People in the know (gnosis that is): Jung and Yeats

  • netemara888
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2002
      Part I: Carl Jung

      "H. P. Blavatsky and her Theosophical Society wrote the book on
      secret traditions. Most esoteric movements ever since have found it
      almost impossible to step outside of her (sometimes unconscious)
      influence. A few groups calling themselves Gnostic have appealed to
      an underground yet pervasive `gnosis' rather than to the ancient
      historical Gnostic sects…

      Indeed in our century there have been several appropriations of
      Gnostic motifs. The psychologist, C. G. Jung, continually refers to
      the Gnostics in his writings and was often photographed `wearing his
      Gnostic ring.' His lifelong interest in the subject was rewarded in
      1952 when the Jung Institute in Zurich…presented him with a recently
      discovered Gnostic papyrus manuscript. This `Jung Codex' is now our
      Nag Hammadi Codex I…In 1916…he believed his house to be filled with
      paranormal phenomenon…in the early 1950s Dr. Jung defended himself
      against an attack by Martin Buber (a Jew). Under discussion was the
      entire body of Jung's work, but Buber pointed a particularly snide
      finger at `his little Abraxas opus.' The criticism was that Jung had
      overstepped the boundaries of psychology into religion, and had
      located God in the unconscious (rather than in Buber's transcendent
      Thou).

      Jung took all of this seriously "Why is so much attention devoted to
      the question of whether I am a Gnostic?"

      From :"The Nag Hammadi Library" The definitive new translation of the
      Gnostic scriptures. James M. Robinson – general editor

      Netemara

      Comment: Jung is undoubtedly one of the biggest voices of influence
      in psychology even today. He DID mix psychology with religion. He was
      influenced by Theosophy without a doubt. HE was the antithesis to
      Freud's belief in a Godless voice. They were to part ways. Jung's
      commentaries on spiritual works from Eastern quarters have become
      classics in their own right. Why did Martin Buber have a problem
      with Jung bringing God into psychology? Did he then have no problem
      with Freud leaving God out of the mind of man?

      Netemara