Re: Theos-World Re: So was this materialization/precipitation "a big CON" too?

  • leonmaurer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2002
      In a message dated 11/23/02 11:40:55 PM, bartl@... writes:

      >leonmaurer@... wrote:
      >> Appreciate your quoting such documentation, or giving me some
      >> references -- (preferably on the web, if possible). My father, a
      >> master chemist, occultist, stage magician, show producer, and good
      >> friend of Houdini, demonstrated how Moses pulled off his trick of
      >> turning his real staff to a snake and back to a staff -- to defeat the
      >> snake trick of the Egyptian Priests (which my dad told me were simple
      >> tricks of alchemy). However, since I suspect that there isn't any
      >> real evidence that Moses' trick had anything to do with paralyzing a
      >> real snake, as claimed by Brian/Bridgitte, I'd like to confirm this.
      >

      > I didn't know your father was Walter Gibson.

      Afraid I don't know who Gibson is. But I don't suppose my dad had a monopoly
      on those sort of connections -- which is a very small part of describing who
      he was or his credibility in knowing how Moses' tricks worked.

      > Over the years, my magic (stage) library has steadily decreased. It's
      >not in any of my current volumes, and, as it reveals how tricks are
      >done, it is not likely to be on the web (I looked anyway, using a BUNCH
      >of different search terms and phrases). I had read it in at least three
      >history of magic books; two used the wood explanation, one gave as
      >alternatives the wood and the paralyzed snake theories. The last also
      >gave detailed explanations of Egyptian temple hydraulics, so I would not
      >dismiss the "minority report" out of hand.

      I think that carved wood (or natural wood, since there are many tree branches
      that grow in the necessary spiral shape) is the most likely contender for the
      snake-staff Moses used. I tried this trick myself, using a walking stick I
      made from a wild cherry tree whose branch had the correct diminishing cycle
      spiral shape with an arched handle at the head end. When I threw the stick
      down on the floor (in front of half a dozen people I came to meet in small
      hotel lobby) with the remark "Here's my pet king snake, oops!" -- and it
      slithered wiggly across the floor and under a couch -- everyone jumped up in
      horror and ran outside. Later, when I got them to come back with the
      assurance that the snake was harmless and probably hiding in the dark under
      the couch -- they were amazed when I reached under it and pulled out a
      walking stick that they all had seen me with for at least a year. This is
      perfect example of how the power of suggestion and misdirection, or as HPB
      called it, "glamour," works. It works even better if you use an incense
      stick made out of hashish to fog people's minds a bit. :-)

      Did you ever think that the Burning Bush that Moses talked to and got his
      inspirations from God, was a Cannabis Sativa that may have been struck by the
      lightning and thunder he heard while wandering in the desert? II wouldn't be
      surprised if that was the same oasis grove of trees where he found and carved
      his snake staff. Deserts, ocean rafts, and mountain tops can do that to you.
      I once did a weekend camp-out alone in the Mojave desert, and had one heck
      of a transcendental experience... And, even talked to my higher Self, or God,
      if you will (without any burning bushes, smoky dope, or chewy mushrooms.:-)

      LHM