A Beloved Dog’s Christmas

  • Barb
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2004
      A Beloved Dog�s Christmas

      'Twas the day before Christmas when all through our house

      Every creature was stirring, including Pet Mouse

      The stockings were hung by the chimney - my lair -

      Next to my Master's favorite stuffed chair.

      My family was singing and still decorating;

      Three dogs and three cats were anticipating

      A glorious Christmas of new gifts, great treats;

      The cats wanted catnip, the dogs wished for meats.

      Excitement was building throughout the day

      Our people were happy; we all got to play;

      Gift wrapping, baking, smells of turkey and ham

      I felt grateful to be "Home" as the loved dog I am.

      As night came and our warm beds awaited,

      The excitement had built to a pitch unabated;!

      But we all went to bed for a short night of rest,

      Knowing Christmas would bring us only the Best.

      I thought of my "brothers" and "sisters" outside -

      Some starving and freezing with no place to hide;

      No families to love them; no food; some in pain;

      I knew that many would die in the cold and the rain.

      I said a dog prayer for each unwanted stray

      And asked Santa Paws to give them one Special Day

      To let each of them know of real love and sharing,

      A kind human touch and sweet, gentle caring.

      A Light filled the sky and glowed everywhere;

      Someone from above had heard my prayer!

      An angelic Presence came into my view

      And said, "For one day, your wish will come true."

      When I awoke, I heard sounds of great glee

      My folks were all laughing over a stocking for me;

      Kong toys and rawhides, squeak toys and more

      With presents for everyone spread over the floor.

      The ferret, the hamster, the bird and the fish

      Got new ! toys and food, a cage or a dish;

      We got lots of attention and every need met

      And gift certificates for our favorite vet.

      In fact, we had so much, we wanted to share;

      So my folks called a Rescue to check with them there;

      They learned, to the shelter's surprise and delight,

      Every animal's lack had been made all right.

      New beds, bowls of food, and toys everywhere

      Someone must have come and spent the night there;

      The infirm seemed younger; the sick were now well

      And, whatever had happened, no one could tell.

      Without making a sound, with no one in sight,

      A miracle had happened during the night!

      Oh, why can't it be like that every day

      With every pet wanted and no such thing as a stray?

      The Spirit of Christmas is alive in each heart

      Through Loving and Giving we can all impart

      The Christmas Spirit every day of the year

      And make Miracles happen, like the one told of here.

      Crosspost at will