Fw: HERE'S ANOTHER SECRET...but this is a GRUESOME ONE!!!

  • Rita Fazio
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 10, 2003
      From:"Karen Dawn": karendawn @ dawnwatch.com; (remove spaces)

      L. French
      Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 8:04 PM
      Subject: DawnWatch: USA Today front page story on cow consumption dangers

      The Tuesday, June 10, edition of the nation's most highly circulated newspaper, USA Today, has a front page story headed, "Consumers may have a beef with cattle feed."

      Elizabeth Weise opens her article with,
      "If you don't finish your steak at a restaurant, did you know the leftovers might be dinner for a cow? Or that calves, instead of drinking their mothers' milk, are fed formula made from cows' blood?"

      She tells us, "Americans have a bucolic image of cows happily chomping grass in fields. Many don't know that modern animal husbandry practices have provided cheap, plentiful meat through such standard practices as feeding
      cattle not only pieces of their herd mates (before the practice was banned in 1997) but also chicken litter, leftover restaurant food and out-of-date pet food."

      Weise discusses the outbreak of Mad Cow Disease in Britain and tells us, "In response to the outbreak in Britain and other European countries, the United States and Canada in 1997 made it illegal to feed cows meat and bone meal made from ruminants. The feed bans in both countries do allow use of that feed for poultry and pigs.

      "But the larger concern since the inception of that ban has been that there were too many loopholes, too many ways for material that can transmit mad cow to get to cows and then possibly to humans."

      We learn that the ban doesn't apply to restaurant scrapings, which may be fed to cows, or to poultry feed, which can be fed back to cows in or with poultry droppings, or to pet food, which may contain beef products and may be fed back to cows.

      The use of cow blood is an issue: "Spray-dried cow and pig blood is used in feed to provide protein, as a soluble product to mix in animals' drinking water and, most commonly, as a milk replacement for calves. Blood serum is especially effective as a supplement for calves that are removed from their mothers at less than 24 hours after birth.

      "Though scientists have been able to transmit the sheep version of mad cow via blood, no one has been able to do it in cattle.

      "But Stauber, author of the Mad Cow book, finds it laughable that while U.S. regulatory agencies are cautious enough about the human blood supply that
      they don't allow anyone who lived in Britain in the 1980s to donate blood, they feed cow blood to cows every day and then allow them to be eaten."

      Stauber is quoted:

      "The question is whether it can be transmitted by oral feeding. But those experiments involve years, if not decades. We have to err on the side of caution....Every time there's media attention to this issue, every time
      consumer and producers start asking questions, we get this lip service out of USDA and FDA that 'Yes, we need to do the right thing; it's just going to take time.' But they're just not ready to bite the bullet - it's too economically painful for the livestock feed industry."

      You can read the whole article on the USA Today website at:
      http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2003-06-09-beef-cover_x.htm

      This front page story provides a perfect opportunity for a letter to the editor on the joy of eating a diet free of animal products. Please take a few minutes to jot down some lines. If many letters are received on the
      topic (original only - no sample letters please) then at least one is likely to be published.

      USA Today takes letters at:
      editor @ USAToday.com (remove spaces)

      Always include your full name address and telephone number when sending a letter to the editor.

      Yours and the animals',
      Karen Dawn
      www.DawnWatch.com

      (DawnWatch is an animal advocacy media watch that looks at animal issues in the media and facilitates one-click responses to the relevant media outlets.
      email KarenDawn @ DawnWatch.com (remove spaces)
      and tell me you'd like to receive alerts. If at any time you find DawnWatch is not for you, just let me know via email
      and I'll take you off the subscriber list immediately. If you forward or reprint DawnWatch alerts, please do so unedited and include this tag
      line.)

    • nanookadenord
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 11, 2003
        "This front page story provides a perfect opportunity for a letter to
        the editor
        on the joy of eating a diet free of animal products."

        More like the joy of a diet that is not right for everyone, but we
        don't care about the human race and that if some people are forced to
        go on this diet will die. We being the Animal rights community of
        course!

        --- In therealpeta@yahoogroups.com, "Rita Fazio" <r.e.fazio@w...>
        wrote:
> [...]
        DawnWatch,