Re: Theos-World The Secret Doctrine

  • samblo@cs.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2002
      Etvion,
      Welcome back. Well, which particular Book by name and year and edition
      do
      you excerpt the Stanza VII qoute from?
      John
    • Frank Reitemeyer
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 26, 2002
        >into Hebrew as well, like Manvantara was translated as *period of action*,

        Etzion, first my congratulations for your heavy task to translate the SD
        into Hebrew. It was new to me that so far no Hebrew edition exists.
        But please let the technical terms as they are. Terms like Manvantara,
        karma, mahatmas, pralaya are not being translated into French or German
        either.
        A Sanskrit term is a Sanskrit term for a European or American student as
        well as for a Jewish student.
        One reason is that this terminology which comes from the old original
        sources helps all students worldwide to communicate and understand and
        reduces misunderstandings, another reason is that neither Hebrew, nor
        French, nor German or English etc. have actually equal terms for the
        Sanskrit words.
        Any translation is a loss and our theosophical technical terms have a life
        of its own.
        Frank
      • Etzion Becker
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 26, 2002
          Thanks Frank; we are aware of it. It is actually a team work, myself, the
          Israeli Theosophical President in Israel, his secretary, and others as well.
          We have been considering all these points. It will take a few more years
          before we will reach an acceptable version. We do our best. I trust we will
          have a good edition. Love, Etzion

          > Etzion, first my congratulations for your heavy task to translate the SD
          > into Hebrew. It was new to me that so far no Hebrew edition exists.
          > But please let the technical terms as they are. Terms like Manvantara,
          > karma, mahatmas, pralaya are not being translated into French or German
          > either.
          > A Sanskrit term is a Sanskrit term for a European or American student as
          > well as for a Jewish student.
          > One reason is that this terminology which comes from the old original
          > sources helps all students worldwide to communicate and understand and
          > reduces misunderstandings, another reason is that neither Hebrew, nor
          > French, nor German or English etc. have actually equal terms for the
          > Sanskrit words.
          > Any translation is a loss and our theosophical technical terms have a life
          > of its own.
          > Frank

        • Etzion Becker
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 26, 2002
            Thanks; I have "An Abridgement of the Secret Doctrine"; 260 pages.
            first date of copyright 1966
            First Quest Book edition, 1967
            published by The Theosopical Publishing House, Wheaton. Illinois.
            a department of the Theosopical Society in America.....
            Sixth Quest Book printing, 1992.
            ISBN: 0-8356-0009-2
            It is Stanza 7.
            Thanks, Etzion