URGENT LETTER: (CT) Admitted Cat Killer Set for Trial in 2003 (Adonis)

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2002
      Alert prepared by bbwest@... (snet.net) Source: Animal Legal Defense FundAdmitted Cat Killer Set for Trial
      Published 12-11-02 (Newington, Conn.)
      A Connecticut woman who has admitted she killed her roommate's cat � but offered no apology or indication of regret � faces felony charges of cruelty and conspiracy to commit cruelty. Jill Mazurek of Newington, Conn., will go on trial in 2003 along with two men who allegedly witnessed the killing but did nothing to stop it, Michael Oziomek and Michael Pajak.
      All three defendants petitioned for an accelerated rehabilitation program that would have entailed probation, no jail time and, eventually, no criminal record. Judge Joan Alexander rejected Mazurek and Pajak's petition, and Oziomek withdrew his. That cleared the way for a trial before Judge Howard T. Owens Jr.
      To thank Judge Alexander, send a letter to:
      The Honorable Joan K. Alexander
      J.D. & G.A. 15 Courthouse
      20 Franklin Square
      New Britain, CT 06051

      Please encourage Judge Owens to impose the maximum sentences against Mazurek, Pajak and Oziomek of five years in prison and fines of $5,000 each.

      CONTACT: The Honorable Howard T. Owens Jr.
      New Britain Superior Court
      20 Franklin Square
      New Britain, CT 06051 SAMPLE LETTER Written by Barbara Biel bibiel@... (yahoo.com)Edited by bbwest@... (snet.net) ***Please send by postal mail ASAP***================================================================================ The Honorable Howard T. Owens Jr.: The following letter accurately expresses my opinion regarding this issue. I am writing with regard to the felony charges of cruelty and conspiracy to commit cruelty against Jill Mazurek and her accomplices, Michael Pajak and Michael Oziomek, for the alleged torture and killing of a cat. The horrendous nature of their brutal actions justify the most severe punishments. If found guilty, I respectfully request that you impose the maximum penalties allowed under Connecticut law of five years in prison and fines of $5,000 each. According to a Hartford Courant article, "3 Face Cruelty Charges" (May 7, 2002), Jill Mazurek, Michael Pajak and Michael Oziomek tortured, beat and repeatedly tried to drown the cat in Silver Lake last February. Allegedly, Mazurek shaved off the cat's fur and the three of them took the animal to the state-owned boat launch on Silver Lake. Mazurek then threw the cat in the water, but the animal struggled to crawl back onto the shore. Then with Pajak holding the cat down, Mazurek hit him with a bottle and then threw him back into the water. When the cat crawled ashore once again, Mazurek grabbed him, struck him against a concrete block and then again tossed the cat in the water. The cat was now exhausted but was able to crawl out of the water yet again. Then Pajak poked the cat several times with a stick as the cat was lying on the ground, then shoved him back into the water. Mazurek told police she could hear the cat trying to get out yet again before he stopped moving. Although Ms. Mazurek has admitted she killed her roommate's cat, she offered no apology or indication of regret. According to a statement signed by Mazurek, she tortured and killed her roommate's cat because of a dispute over rent. Though the statement details Adonis' death in excruciating detail, police sources told a local newspaper that Mazurek expressed no remorse while admitting to the crime. As you may know, social scientists and law enforcement officials have identified animal abuse as a symptom of emotional illness and a precursor to violent crimes against human beings. As a society, we must call a halt to the acceptance of cruelty to animals and enforce a policy of harsh punishment for these crimes. To allow individuals guilty of perpetrating such cruel acts to go unpunished or not sufficiently punished would be to sanction these horrific crimes and would permit them to go on to commit serious and violent crimes against humans. This crime goes beyond all possible bounds of decency so as to be regarded as atrocious and utterly intolerable in civilized society. For the safety of the community, I urge you to impose the maximum penalties against these individuals, and require that they receive psychological counseling. In addition, I ask that they be prohibited from having future contact with animals. Thank you for your valuable time and consideration.

      Colleen Klaum

      Be the voice for the voiceless, join our group today:

      Do you Yahoo!?