TAKE ACTION on the Defense of Animals.

  • [InfoNature.Org] - Email News
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2005
      IDA E-News: 6-29-05

      Vol. 4, Issue 2 June 29, 2005

      Table of Contents

      1.. International Day for Korean Dogs & Cats
      2.. Stop the Importation of Endangered Species
      3.. Push Senate to End Horse Slaughter
      4.. Ban the Omak Suicide Race
      5.. National Geographic Romanticizes Iditarod Dog Torture
      6.. U.S. Agriculture Dept. Delayed Announcing Second Mad Cow for Months

      1. International Day for Korean Dogs and Cats

      On July 15, 2005, IDA and other animal protection groups will hold worldwide protests to coincide with the first of Korea's "Bok days," which literally means the hot, dog days of summer. South Korea's dog meat consumption increases during this time of year because some superstitiously believe they can keep cool by eating animals that do not sweat. Some Korean men - apparently insecure about their masculinity - even gather in groups to violently beat and hang dogs to death in hopes that consuming the tortured animals' flesh will make them more virile.

      Although consumption of dogs and cats is technically illegal in South Korea, the Government doesn't enforce the law. In fact, they are trying to effectively legalize it by regulating dog meat sanitation, which amounts to endorsement of the torment and killing of millions of dogs and cats. The Government's stamp of approval is particularly indefensible given that the vast majority of Koreans find the consumption of dogs and cats disgusting, and are ashamed that the practice has not yet been banned in their country.

      Demonstrations are being organized in the U.S., Canada, Korea, Ireland, Argentina and other countries. Visit http://idausa.org/campaigns/korea/index.html to see if a demonstration is being organized in your area.

      If there is no event planned for your area, organize a protest at the Korean embassy, consulate, or in a busy area of your city. Contact kristie@... for help organizing, as well as free posters and brochures.

      If you cannot attend an event, write letters to the editor just before July 15th stating that protests are taking place around the world in a day of observance for Korean cats and dogs in opposition to their consumption. Also write to Korean Ambassador Hong Seok-Hyun urging enforcement of laws prohibiting dog and cat torture and slaughter.

      Ambassador Hong Seok-Hyun
      Embassy of the Republic of Korea
      2450 Massachusetts Ave. N.W.
      Washington, DC 20008
      Tel.: (202) 939-5600
      Fax: (202) 797-0595
      E-mail: korinfo@...

      Visit www.idausa.org/campaigns.html for more information.

      2. Stop the Importation of Endangered Species

      Even while species around the world continue to go extinct at an ever-accelerating pace, the Bush Administration wants to roll back the clock on the Endangered Species Act. Proposing a strategy that can only be described as a logical contradiction, Bush says opening up commercial trade in endangered species for the first time in 30 years will promote conservation.

      Opening the trade of endangered animals would be an environmental disaster and a grave violation of animals' rights. The Bush plan will be particularly ineffective as a conservation measure because it specifically endorses the importation of endangered animals and body parts, but includes no standards to verify that any of the money spent on importing them actually goes to conservation. The regulations themselves are so vague that they practically invite fraud and illegal poaching.

      Already, the illegal international trade in wildlife is worth billions of dollars annually. This proposal could reopen the ivory trade in Africa, increase demand for rhino horns, intensify the abduction of baby Asian elephants for circuses and zoos, and increase the importation of endangered wild parrots for the U.S. pet industry. All of this means more profit for those who make money by killing and exploiting animals at the environments' expense.

      Please visit www.care2.com/go/z/25285 to sign a petition urging the Bush administration to rescind this dangerous proposal.

      3. Push Senate to End Horse Slaughter

      The combined voices of animal advocates recently helped convince the U.S. House of Representatives to take steps toward abolishing the slaughter of horses for human consumption. The House passed two important amendments for horses: one that prevents federal tax dollars from being used to slaughter wild horses, and another to stop the flow of both domestic and wild horses to slaughterhouses in the U.S. We now turn our efforts to the Senate, where your help is needed again.
      Senator John Ensign (R-NV), a veterinarian and champion in the fight to stop horse slaughter, will introduce the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act to ban the
      transport, possession, purchase or sale of horses to be slaughtered for human consumption. Last year, more than 90,000 American horses - including thoroughbreds, show horses, mustangs, carriage horses, and family ponies - were either killed in one of three foreign-owned slaughterhouses in the U.S. or shipped to Canada or Mexico for slaughter. These horses do not deserve to be hoisted upside down and painfully bled to death to satisfy the tastes of foreign consumers.

      Please click here to urge your Senators to co-sponsor the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act. Personal phone calls or letters often have the greatest influence on elected officials, so you may also choose to contact your Senators directly. Click http://actioncenter.idausa.org to get their contact information.

      4. Ban the Omak Suicide Race

      Regular e-news readers may recall that in May, we reported on a rodeo that takes place every August in a small Washington town called Omak, which boasts of its main attraction, "The World-Famous Omak Suicide Race." Over a span of four pitch-black nights, riders repeatedly send horses off the edge of "Suicide Hill" with a 120-foot full-galloping start. Next, the horses plunge more than 210 feet down a steep 62-degree angle slope. Racing blindly at breakneck speed, the horses then plunge into the rocky Okanogan River. After a panicked swim of more than a football field in length, the horses face a final, grueling uphill sprint.

      Rather than calling this a suicide race, a more accurate term would be "murder race": Over the last two decades, the ordeal has killed over 20 horses who did not want to die. Additional horses lose their lives during unofficial practice runs, but these deaths are not documented.

      Visit www.paws.org/outreach/campaigns/omak.php to learn more about the Omak Suicide Race and how you can help put a stop to it. Then urge corporate sponsors to withdraw support from the race and ask Washington State officials to ban it before any more horses are killed. Click the link above and scroll down the page to find contact information and sample letters. Major sponsors, such as Wal-Mart and Crown Royal, have already withdrawn their support from the event after learning about its cruelty.

      Other corporations - like Pace Picante Sauce, Coors Beer, and Wrangler - are bound to sponsorship of the Suicide Race through national agreements with the Professional Rodeo Cowboy's Association (PRCA). Please urge the PCRA not to sanction the Suicide Race until Omak Stampede, Inc. agrees to cancel the Suicide Race permanently. Visit www.paws.org/outreach/campaigns/omak_sponsor.php for contact information.

      5. National Geographic Romanticizes Iditarod Dog Torture
      National Geographic has often championed important conservation causes for animals and the environment. Yet the National Geographic Channel recently betrayed this ethic by airing a one-hour special called "Expeditions to the Edge: Iditarod" in May. The show uncritically portrays dog sled racers as great heroes battling for survival in a harsh landscape, and all but ignores the terrible suffering of dogs who are forced to race in sub-zero temperatures.

      The Iditarod is an arduous 1,150 mile race from Anchorage to Nome, Alaska that can take anywhere from nine to fourteen days to complete. In the 29 Iditarod events that have been held, at least 120 dogs have died from various causes, including strangulation in towlines, internal hemorrhaging after being gouged by sleds, liver injury from collision, heart failure and pneumonia. Many dogs who survive sustain broken bones, frostbite and bleeding ulcers.

      Click here to ask the National Geographic Channel to stop airing this film and to produce a documentary that accurately portrays the suffering of sled dogs in the Iditarod. For more information about the Iditarod, visit www.helpsleddogs.org.

      6. U.S. Agriculture Dept. Delayed Announcing Second Mad Cow for Months

      On Friday, June 24th, the U.S. Agriculture Department confirmed the second case of mad cow disease in America, but discovered the infected cow in tests conducted nearly seven months ago. The Agriculture Department says that they didn't report these results because the testing method used was still considered "experimental," and the Agriculture Department's "gold standard" test was done at the same time on the same animal, showing negative results. A laboratory in Weybridge, England that is considered the best in the field recently confirmed that the animal was indeed infected. The discrepancy between results underscores the unreliability of the tests the Agriculture Department has used over the last 15 years in screening cattle for the disease.

      Thirty-six countries have already banned imports of American beef since the first mad cow case was discovered in the U.S. Many other countries have long conducted more stringent screening for mad cow than the Agriculture Department. For example, Europe tests about 25% of cows for the disease, while Japan tests every cow. In contrast, the U.S. Agriculture Department tests one cow in every 90, claiming that application of statistical models will ensure consumer safety.
      The Agriculture Department's withholding of crucial test results has renewed doubts about their ability to protect the public. John Stauber, co-author of the book, "Mad Cow U.S.A.," believes that "the U.S. government is afraid of putting in real food-safety testing because it would certainly find additional cases."

      To read the full story on the announcement of America's second case of mad cow, visit www.nytimes.com/2005/06/26/national/26beef.html?th=&emc=th&pagewanted=print. Note that you must sign up with the New York Times to read the story, but registration is free.

      Join IDA's President's Circle

      Become part of a special group of people who help animals each month.

      This August will mark the historic date 22 years ago when Dr. Elliot Katz and a motivated group of animal advocates came together to stop cruel animal experiments at the UC-Berkeley research laboratories. From this initial call to action through the formation of IDA as a non-profit organization and over these many years, IDA has expanded the circle of caring and compassionate individuals. Our growing numbers have helped us achieve many amazing victories for animals.

      We could not do our vitally important work on behalf of our animal friends if it weren't for the time and financial support that you and our other supporters so generously provide to us.

      We are very grateful for all that we have accomplished together. We are dedicated to continuing our mission to defend the rights, welfare and habitats of animals and we know that we will have many more victories in the coming years thanks to your support!

      Pursuing the promise of continued success, we invite you to join Dr. Katz in a special group of supporters by becoming part of IDA's President's Circle.

      President's Circle members are IDA donors who support our critical efforts to help animals by making a regular monthly contribution. Your monthly gift, along with those of the other President's Circle members, will afford us the resources necessary to act in defense of animals quickly. In addition, your monthly gift will provide a pool of stable funding that Dr. Katz and our staff can count on whenever an emergency need to help animals arises. It will also help us maintain the critical on-going campaigns we carry out in support of our mission.

      The President's Circle makes giving easy. Giving automatically through your credit card each month lets you save time while conserving IDA's resources.

      To find out more and to join the President's Circle, please visit our web site at www.idausa.org/supportf.html and scroll down to the President's Circle section. From there you can click the link to our secure on-line enrollment form at https://secure.ga3.org/02/idadonations.

      Help Someone Kick the Meat Habit with FARM's Meatout Monday Newsletter

      If you know someone who says they'd like to cut meat out of their diet but thinks it's too hard, then tell them about Meatout Mondays, a free weekly e-newsletter designed to help those who don't want to quit "cold turkey" kick the meat habit one day at a time - starting with Mondays! Easy and fun to read, Meatout Mondays encourages individuals to make changes at a pace that is comfortable for them, and is an excellent tool for introducing vegetarianism to anyone.

      Every week, Meatout Mondays includes tasty vegan recipes, new product and book reviews, important health information, and inspirational stories of people who have changed their lives for the better by cutting animal products from their diets. This week's Meatout Mondays includes a report on the cardiovascular benefits of eating nuts. Click www.meatoutmondays.org/05-06-27.htm to read the latest issue.

      Help Make a Difference for the Animals! Donate to IDA!
      Your support is vital to IDA's efforts to protect the rights, welfare and habitats of animals. By making a donation to IDA, you strengthen our ability to end the exploitation and abuse of animals in the jungles of Africa, the dog markets of South Korea, the countryside of rural America, and at the hands of the vivisection, puppy mill, or fur industries.

      You can give a tax-deductible donation directly to IDA with your MasterCard or Visa online by clicking here: https://secure.ga3.org/02/idadonations. If you prefer, you may send your contribution via mail to:

      In Defense of Animals 131 Camino Alto Mill Valley, CA 94941

      You can also make a gift over the phone with your MasterCard or Visa by calling (415) 388-9641.

      If you'd like to find out more about supporting IDA please visit: http://www.idausa.org/supportf.html.

      If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for In Defense of Animals Action Center.