Wizard's space

  • Sharon Hendricks
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2010
      I have been listening to DH again and something occurred to me.  They are talking about how crowded it is in the Burrow with everyone there for the wedding.  Arthur knows how to do Wizard's Space.  Why couldn't that be used on a house in order to provide more space?

      Sharon
    • Shanyn
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2010
        What an interesting question! It worked on the Anglia, and the tent, and Hermione's purse. Perhaps even Moody's trunk? Why not the Burrow?

        It could just be an example of a disconnect in the logic of the magical world. It doesn't work because, otherwise, all wizards would live in palaces. Even though there is apparently no logical reason it shouldn't work. Maybe it's that way just because JKR says it is.

        I wonder if it doesn't work for the same reason that conjuring food or money won't work. Maybe when one considers how permanent a house is supposed to be, how it's often the basis of someone's financial status in the world, that's where the stability of the spell breaks down? That the space would shrink back to normal after a short time, so what's the use?

        But then again, wizard residences are typically charmed out the wazoo. Wards and Unplottability (am I even close to spelling that right?) and Muggle-Repellants are the tip of the iceberg here.

        Or maybe the Burrow already *has* been expanded to it's limits by Wizard Space? Perhaps it was really a literal burrow that has been magically stretched into a home that accommodates a family of nine?

        Thanks for sharing the fantastic question. I suspect no one will ever know the answer definitively....

        shosier

        --- In thepetulantpoetess@yahoogroups.com, Sharon Hendricks <harrypotterfan1972@...> wrote:

        > I have been listening to DH again and something occurred to me. They are
        > talking about how crowded it is in the Burrow with everyone there for the
        > wedding. Arthur knows how to do Wizard's Space. Why couldn't that be used
        > on a house in order to provide more space?
        >
        > Sharon

      • Maria Hill
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 12, 2010
          What we know about the Burrow is from Harry's POV and it's described as a house that could only be standing because of magic.  The first(ground to you in UK) floor is a pigsty[?], I think, or is that not canon?  It was once a stone one story building and has been magically built onto and up.

          I have the impression that Arthur and Molly have used as much 'enlargement' as is possibly on the house while adding rooms already. I suppose they could have gotten magical permits to add an addition, but I also think that the house is at maxi um height or the near by town/village people would notice it.

          There may be a 'square foot' clause in ownership on the ground floor space. I'm fairly sure that whatever additions are done to a dwelling - there is a magical office of the ____ at the Ministry for such filings, requests, and records. possibly. Magical building codes, Wizard Inspectors, Magical Contractors, etc....

          So it's possible that the Burrow has reached it limits. It might also be quite expensive to add on magical additions or enlarge interiors.

          Just a thought

          Maria