TAKE ACTION: Help save Endangered Wildlife

  • [InfoNature.Org] - Email News
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2005
      Help Save Our Endangered Species: Defenders of Wildlife

      MORE INFO: http://www.phpbbforfree.com/forums/infonature-post-484.html#484

      Save our endangered wildlife from extinction:

      a.. Send a fax to your Representative.

      b.. Tell your family and friends.
      TAKE ACTION: http://www.saveesa.org/action.html

      Legislation that would tear apart protections for our endangered wildlife may be on the verge of being introduced by Representative Richard Pombo (R-CA), Chair of the House Resources Committee. Defenders got a hold of the proposed bill, and it is scary.

      In the words of Jamie Rappaport Clark, former Director of the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and now Executive Vice President of Defenders, the draft bill "takes a wrecking ball to the whole Endangered Species Act" by changing its mission, disabling enforcement tools, and providing extensive loopholes for corporate special interests.

      Please take action today to stop this bill in its tracks!

      This is the moment you've helped us prepare for. We've put our allies in Congress on alert, we've started mobilizing grassroots in target districts, we've placed public service announcements to educate Americans about the importance of saving our wildlife, and we've reached out to diverse groups that understand the importance of saving our wolves, sea otters, bald eagles, manatees, and so many more creatures from extinction.

      The time has come for an all-out effort to stop this disastrous bill and protect our wildlife from extinction! You have sustained us this far. We need your help again today. Please send a fax today to tell your Representative that Rep. Richard Pombo's (R-CA) draft legislation is unacceptable:

      Please take action today to stop this bill in its tracks!

      Once you've taken action, we need your help to spread the word. PLEASE pass this on to at least three of your friends!

      How bad is this legislation? It's even worse than we feared. All of the gains we've made since the Endangered Species Act was passed in 1973 are at stake and accelerating extinctions would be certain. We've conducted an analysis of the draft bill prepared by Rep. Richard Pombo (R-CA). Our concerns include:

      . The draft bill abandons the national commitment to bringing declining species back from the brink of extinction and recovering them to the point where they no longer need the Act's protection.

      . It opens a giant loophole that allows legal appeals during every step of the endangered species conservation process. Irresponsible developers, timber and mining interests and other resource exploiters would be able to tie the process into knots and avoid any meaningful implementation and enforcement.

      . It allows federal agencies to ignore their responsibility to protect threatened and endangered species.

      . It includes an onerous "takings" provision which requires the federal government to pay landowners for the costs of complying with the law, a terrible precedent to set with regard to environmental protections.

      . The proposed bill sets the year 2015 as the expiration date for the Endangered Species Act, setting a timetable for ending protection of our endangered species!

      Don't let this happen. Send your representative a fax now at:

      http://www.saveesa.org/action.html

      Remember, the Endangered Species Act in place today has been very successful at preventing the extinction of many magnificent creatures. Since 1973, only 9 out of the 1800 animals protected by the Act have been declared extinct. The Act can be made to work better for all and we are striving to achieve that. Pombo's bill would make it better only for developers at the expense of saving species and our heritage. For more information on the Act and our analysis of the draft legislation, visit http://www.SaveESA.org

      Thank you so much for your caring and support for our wildlife. Together, we are their voice.

      Sincerely,
      Rodger Schlickeisen
      President
      Defenders of Wildlife

      Defenders of Wildlife is a leading national conservation organization recognized as one of the nation's most progressive advocates for wildlife and habitat and known for its effective leadership on saving endangered species such as brown bears and gray wolves. Defenders advocates new approaches to wildlife conservation that protect species before they become endangered. Founded in 1947, Defenders is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization with more than 475,000 members and supporters.
      ┬ęCopyright Defenders of Wildlife 2005