LIVING DHARMA TODAY - Jan. 25, 2009

  • drfmrls
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2009
      LIVING DHARMA TODAY
      Authentic Dharma for Today's World
      January 25, 2009 - Founded in 1998
      (Eleven Years of Excellence in the Service of Dharma)

      "Dr. Frank Morales represents the Sankalpa [the will] of the Hindu
      people and the cause of Sanatana Dharma. I urge all Hindus
      everywhere to give him your full support, assistance, and
      encouragement in his crucial work. He needs and deserves our help."

      - Dr. David Frawley (Oct. 14, 2007)

      Editor's Corner

      Welcome to LIVING DHARMA TODAY, the free online newsletter dedicated
      to the spiritual teachings of Sri Dharma Pravartaka Acharya, and to
      the global renewal of Sanatana Dharma.

      Though 2008 was a year of great economic catastrophe for much of the
      world, and 2009 promises to also be a year of similar perilous
      economic and political developments, this new year also offers us many
      unique opportunities for personal spiritual growth, and for the
      revival of Sanatana Dharma globally. Where there are tremendous
      challenges, after all, there is also the opportunity for tremendous
      achievement!

      As we enter into this new year, there have been many new and exciting
      developments in the teaching mission of Sri Acharyaji, with many more
      to come!

      The first of these changes is the new name of our old newsletter
      Dharma Journal. Signaling the new dynamic momentum of our activities,
      we are now called LIVING DHARMA TODAY. LIVING DHARMA TODAY is
      dedicated to bringing you the most cutting-edge articles, news, and
      information on the global Dharma community. As our new name
      indicates, our focus is on Dharma as the dynamic, living gift that it
      is for us today. Dharma is alive! Dharma is meant to be lived. And
      Dharma represents the future of our planet.

      Read our news section below for more new developments!

      Aum Shanti,

      Tulasi Devi
      Editor
      LIVING DHARMA TODAY

      The Teachings of the Bhagavad Gita

      Always perform your duty efficiently and without any selfish
      attachment to the results, because by doing work without attachment
      one attains Supreme. (3.19)

      King Janaka and others attained perfection of Self-realization by
      selfless service (Karma-yoga) alone. You should also perform your duty
      with a view to guide people, and for the welfare of the society. (3.20)

      Because whatever noble persons do, others follow. Whatever standard
      they set up, the world follows. (3.21)

      O Arjuna, there is nothing in the three worlds — heaven, earth, and
      the lower regions — that should be done by Me, nor there is anything
      unobtained that I should obtain, yet I engage in action. (3.22)

      Because, if I do not engage in action relentlessly, O Arjuna, people
      would follow My path in everyway. These worlds would perish if I do
      not work, and I shall be the cause of confusion and destruction of all
      these people. (3.23-24)

      Sanatana Dharma is the Eternal Natural Way

      "Sanatana Dharma (commonly referred to erroneously as "Hinduism") is a
      spiritual path that has existed since the beginning of time. It is a
      path that is both ancient in origin, and profound in its understanding
      of the nature of reality. Sanatana Dharma is completely unlike any
      other religious tradition in existence. Rather than reflecting the
      dogmatically inclined expressions of denominationalism, sectarianism,
      and divisive religious doctrines that are of more recent origin,
      Sanatana Dharma is a spiritual expression of the divine intelligence
      that naturally underlies the more empirical aspects of our cosmos.
      Sanatana Dharma is the Eternal Natural Way. As such, this path
      represents the pre-religious, primordial essence of all true
      spirituality, philosophy, and yearning to know the higher Reality, as
      well as the very foundation of any and all attempts to establish a
      civilization based upon eternal ideals."

      - Sri Dharma Pravartaka Acharya

      From: " Sanatana Dharma: Eternal Natural Way ". To be
      released June, 2009. http://dharmacentral.com/dharmastore.php

      Announcements:

      1. New Dharmacentral.com!

      Since its inception in 1998, Dharma Central
      (http://www.dharmacentral.com) has provided its readers with the
      highest quality, and most authoritative information on the philosophy,
      practices, history, and true nature of Dharma.

      Now Dharma Central has been completely recreated to reflect the new
      conditions that our world is facing in 2009. The old Dharma Central
      is retired, and a new and exciting era for Dharma Central has begun!
      With many more features, a radically updated look, and constant
      updates, Dharma Central has now been retooled to serve your needs
      better, and to serve a world that needs Dharma now more than ever.

      If you haven't visited Dharma Central in some time, come see our new
      changes!

      The New Dharma Central: http://www.dharmacentral.com

      2. Acharyaji's Fast Update:

      As was previously announced, on January 5, 2009, Sri Dharma Pravartaka
      Acharya began an arduous thirty day fast. Living on only water and
      juice, and engaging in intense public meditation and prayer every day
      of this period, Sri Acharyaji has undertaken this very austere Great
      Vow for Dharma (Dharmodaya Maha Vrata) in order to prepare the
      spiritual groundwork for the revival of Dharma in our world, as well
      as to encourage others to practice Dharma more faithfully.

      While such Maha Vratas have been performed in the past by great gurus,
      rishis, and Acharyas, as recounted in the ancient Hindu scriptures,
      such an undertaking is very rarely performed in today's era. As of
      this writing, Sri Acharyaji is on day 20 of his thirty day fast, and
      has lost 15 pounds. We thank all the hundreds of people who have sent
      their heartfelt messages of solidarity, concern, and support for Sri
      Acharyaji during this historically significant occasion.

      For more information about the nature of this fast, as well as
      constantly updated photos, videos, daily updates on Sri Acharyaji's
      progress, and information on how you can be involved, please visit
      Dharma Central:

      http://dharmacentral.com/calendar.php#secondlevel

      Latest video interview of Sri Acharyaji discussing the Dharmodaya Maha
      Vrata:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcxCwtS23w8

      3. "Taking Refuge in Dharma" Book:

      Are you interested in understanding the traditional process involved
      in taking initiation from an authentic guru? Sri Acharyaji has now
      written a booklet designed to answer all your questions called:
      "Taking Refuge in Dharma: The Initiation Guidebook." To order your
      copy, please visit us online: http://dharmacentral.com/dharmastore.php

      4. Do You Live in the Midwest? Join Midwest Dharma!

      The purpose of Midwest Dharma is to provide announcements about the
      classes, seminars, pravachanas (spiritual talks), and satsang
      schedules of Sri Dharma Pravartaka Acharya (Dr. Frank Morales, Ph.D.)
      in the states of Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, and Kansas.

      Dr. Morales serves as the Resident Acharya (Spiritual Preceptor) of
      the Hindu Temple of Nebraska, and as the Founder-President of the
      International Sanatana Dharma Society.

      Currently, Sri Acharya Ji conducts two weekly Satsangs in Omaha,
      Nebraska (Every Wednesday, 7:30 - 8:30 PM at the Omaha Healing Arts
      Center; and every Sunday at noon at the Hindu Temple of Omaha), and a
      monthy Satsang in Lincoln, NE. In addition, Sri Acharya Ji conducts a
      full schedule of classes at the
      Hindu Temple in Omaha, as well as frequent seminars and intensives.

      Do not miss this rare opportunity to learn from an authentic and
      highly recognized Dharma Teacher.

      5. Multi-Media / IT Volunteer Help Needed

      "Dharma Outreach through Cutting Edge Media Technology"

      Our goal is to create our own alternative global Dharma media
      infrastructure, completely independent from mainstream media outlets.

      We are in the process of producing the highest quality media
      presentations on Sanatana
      Dharma in the world today. This media includes the production of DVDs,
      books, magazines, websites, Internet forums, CDs, and other forms of
      media. We will also be producing Hindu television and radio shows. To
      accomplish this, we need your volunteer help.

      If you have any knowledge or expertise in web design, graphic design,
      video editing, sound editing, Internet commerce, podcasting, online
      promotion, forum development, or other aspects of Internet
      development, please
      contact us today and help us to increase the presence of Sanatana
      Dharma on the
      Internet.

      We would also greatly appreciate any digital video/audio equipment,
      computers, monitors, or other IT hardware equipment you would like to
      donate.

      Please also forward to us any copyright-free, royalty-free
      Hindu/Dharma images you have for use in our presentations.

      Please Contact:
      Tulasi Devi
      Director of Multimedia Development
      International Sanatana Dharma Society
      heatherlim7@...
      (281) 235-3181

      We appreciate your help in our mission to teach Dharma to a suffering
      world.

      6. "Dr. Morales List" reaches 5700 members on Yahoo Groups!:

      Sri Acharyaji's primary message group now has over 5700 members,
      placing it in the top 3 largest Yahoo groups dedicated to Sanatana
      Dharma. It has been the fastest growing Hindu group in the history of
      Yahoo Groups! If you're not already a member, please join today and
      begin receiving some of the very best information on Sanatana Dharma
      available anywhere today: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/drmoraleslist/

      7. Dharma Nation Channel:

      The new Dharma Nation Channel is one of the fastest growing channels
      dedicated to authentic Sanatana Dharma on Youtube.

      http://www.youtube.com/DharmaNation

      We will be adding HUNDREDS more videos to the Dharma Nation Channel in
      the next few months. Please check back often.

      Sri Dharma Pravartaka Acharya (Dr. Frank Morales, Ph.D.) is widely
      recognized as one of the most important, inspiring, and authentic
      Dharma teachers in the world today. Sri Acharyaji teaches authentic
      Dharma philosophy in a manner that is practical for today's world,
      intellectually stimulating, and designed to lead his students to a
      direct experience of the Divine. This channel is dedicated to sharing
      Sri Acharyaji's teachings with the world.

      Please subscribe to the Dharma Nation Channel to see many more
      upcoming videos. Please link to this new exciting channel. Please
      forward this important notice to anyone interested in understanding
      and serving Sanatana Dharma. Help us to serve you, and to serve
      Dharma. Thank you.

      DHARMA NATION CHANNEL
      http://www.youtube.com/DharmaNation

      " Always have an open mind, but never at the expense of a sharp
      intellect. Discernment without an open mind leads to fanaticism and
      empty skepticism. But an open mind without discernment leads to
      costly mistakes and the deepening of illusion. Be open, yet
      discerning, in all your thinking. Learn to use the power of
      discernment in all your decisions. Discernment is having the ability
      to separate truth from untruth, real from unreal, good from
      deleterious. Discernment is a sharp sword with which you can separate
      what is truly in your best interest from that which only seems to be."

      - Sri Dharma Pravartaka Acharya

      From: "The Art of Wisdom: Affirmations for Boundless Living".
      Released April, 2008. http://dharmacentral.com/dharmastore.php

      Yogini: The Enlightened Woman
      Written by Shambhavi Chopra

      From the book, Yogini: Unfolding the Goddess Within by Shambhavi Chopra

      In the Bhavani-nama-sahasra (the Thousand Names of the Goddess
      Bhavani) as beautifully explained by Pandit Jankinath Kaul, "A Yogini
      is one who is possessed of magical powers.'' Para Shakti, the Supreme
      Shakti, in the form of Durga is given the name Yogini. She assumes
      various forms and takes on different divine energies to maintain
      harmony in the Universe, to combat evil and uphold the good. A woman
      who gains a transcendental state in sadhana comes back as a celestial
      Yogini or Bhairavi, a female adept at Yoga. She carries the energy of
      Durga within her.

      A true Yogini is an enlightened woman with exuberant passion,
      spiritual powers and deep insight. Yoginis communicate a sense of
      freedom, a sheer mastery in whatever they do. With their compelling
      gazes, they can hypnotize even a great yogi and are capable of
      changing their shapes at will. Tantric scholars have written about
      Yoginis as independent, outspoken, forthright women with a
      gracefulness of spirit. Without them, yoga can fail in its purpose and
      remain sterile.

      Shakta texts honor both women and the Earth alike as sources of
      energy, vitality, physical and spiritual well-being. Noting this
      analogy between a Yogini and the earth, an eleventh-century Tibetan
      Cakrasamvara commentary states: "Having recognized a Yogini who will
      delight and transmit energy and power to him, and feeling passionately
      attracted to her, if the male aspirant does not worship that Yogini,
      she will not bless the yogi, and spiritual attainments will not
      arise.'' Miranda Shaw's book, Passionate Enlightenment, which was
      introduced to me by Lokesh Chandraji, first exposed the world of the
      Yogini to me from a Buddhist perspective.

      In Hindu thought, the Yogini represents the Yoga Shakti herself, the
      Kundalini, as well as the resident powers or female deities of the
      different chakras. The Yogini possesses the power of Yoga herself and
      can awaken that in others, not only generally but at any point or
      place in the body or mind. A man's ability to achieve the higher
      states of Yoga can be facilitated by his association with such a
      female companion who reflects this energy.

      Just as a Goddess blesses and benefits her devotees, and the Shakti
      vivifies all biological, cultural, and religious practices, so a woman
      can channel this life force or spiritual energy to her
      consort-devotee. A woman is no more depleted by providing this
      spiritual nourishment than a mother by nursing her child. In fact, it
      causes deeper energies to well up from within her.

      This spiritual energy is not something that a man can extract or take
      from a Yogini at will. She chooses when and on whom to bestow her
      blessings. Her ability to enhance a man's spiritual development
      depends upon her innate divinity as awakened and brought to fruition
      by her own yogic practices, which include envisioning herself in the
      forms of various Goddesses and investing herself with Their
      appearances and ornaments, tender and wrathful expressions, and
      supernatural powers for liberating beings. By conferring energy and
      grace upon a man - ''blessing '' or ''empowering'' him - she is not
      weakening herself but rather sharing her energy voluntarily with one
      who has won her favour by meeting the various requirements that she
      may impose.

      This relationship parallels human-divine relationships in so far as
      the deity is the benefactor and the human devotee is the beneficiary.
      Although the Deity may derive some gratification from the
      relationship, the devotee has much more to gain than does the
      sovereign object of his devotion. What supplicants ultimately want
      from their deity is supreme deliverance or liberation, and this is
      what male Tantrics should seek to gain from their relationships with
      spiritual women. Tantric texts reiterate that a man cannot gain
      enlightenment without respecting women and allying himself inwardly
      with a woman. The woman's beneficence is a gracious, yet voluntary
      response to her devotee's supplication, homage and worship.

      The Goddess is a great Yogini, devoted to Shiva, yet matching His
      powers. She is the embodiment of pure energy, the Mother and matrix of
      all manifestation, the source of all time, space and creation. As they
      practiced Yoga together, Shakti accepted Shiva as her Guru, and he
      taught her the ways of transcendent being to guide her to her ultimate
      liberation. Shiva in turn also accepted Shakti as his Guru, and she
      initiated him into his ultimate liberation through putting him in
      touch with the supreme power of consciousness.

      The Goddess Chhinnamasta, the deity who cuts off her own head,
      symbolizes the great Yogini, the wonderful consciousness beyond the
      mind. She represents the opened Third Eye from which flashes forth the
      lightening of direct perception that destroys all duality and
      negativity. She is the Yoga Shakti or power of Yoga in its most
      dramatic action of granting enlightenment. Hence she is also known as
      Vajra Yogini. The Vajra is the supreme lightning force of the inner Self.

      Chhinnamasta is the Para-Dakini, the supreme or foremost of the
      Dakinis, the attendant Goddesses on the yogic path, who are the
      yoginis as the powers of the chakras. Sadhakas seeking the path of
      occult or yogic powers should worship her, as reiterated by David
      Frawley in his book Tantric Yoga and the Wisdom Goddesses, invoking
      her through the mantra based on her name as Vajra Vairochani. This
      facilitates all inner transformations in a dramatic way.
      The Yogini is also Bhairavi or the Goddess of Fire below in the
      muladhara or root chakra. It is she who becomes Chhinnamasta as she
      reaches the third eye and opens the crown chakra beyond. Her blood is
      light that illumines everything.

      Mary Magdalene was such a Yogini, manifesting her Shakti through the
      flow of light from her heart and soul. Her Divine love was
      unconditional and independent of external situations and dogmas. Yet
      Divine love is not limited to the ascetic. In my understanding of
      Tantra, if two spiritually evolved beings come together in
      unconditional love, they also can create an energy field that is most
      positive and rare, exuding high vibrational levels of peace and love
      into the universe.

      The ancient cultures of Egypt, Greece, Tibet and India have esoteric
      traditions glorifying the initiatory power of the woman. She is
      considered to be the high priestess who unfolds all higher knowledge
      and powers for us. She is Sophia, the source and font of wisdom or
      Prajna, the deepest insight into the nature of things. Tantric
      teachings stress the importance of physical beauty in a companion but
      only to initially stimulate and then elevate passion from the sensual
      to the spiritual plane. The beauty of the soul surpasses physical beauty.

      The `initiatory' power of woman is tremendous, providing the force of
      passion that is necessary for developing experiential mysticism. By
      sharing the secrets of love, a woman can bestow transcendental power
      on her lover. The highest form of Shakti is the direct expression of
      the wisdom-energy she releases, creating a joyful transformation. A
      woman can initiate her partner into such mystical experiences through
      trust, surrender to higher ideals and spontaneity. It is the Goddess
      within each woman who really initiates.

      To be a Yogini is the highest spiritual goal for all women. It is the
      way to become one with the Goddess within and to bring her out in
      expression to uplift the world that is really her creation. Yet it is
      not an outer appearance but a state of inner energy and ecstasy that
      makes the Yogini. She cannot be manipulated, defined or even ever
      entirely known.

      For more information of Sri Shambhavi Chopra, please visit her website
      at:

      http://www.shambhavi-yogini.com/

      "Dr. Frank Morales represents the Sankalpa [the will] of the Hindu
      people and the cause of Sanatana Dharma. I urge all Hindus
      everywhere to give him your full support, assistance, and
      encouragement in his crucial work. He needs and deserves our help."

      - Dr. David Frawley (Oct. 14, 2007)

      For further information on the philosophy and path of Dharma, please
      visit us on the web:

      National Sri Acharyaji Links

      http://www.dharmacentral.com

      http://www.youtube.com/DharmaNation

      http://dharmacentral.com/dharmastore.php

      http://www.drfrankmorales.sulekha.com

      http://www.myspace.com/dharmapravartaka

      http://groups.myspace.com/yogaspirituality

      http://dharmanation.blogspot.com/

      http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=46417306622

      http://www.facebook.com/people/Dharma-Pravartaka-Acharya/1140161318

      Dharma Media Links

      http://dharmacentral.com/dharmamedia.php

      http://dharmacentral.com/dharmamedia/dharmatv.php

      http://dharmacentral.com/dharmamedia/dharmaradio.php

      http://flickr.com/photos/dharmacentral

      Midwest Links

      http://www.meetup.com/dharmacentral/

      http://www.myspace.com/omaha_satsangha

      http://groups.myspace.com/OmahaMeditation

      Other Highly Recommended Dharma Links

      http://www.vedanet.com/

      http://www.shambhavi-yogini.com/

      http://www.hinduismtoday.com/

      Thank you to all our many members and readers for your enthusiastic
      support and encouragement of LIVING DHARMA TODAY and the teaching
      efforts of Dr. Frank Morales. We wouldn't be able to accomplish
      anything without your well-wishes.

      Please forward this LIVING DHARMA TODAY newsletter to all your
      friends, family, blogs, and discussion lists interested in Sanatana
      Dharma, meditation, and Yoga spirituality.

      (c) 2009, Dharma Journal. Volume 11, issue 1

      Welcome to the Dharma Revolution!