FDA Releases Preliminary Data on Acrylamide in Foods

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2002
      Source: FDA News Digest for December 9, 2002

      FDA Releases Preliminary Data on Acrylamide in Foods

      New data showing a correlation between levels of acrylamide in foods and the
      length of time and temperature at which the food is cooked are part of
      preliminary results FDA has released regarding the chemical's presence in
      foods. Acrylamide is known to cause cancer in animals at high doses, but
      researchers do not know if the chemical causes cancer in humans or animals
      at the low levels found in foods. The issue was discussed at an FDA Food
      Advisory Committee meeting Dec. 4 and 5.

      http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/2002/ANS01179.html

      Colleen Klaum

      Be the voice for the voiceless, join our group today: