concessions continue to replace
      forest at the current rate then within 3 years a
      viable future for the orangutan in the wild will be
      impossible. This means that by 2008, if action is not
      urgently taken, then Orangutans will have reached the
      point of no return.

      Mr Andrew Bond, Chief Executive
      ASDA Plc.
      ASDA House
      Southbank
      Great Wilson Street
      Leeds LS11 5AD

      Dear Mr Bond,

[...]

      Sir Kenneth D Morrison CBE, Executive Chairman
      Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc.
      Thornton Road
      Bradford BD8 9AX

      Dear Sir Kenneth,

[...]

      Mr Justin King, Chief Executive
      Sainsburys Plc.33 Holborn
      London EC1 2HT

      Dear Mr King,

[...]

      Sir Stuart Hampson
      Executive Chairman, Waitrose Plc.
      John Lewis Partnership
      Carlisle Place
      London
      SW1P 1BX

      Dear Sir Stuart,

[...]

      Asda
      Visit www.asda.co.uk and click on 'customer services'
      T: 0500 100 055
      Customer Services,
      ASDA House,
      Southbank,
      Great Wilson Street,
      Leeds,
      LS11 5AD

      Co-op
      E: customer.relations@...
      T: 0800 317 827
      Customer Relations, The Co-operative Group,
      FREEPOST MR 9473, Manchester M4 8BA

      Marks & Spencer
      customer.services@...
      retailcustomer.services@...
      T: 020 7268 1234
      Marks & Spencer Retail Customer Service,
      Chester Business Park, Kings Meadow,
      Wrexham Road, Chester CH4 9GA

      Sainsbury's
      justin.king@...
      Visit www.sainsburys.co.uk and use their e-mail
      facility on the contact us page.
      T: 0800 636 262
      Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd, 33 Holborn,
      London EC1N 2HT

      Somerfield
      E: customer.service@...
      Visit www.somerfield.co.uk and click on 'contact'
      T: 0117 935 6669
      Customer Services, Somerfield Stores Ltd,
      Somerfield House, Whitchurch Lane,
      Bristol BS14 OTJ

      Tesco
      terry.leahy@...
      customer.service@...
      customer.services@...
      T: 0800 505555
      Customer Services, Tesco, FREEPOST SCO2298,
      Baird Avenue, Dundee DD1 9NF

      Tesco PLC
      New Tesco House
      Delamare Road
      Cheshunt
      Hertfordshire
      England
      EN8 9SL

      Waitrose
      E: customer_service@...
      T: 0800 188 884
      Customer Services, Waitrose Ltd,
      Doncastle Road, Southern Industrial Estate,
      Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 8YA

      Wm Morrisons
      Call 01274 356813
      01622 712 987
      01924 870 000
      Customer Services, Morrisons Supermarket,
      Wakefield 41 Industrial Estate,
      Wakefield WF2 OXF

      Booths
      E: cdee@...
      T: 01772 251 701
      Buying director, 4, 5 & 6 Fishergate, Preston PR1 3LJ

      Iceland Foods
      E: via www.iceland.co.uk
      T: 01244 842 842
      Iceland Foods plc, Second Avenue,
      Deeside Industrial Estate, Flintshire CH5 2NW

      Michelle Desilets
      Director
      BOS UK
      www.savetheorangutan.org.uk
      www.savetheorangutan.info
      "Primates Helping Primates"

      Please sign our petition to rescue over 100 smuggled orangutans in Thailand:
      http://www.thePetitionSite.com/takeaction/822035733