HORRIBLE MISTREATMENT/STARVATION of GOATS/SHEEP...

  • Rita Fazio
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2003
      << It kills us to think we're keeping them alive so they can be given back to this monster. He's had an easy month- others have taken care of his livestock, no cost, work or time to him! >> Hi my Friends: This man Fausto Flores (or Florez) HAS GOT TO PAY for what he's doing to his livestock. I bet he uses them to be served in his restaurant, and as they reproduce themselves, he has enough flesh to serve and doesn't care that they get crippled, injured, or starve to death! This msg is incredible and the people who are feeding without pay so many animals since April 2, are even MORE incredible. We've got to help, please? Thanks so much! Adela ----- Original Message ----- From: <budsin5@...> (vbe.com); t: <tthomas@...> (tomah.com)Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 1:23 PMSubject: WISCONSIN---Please help---Animal abuse/ cruelty/ neglect
      <budsin5@...> (vbe.com) writes: I have tried to be patient and kind, and wait this out. I
      know that the whole process of upholding the law and enforcing the law has certain steps to take. Marquette County Law Enforcement and Officials have apparently stopped the process on an "animal neglect/mistreating animals/starvation that has resulted in death" charge. This is a felony that Fausto Flores
      is going to get away with. I will try to condense this,
      although it has been a VERY long drawn out affair.
      On April 2nd, I requested a police officer meet me at N7220
      (I believe that is the fire number) Hwy. 22 to check on some animals. This property is 10 miles north of Montello and 10 or 11 miles south of Wautoma on Hwy. 22. It
      is just north of Timbers Supper Club, on the east side of
      the road. We found about 23 dead goats on a pile, and approximately 32 goats and 7 sheep alive. There was no food or water. Of the dead, there were young and old, some mothers who died during birth with the babies halfway out of them. That first night, Officer Matt Krueger took MANY photos. On
      April 4th, Dep. Chief Kim Gaffney, Dr.Hines, and Det. Jeff Tomlins went back with a search warrant, took more photos. Dr. Hines report came back "death from starvation, and the live ones were extremely malnourished."
      This was told to me by Det. Tomlins. All the evidence was given to Marq. Cty. DA Dick DuFour. Mr. Flores has been charged with "failure to provide food and drink"... A neighbor has been providing hay, which is what Dr. Hines stated
      they needed, and the 2 of us have been feeding these animals
      EVER SINCE APRIL 2nd! The owner does not live on the property, and he has been there maybe 4-5 times, only to throw out a couple dishes of corn (which is NOT what they need nutritionally to keep them alive, nor is 3 dog food panfuls enough to feed all those animals) and to burn the dead ones after our part-time Health Dept. Official foolishly gave him permission to, even though they were not enclosed properly (they were in a pile in the yard, for gosh sakes).
      All through this ordeal, we have been given the impression
      that the animals would be removed if homes could be found. Homes, places for them to go for foster care, HAVE been found. And by outsiders, civilians, not Marquette County officials. And now we find out that they really have no
      intention of removing the goats and sheep. I'm pretty sure
      they're not even going to slap Mr. Flores' hands.
      We have taken care of them, as requested by Det. Tomlins,
      for over a month. WE DON'T CARE! WE ARE GLAD TO DO IT TO KNOW THEY'LL STAY ALIVE! It kills us to think we're keeping them alive so they can be given back to this monster. He's had an easy month- others have taken care of his livestock, no cost, work or time to him! Marquette County got the same deal, didn't they?
      As long as we take care of them, they don't have to. If we would let them all starve to death, then he may have worse charges brought against him. If we'd only let them continue to starve to death...
      These goats and sheep are gentle, hungry creatures. They are
      in desperate need of good homes, food and MEDICAL ATTENTION! There are many that can hardly walk because their hooves are grown across each other, or
      down, or into their skin... There is one missing a back
      hoof... There is one with a wounded, bloody front leg (for at least 4 days that we know of). I'm no expert, but I'm quite sure some are pregnant. There are a lot with "growths"
      on them. And even though we're there everyday, they are
      still all skin and bones when you pet them.
      The person who has claim to these poor animals is Fausto
      Flores, or Florez, as he sometimes spells it. Check out the court website, he's there under both spellings. He is, get this, an "At Risk" TEACHER at one of the elementary schools in Wautoma!!!! And he owns the Mexican restaurant
      in Wautoma. I don't know the name of it, but it's across
      from Billy B's Bar. The people who have been involved in this besides myself- Randy Dittmer, Town Constable (went that first night, and a few times after)-920-293-5017;
      Det. Tomlins, Dep. Chief Gaffney-1-800-852-0350;
      veterinarian Dr. Hines, Oxford; President of Columbia County Humane Society and Wis. Dells K-9 Officer Brian Landers- work 253-1611, cell 393-3491. I've also gotten encouragement and advice from the pro, Karen at Tri- CASA in Green Lake,
      which in turn got me connected with Joy Waterbury, a
      volunteer there and, what do you know?, a newspaper reporter!
      My name is Chris Wollert, and I'll gladly tell you anything
      else I can. My neighbor and I would just as soon have our names kept out of any story, because we are afraid of retribution. This neighbor, who has been providing the hay, and doing so much of the work, is known to this Flores guy.
      He is a closer in distance neighbor to Flores than I am. We
      are afraid for his barns, property, animals. Although he asked me not to give his name (?), you can call him :) His phone is 920-293-8318. He knows I'm writing to all of you and is expecting your call. I'm sure he'll fill you in on his name.
      And he knows all the facts! He has as much a story to tell
      as I do! I am so sorry for rambling on like this, but I really can't
      help it. It just spills out when I'm mad. We found out today, through Joy, that they really seem to want to let this just blow over quietly, and forget these animals.
      No removal, no punishment for Flores... You know, we have to
      listen to grown human beings say, quite often, that "they're only
      animals." Guess what- there are laws AGAINST animal abuse/
      cruelty/ neglect. LAWS!
      It is the job of these officials to enforce and uphold the
      LAW! I am gone from home from 7-5, or thereabouts. Some nights after work I don't get home till real late because my sons have ball games at least twice a week. So calling me is hit and miss. I am real good about checking my email.
      But, like I said, my neighbor is usually home (retired) and
      knows as much about this as I do.
      I sure hope that if you have some way to help us help these
      goats and sheep, that you let us know and you do it. If we can get this story out to the public, we'd be VERY happy!
      Thank you very much in advance for anything you can and will
      do!

      Chris Wollert
      920-293-4620
      <budsin5@...> (vbe.com)

      --
      "But when the buffalo went away the hearts of
      my people fell to the ground, and they could not

      BOYCOTT Montana until they STOP the SLAUGHTER
      Check it out at http://www.wildrockies.org/buffalo

      The Wolf's story: Lonely Loner:
      http://www.attictrinkets.com/lonelyloner/lonelyloner.html

      Give Hope to the Mill Dogs
      BOYCOTT Stores that Sell Puppies!
      http://www.hua.org

      Exposing the Cruel Realities Behind the PMU Industry
      Please throw away your PREMARIN (Pregnant Mares Urine)
      http://www.friendsofanimals.org/pmu/pmu1.htm
      http://www.premarin.org/

      Rita Fazio,
      Media Liaison, Sirius Global Animal Org. Charitable Trust. http://sirius.2kat.net Don't turn your back upon their pain, because it's hard to see.They have no other place to turn, They've only you and me.

    • Rita Fazio
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2003
        I wrote to DA Richard Dufour, and below is the reply I received. He seems to be doing everything he can to help those animals. Unfortunately, the laws for animal cruelty are lacking. We need to concentrate on getting better laws for the animals, so DA's can prosecute these cases.

        "Dufour, Richard" <Dufour.Richard@...> wrote:From: "Dufour, Richard"
        To: 'Rita Fazio'
        Subject: RE: JUST A QUESTION:PLEASE REPLY ASAP: HORRIBLE MISTREATMENT/STAR
        VATION of GOATS/SHEEP...