Americans Welcomed into Sanatana Dharma in Historic Event

  • drfmrls
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2008
      Eight Americans Welcomed into the Sanatana Dharma Tradition

      June 1, 2008
      Omaha, NE, USA

      In a historic religious event that occurred on Saturday, May 31, 2008,
      eight Americans were formally welcomed into the ancient tradition of
      Sanatana Dharma (Hinduism) in a sacred initiation (diksha) ceremony at
      the Hindu Temple of Nebraska.

      The ceremony was overseen by Sri Dharma Pravartaka Acharya (Dr. Frank
      Morales, Ph.D.), the Resident Acharya (Spiritual Preceptor) of the
      temple, and Professor Alekha Dash, who conducted the traditional fire
      ceremony (yagya) central to any authentic Hindu initiation rite.

      Though Hinduism is not a religion that overtly seeks converts, many
      Americans and Europeans have nonetheless enthusiastically embraced the
      tradition in the past. This represents the first time in history,
      however, that such a large number of Americans have been welcomed into
      the tradition at one time.

      In accepting Sri Dharma Pravartaka Acharya as their guru (spiritual
      teacher), these newly committed American Hindus vowed to devote
      themselves to living a Dharma lifestyle, to meditate upon God each
      day, and to express compassion toward all they encounter.

      Included among the new initiates were: two professors, a practicing
      psychiatrist, a retired lawyer, and a nurse, among others.

      First Non-Indian Women Awarded with Brahmana Thread

      In a related historical development, Ms. Heather "Tulasi" Mortensen
      was awarded brahmana initiation during the same ceremony, and awarded
      with a sacred thread. Though traditionally Hindu women were known to
      have been given sacred threads during Vedic times, this practice came
      to a stop at some point in the history of Hinduism. Thus, this
      thread-giving ceremony (known as upavita-samskara in Sanskrit)
      represents the very first time in world history that a non-Indian
      woman has been awarded such a sacred thread. Sri Acharyaji stated to
      the large audience observing this event that "I know that this
      historic precedent is only the beginning of the reclamation of an
      ancient and important Vedic tradition. My hope is that this
      represents only the first of many thousands of women who I will see
      awarded the sacred thread in my lifetime."

      The two hour event was followed by a celebration dinner in the
      temple's auditorium.

      For further information, please contact us at info@...,
      (402) 896-4294

      http://www.dharmacentral.com